Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ryuutama - The 'Oregon Trail' of RPGs! Filled up! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:40 pm
Rain Yupa
PupSage, I'm not comfortable with you playing in a Ryuutama game that I run, not after Unity. I don't think your playstyle would be a good fit for it. Sorry :/

Because I dropped out after you put me into an impossible fight? Even if you didn't intend to kill me its not a great intro to a game that I wasn't familiar with.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:16 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
When you say 'magic, but it's often utilitarian in use' does this mean it can only be used in small tasks...washing dishes, laying the beat down on rugs, and starting a flame? I understand, it can't be used in combat; Just trying to understand it's limits.

For those curious, I am thinking of a

Minstrel, Magic-type or Attack-type, Journal keeper/Quartermaster

too early to lock down a choice... just thinking

There's actually 2 kinds of magic, and magic-types get them both. One is Incantation spells. You learn 2 spells per level and keep them in a spellbook, like a D&D Wizard (but you can cast ANY from your book, so it's more like a Sorcerer's spell list in that regard). If you lose your book, you lose your spells. The other is Seasonal spells, which you choose from the list of all available spells of your chosen season, like a D&D Cleric.

For Incantation spells, there's two types per level: Normal spells (which usually take a round to cast) and Ritual spells (which take an hour to cast). Ignoring the latter, here's the Low-level Incantation Normal Spells, summarized:
Pure Crystalight - Creates a crystal of light on a tool which can be turned on and off.
Alert Bell Alarm - Sounds an alarm when a monster comes within a certain radius of a fixed position.
Arrow Compass - Creates a magic compass to appear.
Enhanced Red Hand - Gives a weapon +1 on accuracy checks.
Cure Touch - Cures some hit points.
Shooting Star - Deals damage to one target.

So there IS combat spells (one per level of Incantation magic, which are Low, Mid, and High levels). But there's other things too.

For Seasonal, each season has 4 Low, Mid, and High level spells, which are a combination of Normal and Ritual spells. I won't list them all, but here's the three Normal Spring Low-Level spells (the 4th is a Ritual):
Wake Up and Stand Up - Anyone sleeping in the area immediately stands and wakes.
Emina Nonno - Fill an area with flowers!
Cure Plus Plus - Is cast at the same time as, and bolsters, the 'Cure Touch' incantation spell.

Hopefully that gives you a glimpse on why I describe magic here as 'mostly utilitarian' sweatdrop  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:21 pm
@ PupSage: If that's how you choose to think of it, then yes. It's mostly though, your willingness to simply disappear because you aren't having fun. I don't want you to be in a position where everyone's relying on you for an important role (say, the party's navigator, or keeping track of everyone's supplies), and leave because there's a tough encounter you don't like. That would ruin a Ryuutama campaign. I'm unwilling to risk that.

It isn't a matter of being unwilling to GM for you; I think you're very suited for a 3:16 campaign and frankly, I love 3:16 (but I'm a fan of Aliens, Starship Troopers, and Warhammer 40k). I just don't think you're a good fit for Ryuutama specifically.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm
Oh heavens, I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced on kickstarter~ =D

If there's still room for 1 more, I am absolutely interested.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:21 pm
Hmm, definitely leaning to a magic using noble.

I was curious, what are the attack and technical skill like as well, if you don't mind explaining a bit more.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:18 pm
Kowsauni
Hmm, definitely leaning to a magic using noble.

I was curious, what are the attack and technical skill like as well, if you don't mind explaining a bit more.

Attack Type: Max HP+4, +1 damage rolls during combat, 1 additional Mastered Weapon.

Technical Type: Gain an extra +1 bonus to any check when using Concentration for a total bonus of +2, +1 bonus to Initiative checks in combat, carrying capacity increased by +3

Magic Type: Max MP+4, Acquire 2 Incantation spells per level, Acquire Seasonal magic.

Concentration can be done whenever attempting a skill check. They can't be used for Condition Checks, Initiative Checks, or Damage checks. You must either spend half your Mental Points, or spend a Fumble Point for +1 to the skill check you're concentrating on. If you spend half your MP and a Fumble Point, increase the skill check by +2. So a Technical Type can get a max of +3.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:53 pm
Rain Yupa
@ PupSage: If that's how you choose to think of it, then yes. It's mostly though, your willingness to simply disappear because you aren't having fun. I don't want you to be in a position where everyone's relying on you for an important role (say, the party's navigator, or keeping track of everyone's supplies), and leave because there's a tough encounter you don't like. That would ruin a Ryuutama campaign. I'm unwilling to risk that.

It isn't a matter of being unwilling to GM for you; I think you're very suited for a 3:16 campaign and frankly, I love 3:16 (but I'm a fan of Aliens, Starship Troopers, and Warhammer 40k). I just don't think you're a good fit for Ryuutama specifically.

Because I totally bailed on 1000 knives when stuff got tough.

Whatever dude.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am
*reads entire post and gets to Shooting Star* You can be a hunter-magic type? SWEET!!! xp  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:46 pm
I think it's my turn to be the artisan.

*Gets vibes of his old Hextorian cleric-crafter and cackles madly*  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:59 pm
butbutbut...I wanted to bring back my old Rorouni Kenshin style blacksmith...  

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:15 pm
What's stopping you?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:17 pm
Nothing really, but do we really.wnat to have multiple artisan in the party?  

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:32 pm
You can have different kinds of artisans. If one of you is a brawny attack type blacksmith and the other a magic-wielding carpenter, they are going to have very different feels from each other. There aren't a huge amount of options in this game, but from what I've read, there is enough variance for characters to feel unique.

If there is one thing I feel needs to be stressed it's that this is a game about being friendly with each other and working together as a team to get through tough traveling conditions and making nice with villages so they will trade you stuff.

I noticed a lot of people in this guild have a propensity for making moody, aloof, lone wolf type characters that don't necessarily play nice with others. This tends to lead to parties feeling like a collection of individuals rather than an actual team. While I don't mean to limit people's role playing ideas, this is not the type of game for those kind of characters. Being nice, friendly, approachable and openly caring about fellow team members goes a long way towards creating the atmosphere this game is trying to establish.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:07 pm
So what do we have so far?

A magic or attack Minstrel, a magic Noble, an attack Artisan, and a magic Artisan. Hm... with at least 3 magic-y peeps, I think I'd probably be best suited to a technical Merchant instead of Healer, since lots of you can take the healing spell.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:21 pm
I do like the idea of being a weapons/toolcrafty type, but I really don't know much to get a feel of the game just yet.

Some thoughts I do like are:

Rancher
Shipwright
Lumberjack
Farmer

....darnit Lilly ><
*decides not to escape it*  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash