Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
(Interest Check) A game with a homebrew system

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of game would you like to play?
  Standard Medieval Fantasy
  Superheroes fighting crime
  Mech Warrior-esque game
  Bounty Hunting Space Fighters
View Results

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:09 am
Years back, before I joined the D&D guild, in fact before I really even knew about D&D, I joined a guild on Gaia called the RPS guild, which had its own custom system. It was my first introduction to any kind of role playing system and it was what got me involved in that kind of game.

Unfortunately, the guild has been defunct for years now (since 2010), but I was thinking about adapting the system from that guild to run a game in here. It would be an open world kind of setting. That was one of the beauties of the system; it could be played with one or more people and was built to work in a play by post format with very open character creation. I'm trying to decide what world to build and I'm curious what my guild mates think.

The game was originally a medieval fantasy setting, so it would require little to no changes, beside the mechanic changes I want to do, to bring it over here. However, we already have D&D, Pathfinder and several other systems for this.

A superhero setting wouldn't require too much effortt to adapt; I would mostly have to change the items to modern day equivalents. We don't really have this setting in the guild so I figured it would be a nice addition.

The mechwarrior or space fighter setting would take a lot more work and would call for a lot of redesign in the system, but I'm curious if it piques anyone's interest. What do people think?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 am
A Hero can always break out of a tough spot!

You've got me interested!  

Winter Wondork

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:37 pm
Anything not medieval sounds groovy.
I've actually been itching for a good superhero rp, but nobody ever runs them.

Mechs are cool too. Gundam/zoids-esque awesomeness.

Space bounty hunters are less awesome than the other 2, but okay.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:47 pm
Give some details about the system.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:23 pm
I will be using the system that was in place here in my old guild. Though I will be modifying it extensively to simplify combat and balance out some of the abilities. You can peruse the old system here but it will be different by the time I make it available for play.

The RPS guild

I can rattle of what I plan to change but I don't think it will make a lot of difference to those who haven't already played in the rps guild before.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm
Heroes sounds like fun. If you do start it, count me in.  

Lavander42

Dapper Star

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:05 pm
Kowsauni
I will be using the system that was in place here in my old guild. Though I will be modifying it extensively to simplify combat and balance out some of the abilities. You can peruse the old system here but it will be different by the time I make it available for play.

The RPS guild

I can rattle of what I plan to change but I don't think it will make a lot of difference to those who haven't already played in the rps guild before.

So I feel as if the equip stat is useless. 5 equip let's you equip +5 items that just add to another stat. why spend equip 4 on armor for 4 defense when I could just get 4 defense?

The other thing that I noticed was that this is pretty much com at centric with no room for social or mental character's beyond roleplaying. Will your rule changes address these issues?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 pm
The equip stat allows you to switch up stat allocations on the fly. You spend 4 points on defense, that is where it is going to stay. But lets say you know your next mission is going to be against a bunch of squishy spell casters. You know spells ignore defense so you can switch out your shield and instead equip a sword for extra damage. Also, not all equipable items are just stat boosts. There are items that have special effect, like a blood dagger that lets sacrifice HP to add to attack. So equip does have its uses. Its about versatility. It will be good for a person who wants to make a gadget using type of character.

I will also be adding non combat abilities you can invest character points in such as telepathy or the ability to fly. These will be relatively cheep.

As for social interactions I don't have anything planned. It just going to be up the the players to make their arguments convincing. This is going to be a super hero RP anyways. Its going to be about punching super villains in their faces. I'm not planning a lot of political intrigue, though once I complete the system I will allow people to run thier own games as long as their own player character is not in the game they run.  

Kowsauni
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces