Jason Pratt, a former atheist who spent his fair share of time debunking Christianity, talks about his days in college:

“I even had a few [Christians] as roommates. And I frequently took pleasure in ridiculing them. I generally enjoyed playing their intellectual superior, and I enjoyed challenging what they believed.

“As I was going through school I had a number of other roommates from various other countries: I had a Muslim from Oman, a Buddhist from South Korea, and various other faiths – and it was interesting, none of them really bothered me too much. Their faith and what they said they believed was not of much concern to me: it was really only the Christians.”

This typical is of atheists everywhere. Look up atheist literature from Nietzsche to Russell to Dawkins to Oppy and barely a word will be spoken on New Age beliefs (very influential in pop culture), Scientology (exerting a strong influence in Hollywood), Pantheism – the most influential belief system in the East – and very little will be said in regards to the other “Abrahamic” religions, Judaism and Islam, the latter of which is likely to surpass Christianity as a world religion in the next several decades.

In fact, if one wants to find any literature debunking any of the above, it is Christian authors – not atheists – to which one must look.

Atheist writer and speaker John Loftus gives his fellow non-believers a metaphorical escape-hatch from having to answer the metaphysical claims of other religions in his Outsider Test for Faith. The titular “test” essentially asks Christian believers to examine their beliefs with the same skepticism they have for other religions – like Pantheism and Islam – assuming that once said skepticism is employed, the Christian will reject his or her own belief just as easily.

This “if you’ve debunked one, you’ve debunked them all” approach is certainly convenient in that it allows the atheist to excuse their lack of concern with all world religions and knuckle down to the task of debunking the Christians. Whether or not this is really a workable tactic, it still doesn’t explain why atheists everywhere have selected Christianity and Christians as their one-and-only target.

Read more; Why atheists focus their disbelief primarily on the Christian God

To be right with God has often meant to be in trouble with men. A.W. Tozer

Ultimately I believe, whatever reasons people give that they are hostile to God - it is not politics, it is not growing up in a Christian family but this;

1. The world hates us because we are not part of the world.

John 15:19 The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people to be his very own and to proclaim the wonderful deeds of the one who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

James 4:4 You adulterers! Don’t you know that friendship with the world means hostility with God? So whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God.

2. We are hated because we follow Christ.

John 15: 18 If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.

Matthew 10:22 And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved.

Matthew 24:9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.

3. The world hates God. We remind them of the God they hate so much.

Romans 1:29-30 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy.

John 15:21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.

4. The darkness hates the light.

John 3:19-21 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Matthew 5:14-15 “You are the light of the world–like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

5. They want to keep their sins and they don’t like their sins being exposed.

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil.

Ephesians 5:11 Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them.

6. Satan has blinded the world.

2 Corinthians 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Ephesians 2:2 that you once practiced as you lived according to the ways of this present world and according to the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now active in those who are disobedient.

Bible study: How to Handle Hate (John 15:18-16:4)