Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rain D&D house rule vote

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about this new house rule?
  I like it! It'll encourage me, and others, to post faster!
  I don't like it. It's unnecessary and rewards some while punishing others.
View Results

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 pm
I had an idea, based on SCN's rapid response to my last post in Orb of Kendar. I wanted to run this by the players currently active in my D&D games.

How would you feel about a house rule where if someone posts their turn within X hours after I post, they get a +2 Reward bonus to their (first) d20 roll that turn? This would be actual turn posts, not a roll in the dice roll thread then coming back half a day later, not posting a question in the OOC and then taking your turn later. Your actual full turn.

I'm thinking 2 hours after I post for now.

I want to ask the players currently active in my D&D games, which is right now Orb of Kendar and War and Peace. The reason I'm not outright implementing it, is in case people are turned off by the idea because they would never benefit from it. Luckily, Gaia has polls!

Paidi tou Selini

Kowsauni

SCN_ Grey_fox

Plainsfox

aqua_inc

Madokamagica123

If you like the idea but feel there should be some variation to it (smaller bonus, longer period of time, retype the bonus to a different 'bonus' or combat advantage, etc), feel free to post suggestions below! If you aren't lynched by the others, then I'll consider it instead!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:08 pm
I see no reason not to try it out if you think it will encourage more rapid posts. It's a nice little bonus but not too powerful to be considered unfair for those who cant make the post limit.

That being said I'm not sure it will have the desired effect of making people post quicker, I know I already post whenever I get the chance, but I see no harm in trying it out.  

Kowsauni
Crew

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm
I would agree with Kows and suggest a longer time period, at least at the start, maybe 3 or 4 hours instead.

Another idea, would be accelerated acquiring of Action Points... though, that could be due to the fact I just used mine  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 am
SCN_ Grey_fox
I would agree with Kows and suggest a longer time period, at least at the start, maybe 3 or 4 hours instead.

Another idea, would be accelerated acquiring of Action Points... though, that could be due to the fact I just used mine

You DO realize I have an Action Point acquisition house rule in place already, right? I've had it all along. No one's ever tried to utilize it.

Rain Yupa
Action Points - If some says or does something particularly memorable, they may be nominated by other players for an action point. Anyone, even the original author, can request it get quoted in the Bard's Tale section. But it takes 3 people, EXCLUDING the author, to support this and get it put there. If it gets elected, the author can earn a free action point (no more than one per adventure). I reserve the right to veto if I think players are trying to abuse this rule.

Basically, rewards for being awesome. So if Thork does something particularly awesome, Kowsauni Paidi and Plainsfox can all vote for it being awesome and BAM! Action point get.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:52 am
Yes and No... ninja

I mean I knew of it, though wasn't clear on the process. So, we just say we want to give some one a cookie in occ. And that starts it?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:46 pm
Outsider opinion her, awesome idea, but the time should probably be 8-12 hours. reason being work, time zones, school, ect. it is still faster than most, but doesn't tempt people to risk their jobs/grades to get that bonus.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:42 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
Yes and No... ninja

I mean I knew of it, though wasn't clear on the process. So, we just say we want to give some one a cookie in occ. And that starts it?

That starts it. Though it has to be due to awesome. Simply getting a nat 20 isn't "awesome" (though for some of us, super rare!). It has to be good writing and good action usage, even if it's something like someone making a strength check (doesn't even have to be a critical) at the risk of their own life to hold open a closing gate and preventing a TPK, and well-written to boot.

Basically, be awesome.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:01 am
If I am allowed to vote, I don't like the idea. Under combat or skill check challenges, it is swell, but outside of those hours it is lack luster, and it is those times the game tends to kill a game for PBP games, unless if something changed in my year gone.

I would suggest a bonus to exp, drawing a number out of the air, 50 exp to the person or party for these "rapid" posts.  

Alzzak

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:29 am
Yes, you are allowed to vote. And frankly, unless the feedback was overwhelmingly 'yes' I wouldn't utilize the proposed houserule.

Also, for the record, I give 2x Experience in D&D already sweatdrop Character progression is slow enough with PBP.

The thing that kills PBP games is still people not posting frequently mad I try to be as prompt as I can with my posts; in Kowsauni's game, during the first arc, at one point everyone had seemed to stop posting. My words were, and I quote, "I'm totally willing to turn this into a solo adventure!"  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:33 am
I also came up with an idea that I -am- going to enforce though, starting with W&P's first encounter and OoK's next one: Default actions. If you take too long, I take your default actions for you (and if they weren't what you would have done, you shouldn't have waited days (or longer) to post!). I feel that's probably better than making someone go full defense or holding their action.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas