Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Fate Core? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:01 am
I wondered if anyone would be interested in playing a game?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 am
Skull Dres
I wondered if anyone would be interested in playing a game?

Might be worthwhile describing what kind of game you'd like to run. Checked what fate core is and apparently super flexible run anything game...

So yeah lay out what you have in mind because running "anything" can be running "everything" a player doesn't like. If you see what I mean.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:11 am
Yes, more information would be helpful. Like an overview of the system and what kind of game you are planning on running with it.

Also is this system mostly available online or does it require the purchase of a book to play it?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:46 pm
At first it was going to be using the Dresden Files RPG But, lacking the will to write out everything, explaining the differences, or telling everyone to just go out and buy a copy; I made the choice to use Fate Core instead(Changes are lite, similar to the changes of 3rd edition of dnd to 3.5).

http://fate-srd.com/ (Pick Fate Core for a basic SRD, I haven't read up on Fate Accelerated, yet... sweatdrop )

I will quote Blue Moon's write up on the system. Then I will give my own explanation

Quote:
Basically everything is determined using 4d6 with modifiers.

1-2 = -1 success
3-4 = 0 success
5-6 = 1 success

You roll your dice, then add you modifiers based on skills. These CAN range from +0 to +8, but a +8 literally means that you are packing some massive supernatural mojo to back you up. Without magic the best you could get to is a +4.

Then you have aspects that can be compelled for both good and bad things, such as "Raised in a hive of scum and villainy." With that I could justify my character being tough as nails in an intimidation scene or a brawl and spend a fate point to get either a +2 to a roll or to reroll any number of my dice.
Likeswise the DM can use it against me and compel my aspect during the fancy party that we are infiltrating to have me make an a** of myself. If I go with it, I get another fate point, but if I don't, I have to spend a fate point.

Also, if you critically succeed by 4 or more you can impose an aspect for one turn to do a +2 or -2 to anyone.

The system more narrated, in that rolls are used for success or fail of an intented use of a skill in a (Hacking a rival's phone, Disabling a star ship's defense grid, communicating peace with an demon cat_burning_eyes ) of a scene(or part of a scene, as with combat or similar challenges). In contrast to DnD, where rolls are used to determine an action(climbing a rope). No matter the used, rolls are broken down into four possible outcomes... Overcome, Create an Advantage, Attack, and Defend. Attack and Defend are self explaining. Create an advantage you are trying to discover an existing Aspect or create one(Temporarily Blinding, Coughing Blood, Hacked Computer, etc...). Overcome is a skill check that doesn't fall under the others(running a race, finding a message left for you in a library, dancing by yourself, etc...).

Aspects are phrases that portray a precise meaning, and can be used to color a part of the character/place/scene. Sometimes they are hidden, like in the character's past, others they are plain as day...A wedding ring screams they are married/or used to be married, to someone. Other examples are; "My life for the King", "Beauty Pageant Winner", "Stormy Day", "Pitch black room".

All good aspects are double edged swords, they can be used against and for your character. "My life for the King", for example, can be used to explain a strengthened resolve after learning the King is endanger or will be(changing a part of the scene to your advantage or granting a +2 to a roll)... or a loss of moral if the King is captured on your watch(bad stuff for you or -2). Or "Beauty Pageant Winner" can be used to explain why you still have your weapons after being searched. And why you become the center of attention at your best friend's wedding.

For good or ill, aspects can't be used without Fate points. They are traded as one does currency; one point for one invoke(good) or compelled(bad) aspect.

That is the system in a nutshell, from my understanding. The rust I can cover over character creation.

I will post my campaign idea tomorrow, game night...  

Skull Dres

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 pm
I would be game for a dresden campaign.

Really all you would need to do is set the difficulty level and tell us what subraces are available at that level. If you are doing it proper to FATE, the players also get input on the world creation.

Basically people would create their 1.) aspects, 2.)pick a subrace, 3.)pick their skills, and 4.) pick their stunts.

You chime in at steps 3 and 4, tell people what they get for being X type of subrace, then tell them which skills will affect their powers. Then they pick skills, based on who has fate points left for creation and what skills they picked, then you post the stunts that they can choose.

Saves you typing, makes it noobie friendly.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:05 pm
I'd be game. Some of this sounds cool and new.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:39 pm
Pup: the same is done in the Dresden rpg; places, reoccurring npc's, and the like are also open for player input and creation. And was an avenue I was going to take, for those who wished to be helpful... razz

Rest: Those that didn't know about the Dresden Files(ether the books by Jim Butcher or the Sci-Fi TV program). Like in Supernatural; In the eyes of mass human population the world is similar to this one. Cars, Internet, coffee... but, under that is a layers that science, The white council, organized religions and various others have tried to keep hidden(or explain that it. just. isn't. there). A world of Vampires, Trolls, Demons, Angels, Werewolves, Lycanthropes(yes, they are different), Fairies, and magic... The series follow a Private Investigator, and Chicago's only listed Wizard(for all the laughs it is worth), named Harry Dresden.

We are going a little different route, You are kids... Well, high school students. You know enough to know you aren't human, or your friends aren't.

