Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Marketplace tips! (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a marketplace seller or buyer?
  Seller
  Buyer
View Results

pastel doge

High-functioning Noob

10,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:36 am
gaia_diamond I'm no marketplace pro and I'm sure a lot of other people probably want a few tips on how to sell and buy the most economical way possible.

If you can, I'd love a few tips on how to make the most of selling items and how to save the most when buying. Some questions include:

1. Should I attempt to haggle prices if shop owners welcome it? Even if I can afford the item?
2. Is it a good idea to make your prices higher than others on the listing page? Should you always list lowest?
3. Ignoring the fact that it's greedy, should you attempt to inflate the price of rare/unlisted items? Is this economical?

Any other tips are appreciated! gaia_gaiagold  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:49 am
pastel doge

Sadly I am not a huge MP connoisseur, but I know that T3h Vending Guild have a great vending guide biggrin

What road do I take?
"Where do you want to go?"
I don't know.
"Then, it really doesn't matter, does it?"  

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 am
1. If they're okay with it, you should still give a reasonable offer. If you come in too low, they won't take you seriously and might ignore your offer. However, this all depends on whether they're online or not. It's not worth waiting if you can afford the item and it's already a good price. Someone else might buy it while you're waiting for the seller to respond.

2. It depends on how fast you need your item to sell. If you aren't in dire need of gold, it doesn't hurt to not be the lowest. You should still check out the graphs, though. If the item is on a downward trend, you might want to get rid of it asap. If the trend wavers back and forth, you might have some room to play.
Just know that items can get re-released at any time, though, and lose tons of value.

3. Personally, I'd say no. > < On the other hand, it's always worth trying to see what people will pay for something.

Items are re-released in RIGs all the time. Personally, I wait and buy items once they're released that way. I can wait, though. I don't feel the need to have the newest and shiniest items. I don't mind owning items a year later. XD; Like, a lot of these 100b+ items will be 5b or 25b or less next year due to some re-release.

Some of the items will recover in price after a RIG is gone; others won't. Knowing which items to buy and sell just takes knowledge of knowing what Gaians like. ... I buy for keeps, though. I don't care whether an item recovers value or not as long as I get to wear it. xD

Anyway, what's even better is when those re-release RIGs get put into tiers.
Here's a current example of what I mean: The Angelic Fishing Hole is a RIG that releases old items and it's in the current tier. Lots of people are opening them... so the values of the prizes are dropping. I usually skim through that list for items that I've wanted forever, but couldn't afford before.
...That RIG isn't a perfect example, because there's a wide variety of prizes. So not all prizes will decrease in value.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:03 pm
sdrawkcab
You should still check out the graphs, though. If the item is on a downward trend, you might want to get rid of it asap. If the trend wavers back and forth, you might have some room to play.
Thanks for the tip on the graphs! I always ignore them and considering I'm a cheapskate when it comes to Gaia that's not a good thing...  

pastel doge

High-functioning Noob

10,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Energy Generator 250

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:37 pm
Undercutting is a good way to get stuff to sell fast. It makes people upset but I still do it time to time. Undercutting is when you see the cheapest listing and you price your item a few gold cheaper.

Play Lake Kindred and sell the drops you get. Sometimes you'll get rig's and when you open them the items can be worth a lot. That's how I make my gold. heart

I do not suggest that you AI the market. AI stands for artificial inflation. That is when you or you and a few friends buy up all the listings for a popular item and you sell them for a really high price. People that do this are quick to get blacklisted in the exchange.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:06 am
1. Should I attempt to haggle prices if shop owners welcome it? Even if I can afford the item?
If the owners' shops indicates you may PM for haggling, by all means do so! Even if you can't reach a good negotiation that works in your favor, you can at least still ask for the 5% tax deduction.

2. Is it a good idea to make your prices higher than others on the listing page? Should you always list lowest?
Depends on the demand of the item. If the item is an on-demand item and they sell well, you don't have to list them lower than the current LMP. Reason for this is if it's a best-selling, the lower pricing ones will be gone pretty quickly and if the buyers really want the item, they'll get the next lowest one (which could very well be your item!)

3. Ignoring the fact that it's greedy, should you attempt to inflate the price of rare/unlisted items? Is this economical?
There's no point in "inflating" the price. The item's Average Buy Price will not change with just one listing, no matter how much the value changed. If the ABP is much much lower than your LMP, chances are no one will buy your item. In fact, you'll get annoying PMs lowb*lling your item.

Regarding on vending, I'd suggest you try stalking the Vend Listing. You can sort the listing by "Just Added". This is a quick way to nap low-pricing items that were just added, before anyone else can grab it first. If you're very lucky, you may be able to grab mispriced items.  

Toriki-chi

Lunatic

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Sure, if they welcome it, go for it! No harm in asking!

It depends- if you want fast gold or just want to get rid of the item, then post lower. I advise checking out the listings and pricing in the middle, if you don't mind sitting on your item for a while. It might not sell right away, but if it does sell you'll end up with more gold. And if it expires, hey, you can always list again.

I agree with what other posters said. But if you find yourself with an item that has only a few or no listings...feel free to price as you please. mrgreen  
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games