Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rain tries to talk Kowsauni into In Nomine Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm
Kowsauni
Hmm, not quite the monster game I had in mind. This game sounds like trying to role play Twilight or True Blood. (My own opinion, but I hate sexy vampires.) Supernatural YA romance isn't really my thing. This game system seems like its trying really hard to be dark and edgy but I guess its all how the DM wants to play it. I'll have to think about it.

Are you trying to say the game is for edgelords so edgy that they might just cut themselves?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 pm
Kowsauni
(My own opinion, but I hate sexy vampires.)

Unfortunately, Nosferatu they ain't. But it's very easy to play just a b*****d vampire instead of playing up the sexy.

Really, the feel of the game depends heavily on what kind of characters there are. If everyone goes heavy social stuff, that's much different than if everyone goes heavy combat. If you read the Vampire playbook, you'll see the vampire moves aren't really about being "sexy".

But yeah, I can see how it might not be your cup of tea. It plays best when there's lots of drama, but it can be tweaked to run certain ways.

Ideally, I'm trying to gauge you for something YOU want to play.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 am
Gamma World or Dudes of Legend!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 am
Ravanan

If Kowsauni declines a personally-run game, you were the first person who sounded interested in stuff I was offering, so by the most sacred right of 'shotgun', you'll be next on my priority list.

In Nomine and Nobilis can be run with 1 minimum but would be better with several. Monsterhearts needs a minimum of 2 though. Since I haven't gotten Everway yet, I'm still uncertain how it runs with player group size (it's been a LONG time since I played it; I just remember I designed my character to be a sentient doll with an extradimensional holding space in his chest cavity, searching to find his master to find out the meaning of his existence; you can create really unique characters with the setting).

Since I don't necessarily have to pitch "good > evil", other games I have:
3:16 - Think starship troopers! You're all marines, and you go around exterminating xeno scum before they can threaten humanity. Pre-emptive strikes! Hoo-ah!
Midnight D&D 3.5 campaign setting - I know at least one person (Raganui) who is interested in this, but would require a decent sized group. Think "Lord of the Rings" if Sauron won, conquered middle earth, and this is 100 years later. A note, though: I will not replace missing players if they drop, and this will get astronomically harder for you with smaller and smaller party sizes.
*All Flesh Must Be Eaten - Zombie apocalypse survival!
*Outbreak: Deep Space - Dead Space-esque Kickstarter RPG game.
*Monsters and other Childish Things - Be a normal kid with a very real imaginary monster best friend!
World of Darkness Games - I have a bunch, both New and Old.
*Trail of Cthulhu - Cthulhu mystery!
*Cthulhu Tech - Cthulhu science!
*Star Trek - What it says on the tin.
Star Wars - What it says on the tin, but not a newer version. Basically, it's Star Wars D&D 3.5. I'm really not much of a Star Wars fan, but the rest of my old gaming group was, hence why I own these at all. Don't expect me to know much of the setting.
Mutants and Masterminds - Be a superhero! For great justice
*Eclipse Phase - Transhuman space sci-fi.
*Anima - Oh god why is this rulebook so confusing, why did I ever buy this?!

That's the nitty gritty of what I own. A few others, of course, but I left those off the list. The original 4 mentioned games are the ones I'd be most keen on running, though. Though maybe Kowsauni might be keen on Mutants and Masterminds since it does uphold the paradigm of good vs evil pretty good?

*Have not actually played before.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:34 pm
Sorry, I don't mean to be ignoring you guys. Adjusting to baby has just been taking up a lot of time and I also have some work stuff I'm going to be finishing up in the next couple of days up before I go on extended baby leave.

I was trying to figure out which game I was more interested in playing.

For Monsterhearts have an existing character I could potentially play as a serpentine character. Rain's initial description made the game sound jovial and humorous. Then I went to the game webpage it displayed the system as being some sort of ansgty teen vampire drama which put me on the fence.

In Nominie sounds interesting but I'm not having any character ideas. I have one Angel-like character concept but its from a very different story setting and I don't think I could adapt it for this. I'm not rulling the game out, i'm just trying to figure out how i would go about playing.

I don't know what "sliders" is but the way you described being able to make a sentient doll does make Everway sound more interesting so If you want to elaborate more on what that game is about i would be interested.

Other then that Mutants and Masterminds is game system I have always been interested in playing. I think I even have some pdf of the game saved somewhere.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Kowsauni
Sorry, I don't mean to be ignoring you guys. Adjusting to baby has just been taking up a lot of time and I also have some work stuff I'm going to be finishing up in the next couple of days up before I go on extended baby leave.

I hope you live in a country where extended paternity leave equals more than just a couple of weeks.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 pm
Kowsauni

I was trying to figure out which game I was more interested in playing.

For Monsterhearts have an existing character I could potentially play as a serpentine character. Rain's initial description made the game sound jovial and humorous. Then I went to the game webpage it displayed the system as being some sort of ansgty teen vampire drama which put me on the fence.

In Nominie sounds interesting but I'm not having any character ideas. I have one Angel-like character concept but its from a very different story setting and I don't think I could adapt it for this. I'm not rulling the game out, i'm just trying to figure out how i would go about playing.

I don't know what "sliders" is but the way you described being able to make a sentient doll does make Everway sound more interesting so If you want to elaborate more on what that game is about i would be interested.

Other then that Mutants and Masterminds is game system I have always been interested in playing. I think I even have some pdf of the game saved somewhere.

Nah, Monsterhearts is supposed to have a bit of darkness in it. In fact, one of your 4 attributes is "Dark". If you want to stay in the light, then it's probably not for you. It can be lighthearted and humorous at times, but in the end, the dark will always be there.

In Nomine, you are effectively trying to help people. How you go about helping them depends entirely on your Choir/Superior combination. A Cherubim of, say, Michael, will know if the person they are attuned to will die within the next 24 hours, whereas a Mercurian of Michael are diplomats and focus heavily on bringing peace between individuals or groups. On the flip side, a Cherubim of Eli is focused on protecting craftsmen and artisans, able to find them through the things they create. There's a lot of variation on what kind of angel you can be and what your primary duties are depending on choices you make, and I'm hesitant to broach the entirety of all your options until it's definite we're going down that road. Ultimately, I'd have you and any fellow players/angels to working out a Tether (a celestial 'fort' that either Heaven or Hell has a direct connection to on Earth) in a city, doing whatever deeds necessary to keep your city safe. Basically, angelic superheroes, kinda sorta.

As for Everway, you've never seen/heard of Sliders before? Mein gott! It's a Sci-Fi show about scientists who have made experimental technology to transport to alternate earths, but find out pretty quickly they don't have a way to get back to THEIR earth and have to keep jumping from one alternate universe to the next until they make their way back home. Everway doesn't have the same 'lost' feeling to it as Sliders, though I imagine it can be. You travel between different worlds magically to explore (think of it as a D&D Planeshifting campaign). It's also diceless, but I forget how the exact mechanics work.

Mutants & Masterminds, you apparently already know. It will probably be a generic superhero setting, but isn't that enough?

It's what YOU want to play (and who you want to invite). At your leisure, so there's no rush. I'm just letting you know what's on the table, if you wanted to take me up on my offer.

UPDATE: I just ordered a copy of Everway from Ebay. Delivery estimate is 3/8. I'll tell you more about character creation options when I get it in hand, so you can make your decision.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:23 pm
Mongooseh
Kowsauni

I hope you live in a country where extended paternity leave equals more than just a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately no. The military gave me ten days off which ends today. I'm going back to work tomorrow and Friday and potentially Monday to take care of some case work. After that I'm taking 20 days of personal leave.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:27 pm
Kowsauni
Unfortunately no. The military gave me ten days off which ends today. I'm going back to work tomorrow and Friday and potentially Monday to take care of some case work. After that I'm taking 20 days of personal leave.

That sucks.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 am
Rain Yupa
Ravanan

In Nomine and Nobilis can be run with 1 minimum but would be better with several. Monsterhearts needs a minimum of 2 though.

Since I don't necessarily have to pitch "good > evil", other games I have:
3:16 - Think starship troopers! You're all marines, and you go around exterminating xeno scum before they can threaten humanity. Pre-emptive strikes! Hoo-ah!

In Nomine sounds pretty fun, but the only thing I'm comfortable playing by myself is a solo pathfinder based around a much stronger hero o. o Simply because I've done it before. Nobilis, I'm assuming is the Demons version. I have a conscious that refuses to let me do bad stuff ' ~ '

I have no idea what Monsterhearts is

Ooh. Starship troopers got really good before it went all super christian.

OH GOD HASTUR NO.  

Ravanan

8,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:11 am
Rain, if you ever run NWOD in any form, count me in.

Superhero games are vool, so are super open ended ones.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:13 am
Kowsauni
Mongooseh
Kowsauni

Look on the bright side, you have shore duty. You could be in a deployable billot.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 pm
Ravanan
In Nomine sounds pretty fun, but the only thing I'm comfortable playing by myself is a solo pathfinder based around a much stronger hero o. o Simply because I've done it before. Nobilis, I'm assuming is the Demons version. I have a conscious that refuses to let me do bad stuff ' ~ '

I have no idea what Monsterhearts is

Ooh. Starship troopers got really good before it went all super christian.

3:16 is about killing aliens with guns, until it becomes not about killing aliens with guns. If you're not sure what I mean by that, then just worry about killing aliens with guns, grunt.

Nobilis is a completely different game/system. You are a god! Generally, some concept personified... the time I played, I was Side Quests, and my fellow player was Justice. I've known players to be Hats, Swords, Bridges, Logical Fallacies, and Violence. The world as we know it isn't what we think it is (for instance, the world really IS flat). There's a whole society of Nobilis doing their thing, while there's an underlying war going on with the Excrucians, enemies of reality who are attempting to Excruciate reality out of existence so they can remake it better. But that means everything has to be wiped out of existence first.

And I explained what Monsterhearts was earlier in this thread smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:53 pm
What sounds cool to me:
*Monsters and other Childish Things
World of Darkness Games
-- Vampire, giest, wraith, mummy, demon, second sight, Not werewolf or hunter.
Mutants and Masterminds
-- This has been on my want to try list for ages.
*Eclipse Phase - Transhuman space sci-fi.
*Anima
-- I have often asked myself the same question. It seems like a good system, and has beautiful artwork, but SO MUCH LORE and SO MUCH EXTRA STUFF!  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 am
Rain Yupa
UPDATE: I just ordered a copy of Everway from Ebay. Delivery estimate is 3/8. I'll tell you more about character creation options when I get it in hand, so you can make your decision.

Got it today (Monday) but I'm just getting home past midnight into Tuesday morning, so I'll poke Everway with a stick either Tuesday or Wednesday.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff