Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[5e] Princes of the Apocalypse [Full] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where would you like this game to be hosted?
  In Thread
  Roll 20
View Results

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:36 pm
Elemental Evil

Princes of the Apocalypse Campaign

Read to see introductions

Foreward

Hello, first off, I would like to take this time to inform you that I have never been a DM before, but have been wanting to for some time. I like following guides, and doing things by the books (mostly with a few exceptions). And that is why I bought a campaign book. It's a nice, new, shiny, hard copy of a great campaign setting. I have played several dnd games before, mostly using pathfinder and 3.5. I'm not 100% clear on the differences between 3.5 and 5, but I will begin doing some research into the matter.

On the topic of Elemental Evil, this module is an updated, remastered campaign to the original classic 1st edition Temple of Evil campaign setting, and I'm super excited to see that this was the next campaign they created! And I'm excited to see who ends up in my campaign!

What I am Looking For

1. I am looking for 5 players. No more, 4 is acceptable, no exceptions.
2. School is starting soon, but I would still like to see if it is at all possible to coordinate a day and a time where everyone can get on at the same time and do full sessions of play.
3. I welcome new and old players.

*I will add more here as I think of them.

House Rules

1. This will be my system for Diplomacy, because it makes so much sense.

*I will add more as I think of them

My DM Style

I just want to let you know how I like to play, ya know to make sure my DM preferences line up with what you want as a player. And if you have any questions or suggestions about this, please feel free to ask so I can clear up any concerns.

1. I require that you roleplay your stats.
2. I want you to keep track of how much your stuff weighs vs your carrying capacity. If that means you have to buy a mule or a wagon at some point, so be it!
3. You will be rolling for your stats. This may be amended depending on the difference between the lowest and highest player. But I firmly believe in the RNG god.
4. Since this is my first time as a DM I don't want to deal with too much crazy. I would prefer it if you stuck with core races and classes, but understand that doesn't provide you with many options so if there is something else you want to play, let me know what it is and a link to its information.

*I'll add more as I think of it

Application

I don't even know if I'll have that many people to choose from.... but I'd still like a little information from you if you are interested: Just post it in this thread.

[b]Gaia Name:[/b]
[b]Time Zone:[/b]
[b]Experience:[/b]
[b]Availability:[/b]
[b]Possible Role:[/b]
[b]Things you like to see in your games:[/b]
[b]What you expect from me:[/b]

Players

-----------------------------
[1] Gaia Name: Ryssa Blackblood
Time Zone: Eastern US
Experience: A lot - 1st ed, 3.5, 4, 5, custom games
Availability: Varies, evenings usually
Possible Role: Any, leaning more towards striker though
Things you like to see in your games: Characters who are more Action oriented and don't clog up EVERY encounter trying to talk down psychotic killers while they're stabbing the other half of the party to death.
What you expect from me: A fun game biggrin

------------------------------

Gaia Name: PupSage
Time Zone: Central
Experience: 17 years between multiple systems.
Availability: 6-9 every night, most Saturdays, never Sundays.
Possible Role: I'm feeling either Monk (Social & DPS), Totem Barbarian(Smashy Tank), or Wild Sorceror (Social), Or if you will allow it, the Buckaneer Rogue from Dragon Magazine. Also social/DPS
Things you like to see in your games: Killing s**t. Combat, combat, combat.
What you expect from me: Don't be a douche-canoe.

Gaia Name: Kowsauni
Time Zone: Hawaiian-Aleutian Standard Time
Experience: I've played mostly 4th ed D&D with a little experience with Pathfinder, 3.5 D&D, World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu
Availability: I'm available most evenings, though I play a game on the weekends and have a weekday game that plays on either Wednesday or Thursday.
Possible Role: Undecided, I tend to lean towards striker but I might just play whatever role is needed.
Things you like to see in your games: Good story, NPCs that I care about.
What you expect from me: Proactive Dming

Story Background

The threat of Elemental Evil surfaces in different worlds of the multiverse whenever the force known as the Elder Elemental Eye tests its strength. In its current incarnation, Elemental Evil arises in the Sumber Hills. The scattered towns and isolated homesteads of this frontier now face a dire threat. If the forces of Elemental Evil can’t be defeated before they grow, madness and destruction could spread unchecked through the North.
The presence of Elemental Evil in Sumber Hills goes back thousands of years, when a sect of renegade drow discovered the extensive caverns beneath the Sumber Hills and claimed it as their territory. These dark elves venerated a terrible god or primordial evil, and they built a shrine to this nameless power. In time, the ancient drow cult faded away, and the place known as the Temple of the Elder Elemental Eye was forgotten for centuries.
The Dwarves of Besilmer were the next to discover the site. Besilmer was a realm of pastures and cropland. The Dwarves established an underground stronghold called Tyar-Besil beneath the Sumber Hills to defend against the trolls and giants that plagued the region. The dwarves discovered the ancient drow hold and and its temple below their own delvings. They lacked the strength to clean out the ruins, so they abandoned their deeper excavations. Trolls giants soon broke the realm of Besilmer, and the remaining dwarves abandoned the place altogether.
Over the years adventurers occasionally stumbled across the buried stronghold of Tyar-Besil and the drow vault below it. Few made any lasting records of their explorations, and their names are forgotten. About 600 years before the present day, a band of adventurers called the Knights of the Silver Horn found the place and proceeded an exploration of the ruins. They raised their keeps over each of the known access points leading to the ancient dwarven ruins. The adventurers feared something in the deep caves below the Sumber Hills, and plan to set a permanent watch over the area.
History didn’t cooperate. A generation later, an Orc horde swept through the North and the keeps were overrun. For centuries they stood empty. Locals came to know them as the Haunted Keeps, and various monsters occasionally occupied the ruins.
A few years ago, a drow named Vieran DeVir returned to the ancient Fane of the Eye. A renegade drow wizard of great power, DeVir devoted himself to the nameless power of the Elder Elemental Eye, and thus resurrected the powers of the Elemental Evil. And this is where our story begins…

Character stuff

Resources:
Character sheet. I use Myth-Weaver

The books tells me to urge you to choose an adventure specific hook and align with a faction, so here I shall detail those choices. Include it in your character sheet, you do not have to share this with anyone else, unless you want to. More information on certain topics will be given to you once you make your choice.

Adventure Hooks

Best Served Cold: The Character must find and defeat the minstrel who attends Aerisi Kalinoth.

Dangerous Information: Its a race against time- The character overheard cruel bandits planning a raid and and intends to stop them.

Dangerous Secret: The character has been assigned to infiltrate the mysterious druids of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon and discover their plans.

Dark Omens: The signs and portents are clear: nature is out of balance. Terrible disaster is drawing closer with each passing day. Restore balance to nature.

Defeat the Skyriders: Vicious raiders mounted on Hippogriffs have laid waste to several small hamlets and merchant caravans, and the character has sworn to stop them.

Feathergale Rebel: The character has been sent to retrieve a Waterhavian noblewoman.
The Fugitive: The character is on the trail of a ruthless murderer.

Hired Hand: Homesteaders who were kind to itinerant workers are now missing. The character sets out to have revenge and to rescue any survivors.

Madman and Haunted Keep: The character knows that unsavory sorts have occupied Riverguard Keep, and that there is a secret way into the castle.

The Mud Sorcerer: Months ago, the character was robbed by a genasi who killed several innocent bystanders. The character wants revenge.

Ominous Dream: The character has seen the Earth prophet, in dreams, and knows of a dangerous villain that must be stopped.

Recover Your Sword: Thugs broke into the workshop where the character apprenticed, murdered the master smith, and stole the beautiful sword she’d made.

Rescue Your People: Raiders from the fire cult have abducted people, the character feels responsible for protecting. They must be recovered at any cost.

Seeking Revenge: Fire cultists torched the characters home or raided a defenseless village (your choice). Character has sworn to stop them.

Settle a Score: Marauders in stony armor robbed the characters friends or family (your choice) and left the character for dead. Now its time to even the score.

Shaterkeel’s Trail: Months ago, a powerful pirate destroyed the characters ship by conjuring a powerful storm. Dozens of sailors died and the character seeks revenge.

Standing Offer: Months ago, the character served as a guide for a band of mysterious pilgrims. The Character’s mission is to infiltrate the group and discover their intentions.

Strange Map: An ancient Map has come into the character’s possession.

Suspicious Fellow: The character becomes suspicious of a knight of the Feathergale Society and decides to investigate.

Undercover: The character is tasked to break up a smuggling and Piracy ring.

Walked Away: The character was briefly recruited by the fire cultists, but never took up arms with them. The character wants to stop them because they give mercenaries a bad name.

Factions are like political parties, religious organizations, or secret societies. You may choose to have a connection to one of the five factions listed below. Your relationship with said Faction can be as complex as you like, and can possibly provide you with further information. You do not have to choose a faction if you do not wish to. Listed are the most common types of members, but do are not the only classes to be found within a faction. If you have a reasonable reason as to why you are with the faction, then go for it!

Factions

Major

The Harpers
A scattered network of spellcasters and spies. The Harpers advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power, magical or otherwise. Agents operate in secret and emphasize stealth and subtlety, or at the very least, discretion. Bards and Wizards are their most prominent members.

The Order of the Gauntlet
This faction is primarily a military organization made up of Paladins, Clerics, and Monks. Members of the order are faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who protect others from the oppression of evildoers. They exact swift retribution against those who violate the law.

The Emerald Enclave
This widespread group of wilderness survivalists preserves the natural order, while rooting out unnatural threats. Many of the Enclave's members are barbarians, druids, and rangers. Some wander untamed lands while others make their homes on the outskirts of towns and villages, where they help to protect travelers from the dangers of the wild.

The Lord’s Alliance
The Lord’s Alliance is a shaky compact of aggressive political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity. Fighters, and Sorcerers are prevailing among alliance agents, and they are often glory hounds seeking personal recognition. Most agents are lawful or neutral; in the courtly circles of the lord's, those who don’t follow the rules seldom last long.

The Zhentarim
This shadow network seeks to expand its influence and power base throughout Faerun. It’s members coerce, persuade, or buy their way into every major area of influence. Rogues and and Warlocks are the main ranks of the Zhentarim, but the faction is apt to hire anyone who can conduct its business without too many moral reservations.

Minor Factions

Elves of the High Forest
The High Forest once sheltered three great elven realms beneath its boughs. Many tribes of wood elves- and a few moon elves- still protect the ruined monuments of their golden age. Few beyond the borders of the High Forest know much about these elves.

The Hand of Yartar
The famous chronicler Volo once said that everyone in Yartar is after money or power-preferably both- in as short a time as possible.

The Knights of Samular
This order of Paladins dedicated to the Tyr has pursued justice across the North for over hundreds of years.

Uthgardt Tribes
For over thousands of years, the barbarian humans of the Uthgardt tribes have roved the North, holding to ancient customs of ritual and taboo. They are known for their hatred of magic. Thought to be little better than the Orcs.

Stat Rolling

Roll 4d6 drop the lowest number. Do this 7 times, drop the lowest stat.

Starting Wealth

You can have the starting items given to you by class or use this:

Cleric  5d4x10gp
Fighter  5d4x10gp
Rogue 4d4 × 10 gp
Wizard 4d4 × 10 gp
*Your class should have this in its description as well I think.

Finished Character Sheets

[1] Peri - Fighter/Rouge
[2] Garric Harian - Bard
[3] Jynx - Sorceress
[4] Maureen - Cleric
[5] Shaumar - Paladin  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:47 pm
Goddess Kairos

Gaia Name: Ryssa Blackblood
Time Zone: Eastern US
Experience: A lot - 1st ed, 3.5, 4, 5, custom games
Availability: Varies, evenings usually
Possible Role: Any, leaning more towards striker though
Things you like to see in your games: Characters who are more Action oriented and don't clog up EVERY encounter trying to talk down psychotic killers while they're stabbing the other half of the party to death.
What you expect from me: A fun game biggrin

I will say that you most likely won't be able to use your diplomacy rule straight out of the box as it was crafted for 3.5, and the scope/scale of numbers in 5th ed are much smaller all around. It seems like a rather logical approach to diplo usage, but the number values would need some definite tweaks.  

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:22 pm
Ryssa Blackblood

I will say that you most likely won't be able to use your diplomacy rule straight out of the box as it was crafted for 3.5, and the scope/scale of numbers in 5th ed are much smaller all around. It seems like a rather logical approach to diplo usage, but the number values would need some definite tweaks.

Thanks! I will definitely look into that. I love diplomacy based characters, and I feel that while punching things and hitting things has its places, so does talking to people aspect, and I like the way he addressed the issue. :3

p.s. welcome aboard!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:01 am
Goddess Kairos

House Rules

I would just like to say that this majorly concerns me.
This is a 5e game, the DCs are lower, you never get skill points, and synergy bonuses don't exist anymore.
A DC of 30 is supposed to be impossible in 5e, but if your starting DCs at a base of 15 and adding the enemy's level ...
Well lets just say this, you are using a pre-gen adventure, stick to the pre-gen DCs. I am not saying that this is a bad idea, but you would probably want to lower the base value to like 8+character level, but even then its better to just give the opponent an opposing check instead.

To put it into perspective:
THE MAXIMUM ROLL FOR ANY SKILL IN 5th
Max ability modifier (+5) + Lvl 20 proficiency bonus (+6) + Playing a bard or rogue with the expertise ability +6 + Highest non-crit roll possible (19)

5+6+6+19=36

Vs a 3.5 character at lvl 20
Ability +7
Skill +23
Synergy +32 (Assuming character is built for Diplomacy)
Plus highest non crit roll = 19
7+23+32+19=81 and that not even factoring in equipment bonuses.

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:05 am
Gaia Name: PupSage
Time Zone: Central
Experience: 17 years between multiple systems.
Availability: 6-9 every night, most Saturdays, never Sundays.
Possible Role: I'm feeling either Monk (Social & DPS), Totem Barbarian(Smashy Tank), or Wild Sorceror (Social), Or if you will allow it, the Buckaneer Rogue from Dragon Magazine. Also social/DPS
Things you like to see in your games: Killing s**t. Combat, combat, combat.
What you expect from me: Don't be a douche-canoe.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 am
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood

Thanks! I will definitely look into that. I love diplomacy based characters, and I feel that while punching things and hitting things has its places, so does talking to people aspect, and I like the way he addressed the issue. :3

p.s. welcome aboard!

Thank ya thank ya.

and yeah, diplomacy certainly has it's place. However, the group I play 5th with currently seems to thing that it's always an option. More than once they've tried to stop active combat halfway through a round to try and find out "What's your favorite kind of lettuce" or some crap from the guy attacking us....totally nonsensical. Once the fight's started, that means you've failed, diplo-guys. Don't be considering the moral implications of self-defense and just fight the hell back! XD  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:48 am
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood

p.s. welcome aboard!

Thank ya thank ya.

and yeah, diplomacy certainly has it's place. However, the group I play 5th with currently seems to thing that it's always an option. More than once they've tried to stop active combat halfway through a round to try and find out "What's your favorite kind of lettuce" or some crap from the guy attacking us....totally nonsensical. Once the fight's started, that means you've failed, diplo-guys. Don't be considering the moral implications of self-defense and just fight the hell back! XD

Once the weapons come out, people usually become hostile lol. Yea, no that's ridiculous haha. The flow of things will probably go roleplay to find leads -> Use leads to f things up -> roleplay to find leads -> etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:53 am
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood

p.s. welcome aboard!

Thank ya thank ya.

Once the weapons come out, people usually become hostile lol. Yea, no that's ridiculous haha. The flow of things will probably go roleplay to find leads -> Use leads to f things up -> roleplay to find leads -> etc.

Yeah, and that makes sense...really that's how it should be. What are your intentions for the characters starting out? Level 1 or a smidge higher?  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:58 am
PupSage
Goddess Kairos

House Rules

I would just like to say that this majorly concerns me.
This is a 5e game, the DCs are lower, you never get skill points, and synergy bonuses don't exist anymore.
A DC of 30 is supposed to be impossible in 5e, but if your starting DCs at a base of 15 and adding the enemy's level ...
Well lets just say this, you are using a pre-gen adventure, stick to the pre-gen DCs. I am not saying that this is a bad idea, but you would probably want to lower the base value to like 8+character level, but even then its better to just give the opponent an opposing check instead.

To put it into perspective:
THE MAXIMUM ROLL FOR ANY SKILL IN 5th
Max ability modifier (+5) + Lvl 20 proficiency bonus (+6) + Playing a bard or rogue with the expertise ability +6 + Highest non-crit roll possible (19)

5+6+6+19=36

Vs a 3.5 character at lvl 20
Ability +7
Skill +23
Synergy +32 (Assuming character is built for Diplomacy)
Plus highest non crit roll = 19
7+23+32+19=81 and that not even factoring in equipment bonuses.

Thank you for detailing this for me and putting it into perspective! I'm still brushing up on my 5e rules (promise to have it ready by the time the game starts)

Spell saves start at base 8 so putting the formula to:

8+ Highest proficiency bonus + Highest Wis

Relationship
+2
+4
+6
+8

Risk vs Judgement
+3
+6
+9

Again, can always be amended once this system is tested. I want it to be as fair as possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 am
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood

p.s. welcome aboard!

Thank ya thank ya.

Yeah, and that makes sense...really that's how it should be. What are your intentions for the characters starting out? Level 1 or a smidge higher?

We can either start at level 3 and jump right in to the main campaign, or start at level 1 and let everyone test the waters in a pre-quest (would probably be mostly for my benefit)  

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:29 am
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood
Goddess Kairos
Ryssa Blackblood

p.s. welcome aboard!

Thank ya thank ya.

We can either start at level 3 and jump right in to the main campaign, or start at level 1 and let everyone test the waters in a pre-quest (would probably be mostly for my benefit)
Either one works for me, as I have ideas for both routes.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 pm
I vote for level three. I ran this adventure before and red latch(levels 1-3) ran very slow and boring and we had a lot of death.

For that same reason i vote for Exp leveling over milestones.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:30 pm
personally I prefer milestone leveling since it keeps the party on track at the same level....and it's not adventure league, so why bother worrying about xp numbers?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:30 pm
PupSage
I vote for level three. I ran this adventure before and red latch(levels 1-3) ran very slow and boring and we had a lot of death.

For that same reason i vote for Exp leveling over milestones.

I'm cool with level 3! On one hand I'm glad you've played before, and on the other, you know a lot about the events. XD  

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Goddess Kairos

Quotable Genius

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm
I think I want to go with the experience leveling system, only because I know how that works. I don't know the first thing about deciding on milestones and what not.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff