Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ryuutama - The 'Oregon Trail' of RPGs! Filled up! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 pm
in the beginning of the world there were four types of dragons
from the four dragons were born the seasons
from the seasons were born the seven dragons of weather
from the weather were born the thirteen dragons of earth
the wind blowing out of the grasslands, the soft sunlight,
pairs of beasts, lively castle towns
all is given life by the long breath of the dragons
from the 24 dragons, innumerable more are born into the world
they wait for the time to awaken
the time has not yet come
the world is a Dragon’s Egg
with the Travelers and Ryuujin warming it
what sort of dragon will hatch into this world...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:00 pm
Ryuutama is a Tabletop RPG that was popular in Japan, and recently was translated into English via Kickstarter. It's a game where the players play characters who go on a Journey, one every person is expected to take in their lifetime. The reasons for your particular Journey will of course be up to you, but likeminded folks Journeying at the same time, band together to support one another and form a group that's stronger than the sum of its parts.

The world itself is loosely described, and the system encourages the players to work with the GM to flesh out the details. But there ARE a few constants:

There are no sprawling empires, no great castles... no, everything is a loose network of villages, towns, and cities, with no major ruling power. Everything is communal, and many people residing in the land support one another as much as possible - a byproduct of the traditional Journey. Since so many people depend on the kindness of others during theirs, they in turn offer kindness back, and everyone gets along.

The world was made by the four Seasonal Dragons, whom in turn created more dragons of earth and sky to assist them. For the continued balance of the land, the Seasonal Dragons are nourished by stories - or rather, stories of Journeys. These stories are gathered by Ryuujin, guardian spirits who do what they can behind the scenes to support humans on their Journeys, while recording their exploits.

The world itself does have magic, but it's often utilitarian in use. The classes given aren't what you'd see in normal fantasy: Minstrel, Merchant, Hunter, Healer, Farmer, Artisan, and Noble. There is only the human race that resides on the planet, but there are still monsters.

The GM actually controls a character too, though this is actually the Ryuujin that observe you - and sometimes lend a helping hand, as long as they keep it on the down-low.

As a party, in addition to any other character creation rules, there are four 'jobs' that have to be filled, which can be done by any player/character. One can handle more than one of these four jobs, but ideally, 4 is the optimal party size... but I think the game would support anywhere from 2 to 6 players well.

More can be read up on it here.

Is there enough interested parties in such a game that running this is worthwhile? Note: Most of the game is wilderness survival, odd-jobs, minor quests, occasional combat, making friends, and most importantly of all, exploration.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:49 pm
well, it certainly looks interesting. However, giving it a cursory overlook, it seems like doing a game of this sort would be rather lengthy in practice as any set of rolls would require multiple posts to complete. It could be done, however, and I would be very interested in trying out a campaign.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:15 pm
I'm curious myself.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 pm
Plainsfox
I'm curious myself.

The system generally requires you to roll 2 dice and add them together for a total. Each stat will generally be an even # from 4-12 (for d4, d6, d8, d10, d12).

Critical successes are rolling maximum value on each die OR rolling two 6's. Fumbles are rolling two 1's.

But when someone Fumbles, the entire party gets a Fumble point, which can be used to boost a particular roll later.

So if you're worried about cursed rolls... the worse you do, the more everyone benefits from it! biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:51 pm
I've only read the introduction and I'm so totally in! This is exactly my kind of game! Let the journey begin!

Can you tell me about the classes and the four main jobs?

I sort of have an idea for a noble princess kind of character but I want to know more.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:24 am
Kowsauni
I've only read the introduction and I'm so totally in! This is exactly my kind of game! Let the journey begin!

Can you tell me about the classes and the four main jobs?

I sort of have an idea for a noble princess kind of character but I want to know more.

I won't go into the exact specifics of character creation yet, but here's the nitty gritty of what's involved:

• Choose your Class (the seven listed above);
  • Choose your Type (Attack Type, Technical Type, Magic Type). Basically, do you want to have a combat emphasis, a skills emphasis, or be able to cast spells;
  • Choose your ability scores. Your stats are Strength (STR), Dexterity (DEX), Intelligence (INT), and Spirit (SPI). You'll have either a 4, a 6, or an 8 in each of them (all four stats will equal 24);
  • Calculate your Hit Points (HP), Mental Points (MP), and Carrying Capacity, based on those stats;
  • Choose a mastered weapon. Though combat shouldn't be a first priority, a traveler on a Journey is expected to be able to defend him/herself!
  • Determine your Personal Item, something meaningful and flavorful for your character. It recommends against choosing a weapon or piece of travel gear;
  • Go shopping!
  • Fill out the details of your character like description, background, etc. This includes Image Color, aka "a character's image color can be their favorite color or merely a color that they always seem to be wearing" which I think is cool.

The 7 classes vary in terms of three skills/abilities they give you. There's a little overlap, but not much. Each is thematic for the character, like a Minstrel playing music to bolster allies, the Merchant having some mercantile skills, the Hunter being able to track and hunt, etc etc. Again, to save time (in case everyone turns their nose up at it so I don't waste my time), I won't type them all out yet but I can run down what the Noble does for you, at least.

Nobles gain Etiquette, which 'leaves a positive impression on someone of high rank or status'. It's a contested roll, where you and the target roll DEX+INT. They have Refined Education, which lets you 'know detailed information about the things you see or hear'. It's effectively 3.5's "bardic lore". You roll INT+INT, with a TN set by the GM. You get Weapon Grace, which lets you have a second mastered weapon (Bow type, Blade type, or Polearm type). If you chose any of those as your token mastered weapon, you instead gain a +1 bonus to Accuracy with it.

The five weapon types (and stats used in combat) are Light Blades (DEX+INT), Blades (DEX+STR), Polearms (DEX+STR), Axes (STR+STR), and Bows (INT+DEX). There's also an Unarmed (DEX+STR) class, but you don't get a weapon with it. So pairing with Weapon Grace, you can either have two mastered weapons, or one mastered weapon at a +1 bonus. If you were Attack Type, you'd have three mastered weapons!

Finally, the jobs I mentioned are technically called 'Roles', so I misremembered the word. They are more for the players than the characters themselves, kind of. Well, anyways:
The Leader role is the player/character that generally will have the last word on decisions concerning the party, and they keep track of initiative and turn order during battle.
The Mapper role is the player/character who is responsible for the Direction Check part of the traveling phase, and make the actual physical map of their travels. (It recommends a character with a good Int).
The Quartermaster role is the one who keeps track of the party's food and water, and takes responsibility for buying the necessary supplies for the trip. They keep track of the group's Ration sheet. (It recommends a character who owns a pack animal)
The Journal Keeper role is the one who keeps a detailed diary of events that happen in the game, writing it through the eyes of their character. This role can be passed around if desired.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:43 am
If you will hold my hand through character creation, I am game.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:26 am
I can flex to fit in where I am needed on this one.

I like:
Artisan with some healing
Artisan packmule
Farmer/hunter packmule
Healer of super healing  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 am
*nod* I was thinking that I would like to play an artisan (blacksmith)...but I have some other ideas as well if pup really wants to go the artisan route  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:09 am
Ryssa Blackblood
*nod* I was thinking that I would like to play an artisan (blacksmith)...but I have some other ideas as well if pup really wants to go the artisan route

Don't worry about me. I like every class. So go artisan if you want.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:11 am
PupSage
Ryssa Blackblood

Don't worry about me. I like every class. So go artisan if you want.
awesome.  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:30 am
Too much to read now... sweatdrop

Posting, to remind me to read later.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 pm
PupSage, I'm not comfortable with you playing in a Ryuutama game that I run, not after Unity. I don't think your playstyle would be a good fit for it. Sorry :/  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:19 pm
When you say 'magic, but it's often utilitarian in use' does this mean it can only be used in small tasks...washing dishes, laying the beat down on rugs, and starting a flame? I understand, it can't be used in combat; Just trying to understand it's limits.

For those curious, I am thinking of a

Minstrel, Magic-type or Attack-type, Journal keeper/Quartermaster

too early to lock down a choice... just thinking  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out