Myth-weavers has a Fate sheet, that we can use(with a minor modifications.) For those, who don't want to use Myth-weaver's or don't have it, I will also accept typed out ones. Ether way, I will go step by step though the 3 step process.

Quote:

Name: (self-explained, if you don't enter anything here I will call you Jessie Bedwetter)

High Concept: (Aspect: What are you? Examples; "Saiyan Prince", "Special Investigations Lieutenant" Many cases, this is partially tied with your Sub-race, ie.. "Lycanthrope Biker")

Trouble: (Aspect: What is your primary driver that keeps you waist deep in troubles? Examples: "Can't say, 'No' to a pretty face", "In Debt to Johnny Marcone", "I will be better than Kakarot!" )

Other Aspects (5 extra aspects
These are tied to phases of your personal story.
First: your backstory, family and childhood life.
Second: a conflict/event that arose and formed you into who you are now
Third: Your first adventure

Four is tied to another's player's character's story. A time your characters came together and solved an issue, what did you learn about yourself in this time?

And Number five is time to a second player's story...)

Sub-Races; I will approve for this game.. Because, it is my first.

Quote:
Pure-Mortal (I am Batman... or Tony Stark... Or that guy that picks up your trash...No supernatural powers, but can still kickass)

Lycanthrope (Body of a human with a shared mind of a beast, Think Wolverine without claws or Sabortooth)

Red Court Infected (A new blood Red Court Vampire(Will go over the difference later) who is fighting to keep her humanity, versus the need for her first kill.)

a True Believer (Those who can move mountains with their faith... or at least keep demons at bay. The religion doesn't have to be Christianity, many are though. )

Were-Form (Shapeshifter, who can take the form of a single animal and revert back. Lead and steel works, and is cheaper than silver, to kill.),

[Aware] White Court Virgin (A White court Vampire who hasn't killed her first victim).

I left most spell-slinging subs out, as they require lots of reading(lots of typing).

Red Court Vampires are your common vamps, similar to those stories of Dracula, Blade, Angel, Buffy...(without face-shifting abilities) If an infected drinks of her first kill, she is now a monster, void of free will(FATE Points) acting on impulse, habit, and instinct. In other words, NPC possible villain.

White Court Vampires are born and feed on powerful emotions... a single emotion chosen at creation such as Wrath, Anger, Hope, Lust, Courage, Pain, etc... Most white court virgins families keep her in the dark of their condition, until it is too late. Easier for her to 'accidentally' kill her first.

Ask, and I will dive deeper on the individual sub-races or things that suffer from miscommunication.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:16 pm
For those of us familiar with dresden, can we be some of the others?

Champion of God?
Minor Talent?
Changling?
Court Representative?
And of course Wizard.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:25 pm
Also, as a not both red court infected and white court virgins get to use Fate Points until they become full blown vamps after killing somebody.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:03 pm
Would a transhumanist pure mortal work for this game?

As in a guy who believes, without using the occult, that humans must become "more human than human" via technology. I.E. Bionics, cyborgs stuff like that.

And pushing the envelope of being nearly fully bionic as well.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:38 pm
In order,

Pup: No to White Court Vampire Sub. Wizard would be weakened, maybe an apprentice-like(They are a level above the power level I wanted.) The others subs, I have no issues with. What is a Court Representative?Another name for Emisary of Power?

I picked the wrong example for mortal...

Mon:
In Fate, it can be done, but in doing so I am going to remove a +2 bonus refresh(Refers to how much Fate points one gets after a rest...go over later) pure mortals get.

If still interested, read up on Cyberware in the toolbox.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:40 pm
Skull Dres

Mon:
In Fate, it can be done, but in doing so I am going to remove a +2 bonus refresh(Refers to how much Fate points one gets after a rest...go over later) pure mortals get.

Sounds fine by me. Will read up on it.

Edit: Found a nice website.

http://fate-srd.com/

Edit:Edit: By the looks of this I will need some arbitration on how aug'ed the dude can be as it could end up with the dude having too many bonuses "freely".  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:25 pm
Mongooseh
Skull Dres

Mon:

Sounds fine by me. Will read up on it.

Edit: Found a nice website.

http://fate-srd.com/

Edit:Edit: By the looks of this I will need some arbitration on how aug'ed the dude can be as it could end up with the dude having too many bonuses "freely".
This would be the power level(sets skill points and refresh rate for all players), refresh is 7 and skills points are 25. Will go over their meanings tomorrow. Just know you can't go under 1 refresh, or you'll lose all traces of your humanity.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:52 pm
Skull Dres
In order,

Pup: No to White Court Vampire Sub. Wizard would be weakened, maybe an apprentice-like(They are a level above the power level I wanted.) The others subs, I have no issues with. What is a Court Representative?Another name for Emisary of Power?

Mon:

I will TOTALLY be a Champion of God High Schooler. That sounds like to much fun.

8 refresh, can't do it, back to the drawing board  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:18 pm
PupSage
Skull Dres
In order,

Mon:

I will TOTALLY be a Champion of God High Schooler. That sounds like to much fun.

8 refresh, can't do it, back to the drawing board
The sword is an option... Min. is -5  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas