Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply ~Roleplay Planning and OOC~
Make Roleplaying Great Again

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:22 am
So I'm not new to this guild, in any sense, however I've been on a long hiatus. In fact I've been on many, and will likely be on more. I got off to college (if all goes correctly) in January, so my time may become limited. However, I would like to try and get the creative juices and such flowing again, or at the very least, establish a new precedent that I've come to enjoy in D&D; the ability to always come back to a roleplay.

Let's face it, life happens. But roleplaying doesn't have to stop happening. We all are dealing with school, or jobs, but in and among that, I've had some amazing sessions in D&D that's led to a lot of laughs, excitement, and bonding. It's a concept I'd like to explore, creating "campaigns" that, if necessary, can be paused and come back to at a later date by everyone involved. Certainly would make it a lot easier on some of us, and so long as the story continued to be good, we wouldn't have to worry about it dying off completely.

But I digress. My reason for being here is that I'm looking for a group of skilled rpers to maybe spend some time with, perhaps here on Gaia, or perhaps elsewhere where it could be easier to keep track of things. I can't promise a whole lot right now, but what I can tell you I'd like is to have a small sample of roleplaying again, a little teaser, to get my creativity (and hopefully yours too) flowing again.

I've done horror rather well in the past, I have an incredibly detailed "steampunk"/fantasy world RP that is getting close to being almost like it's own D&D (minus the gameplay mechanics right now), and I've held my ground in other rp's as well.

If you're a brave soul looking for some adventure, then tell me what you want, what you really really want. I'll do my best to work together with all of you to come up with something fun and immersive, maybe only for a short while, or maybe for a long time to come. I make no promises, but I will do my best to spice up your life.

So post here, let me know your thoughts, let me see some of your skill, and perhaps we can work together to make something great. Even if it's only temporary, if we can create a strong, dedicated group of roleplayers looking for something more flexible to the things they have to commit to in life, then I truly believe we will be on the path to making roleplaying great again.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:07 am
Lord Sithious
So I'm not new to this guild, in any sense, however I've been on a long hiatus. In fact I've been on many, and will likely be on more. I got off to college (if all goes correctly) in January, so my time may become limited. However, I would like to try and get the creative juices and such flowing again, or at the very least, establish a new precedent that I've come to enjoy in D&D; the ability to always come back to a roleplay.

Let's face it, life happens. But roleplaying doesn't have to stop happening. We all are dealing with school, or jobs, but in and among that, I've had some amazing sessions in D&D that's led to a lot of laughs, excitement, and bonding. It's a concept I'd like to explore, creating "campaigns" that, if necessary, can be paused and come back to at a later date by everyone involved. Certainly would make it a lot easier on some of us, and so long as the story continued to be good, we wouldn't have to worry about it dying off completely.

But I digress. My reason for being here is that I'm looking for a group of skilled rpers to maybe spend some time with, perhaps here on Gaia, or perhaps elsewhere where it could be easier to keep track of things. I can't promise a whole lot right now, but what I can tell you I'd like is to have a small sample of roleplaying again, a little teaser, to get my creativity (and hopefully yours too) flowing again.

I've done horror rather well in the past, I have an incredibly detailed "steampunk"/fantasy world RP that is getting close to being almost like it's own D&D (minus the gameplay mechanics right now), and I've held my ground in other rp's as well.

If you're a brave soul looking for some adventure, then tell me what you want, what you really really want. I'll do my best to work together with all of you to come up with something fun and immersive, maybe only for a short while, or maybe for a long time to come. I make no promises, but I will do my best to spice up your life.

So post here, let me know your thoughts, let me see some of your skill, and perhaps we can work together to make something great. Even if it's only temporary, if we can create a strong, dedicated group of roleplayers looking for something more flexible to the things they have to commit to in life, then I truly believe we will be on the path to making roleplaying great again.

I prefer rp's that use statistics to some degree over purely narrative rp's. I find that a couple numbers helps keep the characters in the same realm of ability and potential. Also adds a more realistic element of risk.

I've played a number of d&d sessions among other systems and think some really good roleplay comes from them. With the dice rolling mechanic in posts, running such sessions would be possible here, however, there are also sites like rolz.org that allow you to roll dice and link results while keeping all the dice rolls in a common table. I've ran forum based dnd sessions before in this way. Alternatively, this thread could also just be the ooc thread for a roll20 table game or something like that.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 pm
Novama
I prefer rp's that use statistics to some degree over purely narrative rp's. I find that a couple numbers helps keep the characters in the same realm of ability and potential. Also adds a more realistic element of risk.

I've played a number of d&d sessions among other systems and think some really good roleplay comes from them. With the dice rolling mechanic in posts, running such sessions would be possible here, however, there are also sites like rolz.org that allow you to roll dice and link results while keeping all the dice rolls in a common table. I've ran forum based dnd sessions before in this way. Alternatively, this thread could also just be the ooc thread for a roll20 table game or something like that.

I appreciate the feedback, and I have to say, I'm a little in favor of what you're suggesting! While I do love a good narrative roleplay, it's just so much harder to narrate in failure than it is success, not without an appropriate incentive and form of randomization (both of which the dice provides).

I'm open to trying all kinds of different forms of dice systems as well, whatever ends up working best for a whole group would be what I would ultimately go with. I'd be more than happy to play at DM too, though expect me to throw in my own characters too. Ultimately I'll make a rule of "no character deaths" as well (if someone dies but doesn't want to lose the character, I'll try and find a way to weave them back in, but don't expect it to be without costs), though if someone does want a character of their's to die, then I have no issues helping that along. lol

Another thing comes to mind. So often we have groups of people (in narrative roleplays) that end up splitting up from each other and forming into their own groups. While that's fine and dandy, that makes roleplaying all together quite hard. That said, the beautiful thing about doing things in a "D&D" style is that we can do that, we'll have one general story we're all a part of, but have the different groups in their own sections following their own "campaign". Assuming these are all people who're friends, they can always move back and forth between campaigns and parties, so long as we have reasonable excuses for how they got there. lol And assuming they're enemies, then we can have combined campaigns meets where the groups perhaps battle. Would end up taking a while to maybe get through everyone, but if we've got the time, dedication, and can streamline things a bit, I think it can go quite well. With that said, I've had battles in D&D that've taken an hour or more to finish, so it's not exactly out of the norm. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:20 am
Lord Sithious
Novama

I appreciate the feedback, and I have to say, I'm a little in favor of what you're suggesting! While I do love a good narrative roleplay, it's just so much harder to narrate in failure than it is success, not without an appropriate incentive and form of randomization (both of which the dice provides).

I'm open to trying all kinds of different forms of dice systems as well, whatever ends up working best for a whole group would be what I would ultimately go with. I'd be more than happy to play at DM too, though expect me to throw in my own characters too. Ultimately I'll make a rule of "no character deaths" as well (if someone dies but doesn't want to lose the character, I'll try and find a way to weave them back in, but don't expect it to be without costs), though if someone does want a character of their's to die, then I have no issues helping that along. lol

Another thing comes to mind. So often we have groups of people (in narrative roleplays) that end up splitting up from each other and forming into their own groups. While that's fine and dandy, that makes roleplaying all together quite hard. That said, the beautiful thing about doing things in a "D&D" style is that we can do that, we'll have one general story we're all a part of, but have the different groups in their own sections following their own "campaign". Assuming these are all people who're friends, they can always move back and forth between campaigns and parties, so long as we have reasonable excuses for how they got there. lol And assuming they're enemies, then we can have combined campaigns meets where the groups perhaps battle. Would end up taking a while to maybe get through everyone, but if we've got the time, dedication, and can streamline things a bit, I think it can go quite well. With that said, I've had battles in D&D that've taken an hour or more to finish, so it's not exactly out of the norm. xD

Trouble is: while these ideas are great, I have tried in the past to assemble groups here to do roleplays with systems. Most rp'ers during those times couldn't math, so systems struggled to take off. Those were largely systems that didn't even use dice. To get something like this off the ground, it will take a lot of persuasion and pm'ing folks to give it a shot. I find that most authors won't commit to task to that degree though, and the project inevitably fails.

That said, I would expand range of invites to barton town in addition to current guild members. More likely to get attention that way.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:57 pm
Novama
Trouble is: while these ideas are great, I have tried in the past to assemble groups here to do roleplays with systems. Most rp'ers during those times couldn't math, so systems struggled to take off. Those were largely systems that didn't even use dice. To get something like this off the ground, it will take a lot of persuasion and pm'ing folks to give it a shot. I find that most authors won't commit to task to that degree though, and the project inevitably fails.

That said, I would expand range of invites to barton town in addition to current guild members. More likely to get attention that way.

This is very true. Well, I am willing to forego the use of dice and system in some roleplays, so long as the basic mechanics of how we deal with "parties" and "campaigns" remains, and in particular that we agree to have group sessions that work for each other to ensure the roleplay continues to move forward, rather than asking people to post randomly through the week. I think when you can commit to a certain date for a certain period of time, it makes getting things done easier. lol

That said, we can definitely keep using dice and a system for other roleplays, I only mention taking them out of certain roleplays for the uninitiated. Though with that said, I'll still act as DM, I'm going to have to do my best to make sure people don't godmod or Mary Sue their way to the end, myself included. xP

I'll look at posting something in Barton Town, but in all my time on Gaia, I've never really been sure what that is. xD Guess I've just been too lazy to ask, or too busy in this guild. But with the unsettling amount of inactivity within large roleplaying guilds these days, it seems to me like we're in desperate need of fresh blood, and creativity.

I'm guessing Barton Town is related to the actual Gaia forums though? A place where people across the site can go to roleplay? My older sister roleplayed a lot in the forums, I should have picked that up more myself, but was always a little intimidated by it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:58 am
Lord Sithious
Novama

This is very true. Well, I am willing to forego the use of dice and system in some roleplays, so long as the basic mechanics of how we deal with "parties" and "campaigns" remains, and in particular that we agree to have group sessions that work for each other to ensure the roleplay continues to move forward, rather than asking people to post randomly through the week. I think when you can commit to a certain date for a certain period of time, it makes getting things done easier. lol

That said, we can definitely keep using dice and a system for other roleplays, I only mention taking them out of certain roleplays for the uninitiated. Though with that said, I'll still act as DM, I'm going to have to do my best to make sure people don't godmod or Mary Sue their way to the end, myself included. xP

I'll look at posting something in Barton Town, but in all my time on Gaia, I've never really been sure what that is. xD Guess I've just been too lazy to ask, or too busy in this guild. But with the unsettling amount of inactivity within large roleplaying guilds these days, it seems to me like we're in desperate need of fresh blood, and creativity.

I'm guessing Barton Town is related to the actual Gaia forums though? A place where people across the site can go to roleplay? My older sister roleplayed a lot in the forums, I should have picked that up more myself, but was always a little intimidated by it.

Yep, the Barton Town is part of the site's forums specifically for creating roleplays. Not as active as it once was, It still has quite a few active roleplayers in it. Rather than posting thread, I would recommend pm'ing authors and players directly. Folks are more likely to reply. The OOC sub-forum of barton town would work for posting an interest/chat thread to talk about it.

The reason forum rp'ing works and is popular is due to its lack of commitment to single days and times. Could be tricky for some to commit to showing up, especially, considering gaia has a wide spread fan base.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 am
Novama
Yep, the Barton Town is part of the site's forums specifically for creating roleplays. Not as active as it once was, It still has quite a few active roleplayers in it. Rather than posting thread, I would recommend pm'ing authors and players directly. Folks are more likely to reply. The OOC sub-forum of barton town would work for posting an interest/chat thread to talk about it.

The reason forum rp'ing works and is popular is due to its lack of commitment to single days and times. Could be tricky for some to commit to showing up, especially, considering gaia has a wide spread fan base.

I used to do direct messages to rpers back in the day, sadly it seems as though most of the site has become inactive though, so finding people still active hasn't been easy. But going over to Barton Town might be a good idea, pull up some new people. I agree to with your point on forum rping, I think it fits better for people to have open commitments on things. I mean, getting everyone together on a single day to push through a chunk of roleplaying would be nifty, but if people will be too busy for the story to move forward that quick, I understand that as well.

I might take a gander over there soon, see if I can find anyone of interest, invite some folks, and maybe start an interest thread to see what people think about some of my own ideas. You have any thoughts on how this guild could be sort of revived more? Things have gotten INCREDIBLY slow sadly. Back when I first joined, the whole first page was essentially full of roleplays that had posts that were usually only a day old at most. Now, it seems like most of what's on the first page goes as far back as a few months old. I dunno if fixing this is possible, but I personally would hate to see the guild die out.

Then again, Gaia in general seems to be suffering right now. Seems there aren't as many people growing up with an interest in roleplaying as when I got into it. :/  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:10 am
Lord Sithious
Novama

I used to do direct messages to rpers back in the day, sadly it seems as though most of the site has become inactive though, so finding people still active hasn't been easy. But going over to Barton Town might be a good idea, pull up some new people. I agree to with your point on forum rping, I think it fits better for people to have open commitments on things. I mean, getting everyone together on a single day to push through a chunk of roleplaying would be nifty, but if people will be too busy for the story to move forward that quick, I understand that as well.

I might take a gander over there soon, see if I can find anyone of interest, invite some folks, and maybe start an interest thread to see what people think about some of my own ideas. You have any thoughts on how this guild could be sort of revived more? Things have gotten INCREDIBLY slow sadly. Back when I first joined, the whole first page was essentially full of roleplays that had posts that were usually only a day old at most. Now, it seems like most of what's on the first page goes as far back as a few months old. I dunno if fixing this is possible, but I personally would hate to see the guild die out.

Then again, Gaia in general seems to be suffering right now. Seems there aren't as many people growing up with an interest in roleplaying as when I got into it. :/

Gaia ownership changed hands. Those in power were more about the money than the community. The marketing push that made gaia so popular in the beginning faded. As the old members grew up and left, there wasn't a push to get new members. The community dwindled as did the guilds and roleplaying in general. Gaia will not likely see a resurgence.

As for the guild, it's possible to keep the guild going and semi-active till the end, however, it takes a lot of work of regularly recruiting new members and existing roleplayers. Even with all that, there has to be rp's for new members to arrive and see/participate in. If they show up to see a bunch of old or full rp's, they will not stay long.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:21 pm
Novama
Gaia ownership changed hands. Those in power were more about the money than the community. The marketing push that made gaia so popular in the beginning faded. As the old members grew up and left, there wasn't a push to get new members. The community dwindled as did the guilds and roleplaying in general. Gaia will not likely see a resurgence.

As for the guild, it's possible to keep the guild going and semi-active till the end, however, it takes a lot of work of regularly recruiting new members and existing roleplayers. Even with all that, there has to be rp's for new members to arrive and see/participate in. If they show up to see a bunch of old or full rp's, they will not stay long.

That is incredibly depressing. sad I wasn't really around for Gaia's inception, but I came around a few years later, and it was such a vibrant community. True, many roleplays wound up dying, but the sheer number of roleplays that were getting put out... It almost feels now like the owners want the site to just die, maybe they want to scare off the old members and make this more into a kid's game site, sometimes it feels like it's becoming that. I hope you're wrong about the resurgence, but I know what you're saying is highly likely.

That's very true, we definitely need more rps going, but it's hard when so few people seem interested in sparking them up. I'd do more myself, but I'm a wee bit busy, and was kind of hoping to actually join a few myself. But you're right, seeing old or full rps is very discouraging, always has been. Wish we hadn't switched site owners. Might have been able to give them advice on how better to advertise and attract new members. It's very clear to me that we need to focus on a young audience as well right now, if we want to grow a future for roleplaying. Need ads on youtube, Steam, and other sites where younger people might frequent. I originally heard about Gaia mostly through my older sister, and word of mouth. If not for those two things, I may have never gotten involved in it.

If I have more time in the future, I'll see what I can do in the way of roleplays myself. If there is still life to breathe into this guild, I'll try and do my part.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:13 am
Lord Sithious
Novama

That is incredibly depressing. sad I wasn't really around for Gaia's inception, but I came around a few years later, and it was such a vibrant community. True, many roleplays wound up dying, but the sheer number of roleplays that were getting put out... It almost feels now like the owners want the site to just die, maybe they want to scare off the old members and make this more into a kid's game site, sometimes it feels like it's becoming that. I hope you're wrong about the resurgence, but I know what you're saying is highly likely.

That's very true, we definitely need more rps going, but it's hard when so few people seem interested in sparking them up. I'd do more myself, but I'm a wee bit busy, and was kind of hoping to actually join a few myself. But you're right, seeing old or full rps is very discouraging, always has been. Wish we hadn't switched site owners. Might have been able to give them advice on how better to advertise and attract new members. It's very clear to me that we need to focus on a young audience as well right now, if we want to grow a future for roleplaying. Need ads on youtube, Steam, and other sites where younger people might frequent. I originally heard about Gaia mostly through my older sister, and word of mouth. If not for those two things, I may have never gotten involved in it.

If I have more time in the future, I'll see what I can do in the way of roleplays myself. If there is still life to breathe into this guild, I'll try and do my part.

I stand corrected. Lanzer, the originator of the site, is back. It may be possible for a resurgence ^_^  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm
Novama
I stand corrected. Lanzer, the originator of the site, is back. It may be possible for a resurgence ^_^

Oh noice!!! blaugh Here's hoping that's true! The one thing I think Gaia seriously needs right now is some better advertising. lol Seriously, there are people out there wanting to roleplay, but they have no idea Gaia even exists, and their skills? Their roleplaying skills definitely need some work. But what has Gaia been (in some of the guilds and Barton) if not an impromptu school to sharpen our roleplaying skills? smile Here's hoping for a resurgence, the internet needs a decent place to do its roleplaying, I know I sure haven't found another one. xD  
~Roleplay Planning and OOC~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games