Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Riku Mitarashi

Shirtless Husband

5,625 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:38 pm
Hi, umm, I'm new, & trying to get into pathfinder. I need someone to be my sempai, explain stuff, look over my first few character sheets to make sure I'm doing it right. Pm if interested.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:16 pm
Riku Mitarashi
Hi, umm, I'm new, & trying to get into pathfinder. I need someone to be my sempai, explain stuff, look over my first few character sheets to make sure I'm doing it right. Pm if interested.

Something that may help, is if you mention what prior experience (in games in general) you have! biggrin  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Riku Mitarashi

Shirtless Husband

5,625 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:35 pm
Rain Yupa

This is gonna sound bad, but I've never BEEN in a game. My friends just recently wanted to get me into pathfinder.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:38 am
Riku Mitarashi
This is gonna sound bad, but I've never BEEN in a game. My friends just recently wanted to get me into pathfinder.

Sorry that I haven't responded; I've been a bit ill this week.

But, Pathfinder really isn't my forte, I've never really played (I'm only now giving it my first solid go in Origins, but I'm a beginner at that system).

If you have a character sheet you want people to look over and give you advice, I can tag some Pathfindery peeps for you?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:41 am
Riku Mitarashi
Rain Yupa

Not to be a stick in the mud but is there any reason why your friends, who are trying to get you into pathfinder, can't check your sheet?

I mean I'm sure there are willing people to help here but it does make me wonder wouldn't it be easier.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:02 pm
I'll be honest with you. For most games you're going to find people who fall into one of two categories:

Power Gamers

Roleplayers

This is not to say that there isn't crossover, just you normally main towards one or the other. It mainly comes down to how they look at the question:

What do you wanna do?

A Power Gamer is more crunch oriented and about making the most effective character for the playstyle they want. This can lead to really weird builds or looking into the 3rd party stuff (which is naturally stronger due to just normal 'look at how much better my thing is' creep). The good ones will at least try to keep to whatever fluff you're wanting as well, though may bend it to help the crunch.

A Roleplayer is more interested in the fluff of the character. Their characters will normally make class choices based on the character's background and ideology and then figure out how best to build while sticking with the fluff presented. They normally are not as powerful and may make choices that aren't fully towards 'the best', because the character would know this.

You're in the fun position of never having played a game. This means you are on the fence between the two. However as you look over things and think on your character, you will slide into one of the two.

This does not mean that Roleplayers won't still know how to make good characters (and some may even know HOW to power game, they just don't normally). This does not mean that Power Gamers can't make good fluff or won't sometimes do something for the sake of fluff.

I'm not even going to say one is better than the other, though I will say that co-mingling between the groups is... sometimes difficult.

Anyways, rambled a bit. You can definitely find someone who can help you here. Just go 'hey, I'm looking to make x character' and then put down whether you'd like to focus on what he can do or who he is.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces