Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D 4e - Orb of Kendar - All Recruited Up, Thx! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:24 am
In my Orb of Kendar game, originally made to show 2 new players to D&D what it was like, those very 2 players have become frustratingly absent. There are 2 other experienced players still active, but missing half the party hurts things a lot.

So, rather than deal with unreliability, I've decided to simply replace them, if people are interested. The game is intended as a one-shot, with the option to lead into a "Living" setting with more games.

There are two slots I need filled, with a potential for a third, and we might be able to make do with just one more player if that's all we can pull. Currently, we have an Eladrin Warlord and Tiefling Wizard still active. 1st level characters. PHB1-2, plus select things from PHB3 (Monk, Seeker, Runepriest).

Rolled stats; if you suck too much (i.e., below what you would normally get with a standard point-buy), reroll. I may boost your stats further with DM magic, but don't rely on it.

First come, first serve, with completed character sheets getting priority.

A recap of events so far:
Quote:
The adventurers arrive in the town of Clearwell, a major trade/transport hub location that hasn't seen a monster attack in nearly a century, since the town was first established. They are so confident of their safety, they don't even have any walls! Yay hubris!

The night after the adventurers arrive, for their assorted and personal reasons, monsters attack and wreck stuff. The heroes fend off some monsters and then help evacuate people off the streets. The monsters go away at daybreak.

Via plot dump from the mayor, when Clearwell was first settled, they did have a monster problem. A wizard named Kendar made an orb that repelled monsters. Everything was awesome! But now the orb has gone missing and monsters didn't waste any time doing monstery things. The heroes have been deputized to investigate and recover the orb.

But there's an unspoken timer: when night once again falls, the monster attacks will likely resume, if the orb is not returned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:29 am
Ryssa Blackblood

I would be honored if you would consider applying, Ms. Blackblood.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:40 pm
Rain Yupa
Ryssa Blackblood

I would be honored if you would consider applying, Ms. Blackblood.

Level 1 huh? *cracks knuckles* it's been a while, but let's see what I can pull off...

I see your class restrictions there, but what about for feats and equipment and such...is that restricted to just the PHB series stuff too?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm
Ryssa Blackblood
Level 1 huh? *cracks knuckles* it's been a while, but let's see what I can pull off...

I see your class restrictions there, but what about for feats and equipment and such...is that restricted to just the PHB series stuff too?

For races/classes, the restrictions I put in place are there. For feats and class features, you have all the Power books as well. Ultimately, what it boils down to is that 1.) I don't like Psionics in my games though monks are an exception because they are just punchy; 2.) I think the PHB3 races are silly, but I'm completely willing to listen to a good character concept if you got one; 3.) No friggin' hybrids!; and 4.) I generally avoid feats that "replace" earlier feats, like the PHB3 one that replaces Weapon AND Implement expertise.

Other than that, you can pretty much go nuts. I also don't really do the Essentials variants, I prefer the feel of the original 4e variations of things.

I originally limited the newbie PCs to the PHB only, for the sake of ease of explanation and to avoid option overload. But you know what you're doing (or at least do a good job faking it!) and you have more options to work with.

When in doubt, just look at my 'houserules' post in pretty much any 4e game I run, I say what's allowed and what's not.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 pm
Rain Yupa
Ryssa Blackblood

For races/classes, the restrictions I put in place are there. For feats and class features, you have all the Power books as well. Ultimately, what it boils down to is that 1.) I don't like Psionics in my games though monks are an exception because they are just punchy; 2.) I think the PHB3 races are silly, but I'm completely willing to listen to a good character concept if you got one; 3.) No friggin' hybrids!; and 4.) I generally avoid feats that "replace" earlier feats, like the PHB3 one that replaces Weapon AND Implement expertise.

Other than that, you can pretty much go nuts. I also don't really do the Essentials variants, I prefer the feel of the original 4e variations of things.

I originally limited the newbie PCs to the PHB only, for the sake of ease of explanation and to avoid option overload. But you know what you're doing (or at least do a good job faking it!) and you have more options to work with.

When in doubt, just look at my 'houserules' post in pretty much any 4e game I run, I say what's allowed and what's not.

Yeah, I'd say I know 4e like the back of my hand, and I do have all the books and the older offline character builder.

And it looks like no dragon magazine stuff or Themes are in play here. That won't be a problem.  
Ryssa Blackblood rolled 12 6-sided dice: 6, 5, 6, 5, 6, 6, 3, 3, 5, 4, 6, 4 Total: 59 (12-72)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:25 pm
Okay, going to go with a Goliath Warden

Stat rolls 1:
6+5+6+5=17
6+6+3+3=15
5+4+6+4=15  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
Ryssa Blackblood rolled 12 6-sided dice: 6, 3, 3, 3, 1, 5, 2, 4, 2, 5, 4, 1 Total: 39 (12-72)

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Stat Rolls 2:
6+3+3+3=12
1+5+2+4=11
2+4+5+1=11

Hmm...someone's playing games on me with those last two....I think the die got picked up and put back down without rolling XD  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:32 pm
I think it's safe to say, those stats need no modification whatsoever. 3nodding  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:04 pm
Well, other than racial bonuses, of course...

And I'm assuming that there are no magic items at character gen?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:37 pm
Nope! Standard 1st level character starting stuff (which is to say, 100gp).

And my modification, I meant DM modification. Like, if your stats were 17 15 15 12 11 3, then odds are I'd give that 3 a boost ^-^'  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:51 pm
Yup, that's what I thought, and I know...just being a butt...

Just wanted to double check...there are no Themes in use, correct? As it would change my character's appearance a bit.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 pm
Ryssa Blackblood
Yup, that's what I thought, and I know...just being a butt...

Just wanted to double check...there are no Themes in use, correct? As it would change my character's appearance a bit.

That's a negatory!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:30 pm
You could still go with the theme, for thematic story purposes just no game mechanic benefits.  
Paidi tou Selini rolled 24 6-sided dice: 2, 6, 2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 1, 5, 5, 1, 6, 6, 1, 6, 5, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4 Total: 88 (24-144)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 am
After talking with Rain, yes I will totally bite~

2, 6, 2, 4 = 12
3, 4, 3, 1 = 10
5, 5, 1, 6 = 16
6, 1, 6, 5 = 17
3, 4, 5, 2 = 12
3, 3, 4, 4 = 11

I'd say that turned out pretty well.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee