Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
A massive amount of help is needed Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 am
Okay so, I'm new to literally every single aspect of this. I wanted to play D&D with a friend but the guy who is going to be the DM is busy doing stuff so I figured why not find a second group to play with as well. My friend explained some stuff to me, mostly about classes and races and a bit about dice.

Soooo I joined here, hoping to find some friends to play with, but I have no idea what is what and where to go. sweatdrop I don't even know how you guys go about this. Does everyone just use skype and play that way, 'cause that is how my friend and his group are doing it? Please help I'd prefer that way over typing via forums all the time, but it's cool if not. (Oh! And I did look at the one topic that was titles something like "Newbie guide" but whatever was there is just a broken picture link)

I have no idea about character sheets other than there's apparently many different ones that are for specific D&D styles? Or something...I don't know ;w; I'm lost. Would anyone be willing to teach me the ways? emo Please  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:31 am
Well, yeah, some groups do the skype thing. Most of the ones that are on here are forum based, using the die roller option in the posting screen and typing stuff out. As for how the game itself works and making a character, well that all depends on what edition you wanted to play. As far as D&D goes, there are games on here from 3.5 4th, and 5th. It'd probably be best to do the same version as your friend's game so it's less confusing,  

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 am
I Love Bad Puns
Okay so, I'm new to literally every single aspect of this. I wanted to play D&D with a friend but the guy who is going to be the DM is busy doing stuff so I figured why not find a second group to play with as well. My friend explained some stuff to me, mostly about classes and races and a bit about dice.

Soooo I joined here, hoping to find some friends to play with, but I have no idea what is what and where to go. sweatdrop I don't even know how you guys go about this. Does everyone just use skype and play that way, 'cause that is how my friend and his group are doing it? Please help I'd prefer that way over typing via forums all the time, but it's cool if not. (Oh! And I did look at the one topic that was titles something like "Newbie guide" but whatever was there is just a broken picture link)

I have no idea about character sheets other than there's apparently many different ones that are for specific D&D styles? Or something...I don't know ;w; I'm lost. Would anyone be willing to teach me the ways? emo Please

AWWW GAWD DAMMIT AND I WORKED SO HARD ON THAT PICTURE!

Anyways skype games here are rare due to the international nature of the forum and busy lifestyles nearly no one can get something decently scheduled in.

If you're completely green the best thing for you to do is look for a DnD game or Pathfinder (extremely similar to DnD) and just tell the DM. They should be more than willing to help you.

But as said most of it's play by posts. Basic gist is to find a game and get that DM/GM to teach you how to play.

Fire anymore questions my way.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am
Ah scheduling games, always fun. Anyways, as for games in guild, just keep an eye out. People will occasionally make threads recruiting. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of online games are very slow (play by post even slower) and there is a chance that they stall out. You also meet some interesting people.

Anyways... if you have access to a computer during play (online games) the use of Mythweavers is not a bad idea for many games. Any other questions, just ask.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:07 pm
Ryssa Blackblood

Okay, I have no idea what edition we're going to be using. What's the difference between the versions, if ya don't mind my asking? And do the forum based games tell you which number to roll up to? I don't know what dice to roll for what. sweatdrop Many thanks for the info heart

Mongooseh

Yeah, the pic doesn't show up emo Okay, I'll try my hand at a game once I find someone! Thank ya!

Raganui Minamoto

Mkay, thank ya for letting me know~ I'll keep my eyes peeled for some games. I'll check out more of the site in the future probably for reference ^.^ Many thanks!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:59 pm
I Love Bad Puns
Ryssa Blackblood

Okay, I have no idea what edition we're going to be using. What's the difference between the versions, if ya don't mind my asking? And do the forum based games tell you which number to roll up to? I don't know what dice to roll for what. sweatdrop Many thanks for the info heart

Mongooseh

Yeah, the pic doesn't show up emo Okay, I'll try my hand at a game once I find someone! Thank ya!

Raganui Minamoto

Mkay, thank ya for letting me know~ I'll keep my eyes peeled for some games. I'll check out more of the site in the future probably for reference ^.^ Many thanks!

Well as it stands there's a 4th and 5th edition game being recruited that I know of...could use a player on either side. As for the differences, 3.5 and 5th are similar, but 4th is vastly different from either. they went a whole other direction, really. So, yeah...check with your friend and see what he was going to run, because it's a lot easier to learn one edition than two  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:23 pm
Ryssa Blackblood

Okay, I'll make sure to run it by him whenever he's not busy. Thanks again! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:25 pm
I Love Bad Puns
Ryssa Blackblood

Okay, I'll make sure to run it by him whenever he's not busy. Thanks again! heart
yup, and if you PM me when you find out, I can walk you through making a character.  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Basically, 4th edition decided to go full MMO or Minis game. You almost needed a gridded map for combat, you punched through mook mobs swiftly, and certain mechanics were in the game, but never used. Like standard attacks. Why make a normal attack for 'weapon damage+X) when every class gave a small stash of At-Will Abilities that were outright better? Then there were Encounter Abilities (could use once per encounter) and Daily (Once a day).

And other things later were also skewed. Like, why choose anything but Demi-god for some later level thing that they did?

Sorry, a little biased cause I still prefer ADnD 2e.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:31 am
Raganui Minamoto
Basically, 4th edition decided to go full MMO or Minis game. You almost needed a gridded map for combat, you punched through mook mobs swiftly, and certain mechanics were in the game, but never used. Like standard attacks. Why make a normal attack for 'weapon damage+X) when every class gave a small stash of At-Will Abilities that were outright better? Then there were Encounter Abilities (could use once per encounter) and Daily (Once a day).

And other things later were also skewed. Like, why choose anything but Demi-god for some later level thing that they did?

Sorry, a little biased cause I still prefer ADnD 2e.

Ooooooh. I don't think I'd enjoy 4 as much. What's ADnD 2e? (I've started a character in 3.5e but I'm just curious)  

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:06 pm
Personally, I enjoy 4th more than 3rd or Pathfinder (I haven't gotten a chance to mess around in 5th yet). It does have its shortcomings, as does any system. Also, I've used a battlemap in LOTS of 3rd ed games I've played in, so "using a battlemap" as a reason to dislike 4th ed always irks me.

Ultimately, the reasons I like 4th edition best is twofold:
1.) It makes the characters, not their equipment, as the source of most of the heroics.*
2.) It emphasizes teamwork better than 3rd; a "group" is definitely stronger in 4th than a "gathering of individuals", if that makes sense. Once they start working together and covering for one another, it's a beautiful sight.

That said, 4th edition doesn't allow quite as much "high fantasy" as other editions, at least concerning magic. High level spellcasters were capable of great and wondrous things, and upper tier artifacts were truly legendary. 4th edition lacks that. Also, 4th edition doesn't support the skills mechanic nearly as much as any other edition (which are used in noncombat situations) and that makes me sad. Finally, 4th edition does allow for some out-of-the-box thinking, it's not nearly as "potentially limitless options" as 3rd edition had.

I just like the 4th edition teamwork mechanics, mostly. Though I rarely get to play them, I adore Warlord to death.

*That's also why I love the Midnight setting of 3rd edition: There was pretty much zero magic spell/magic item support. You had to get by on your wits alone!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:32 pm
I want to try that Midnight setting. Makes me remember Darksun.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:34 pm
I like 5e a lot, once I got past the whole level 3 is to 5e what level 1 is everywhere else I fell in love.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm
PupSage
I like 5e a lot, once I got past the whole level 3 is to 5e what level 1 is everywhere else I fell in love.

Wha? o_o

Since I haven't had the pleasure yet, what do you mean? The first three levels of 5e are "easy-to-drop-like-flies" levels, with minimal spells and unimpressive combat? o_o  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:14 am
Rain Yupa
PupSage

Wha? o_o

Since I haven't had the pleasure yet, what do you mean? The first three levels of 5e are "easy-to-drop-like-flies" levels, with minimal spells and unimpressive combat? o_o
Not in my experience.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces