Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply Chatterbox Main - Forum Games, Discussion, Contests, etc.
Old School Roleplayer

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aidian Kyros

Generous Conversationalist

6,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:00 pm
And shepherds we shall be...

Okay so I'm going to be honest, this new setup is killing me. I'm an old school player. I type my description, bold my speech, slap some colors on it and submit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the pictures and everything that so many roleplays require these days. Is anyone out there still doing it the traditional way? Failing that, can someone give me some pointers on how to set up my posts with the pictures so that they line up properly instead of being a mess?

...For thee my Lord for thee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:52 pm
Aidian Kyros

Okay so I'm going to be honest, this new setup is killing me. I'm an old school player. I type my description, bold my speech, slap some colors on it and submit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the pictures and everything that so many roleplays require these days. Is anyone out there still doing it the traditional way? Failing that, can someone give me some pointers on how to set up my posts with the pictures so that they line up properly instead of being a mess?

I'd say I'm mostly the same. The fanciest I've done is some shading to my photos for the post, or looking specific colors for the dialogue. I keep to it cause there's really no reason to go all fancy with layouts when most the RP's I'm in die out within a couple weeks.  

Phoenix347

Angelic Scrounger

5,875 Points
  • Skill Up 50
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Waffles! 25

Aidian Kyros

6,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:57 pm

That's my biggest concern about putting a whole lot of effort into setting up a picture that resembles my character (I have no drawing ability whatsoever), building the code to make it look halfway decent, and then going back every ten minutes to copy it because tek tek no longer exists. What I have right now is fairly simple and I've been using this format for years.

I just wish I could find a group of old school players that I could roll with for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Aidian Kyros

That's my biggest concern about putting a whole lot of effort into setting up a picture that resembles my character (I have no drawing ability whatsoever), building the code to make it look halfway decent, and then going back every ten minutes to copy it because tek tek no longer exists. What I have right now is fairly simple and I've been using this format for years.

I just wish I could find a group of old school players that I could roll with for awhile.

At least in this guild there's one RP that's mostly the so called 'old school' format; Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis..  

Phoenix347

Angelic Scrounger

5,875 Points
  • Skill Up 50
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Waffles! 25

GalaxyCommander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 am
Aidian Kyros

For about 6 years I refused to use a picture... then My best rp friend made a fanart pic for my main rpc.. Although I will admit I do like the idea of no pictures better if you want this I will promote that idea if you and I rp.

On a second thought your gaia name is familiar to me... do we know eachother o.o?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am
GalaxyCommander

That's a distinct possibility. I've been a member since '04 (Original profile was Royal Guard Aidian Kyros) so we may have bumped into one another at some point. I see that you're a roleplayer judging by your taste in guilds, so maybe!

As far as the pictures are concerned, I finally overcame my trepidation of them and started using them. It's not to bad once you figure out the layout and get it the way you want it.

Aidian Kyros

6,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:20 am
Aidian Kyros
GalaxyCommander

That's a distinct possibility. I've been a member since '04 (Original profile was Royal Guard Aidian Kyros) so we may have bumped into one another at some point. I see that you're a roleplayer judging by your taste in guilds, so maybe!

As far as the pictures are concerned, I finally overcame my trepidation of them and started using them. It's not to bad once you figure out the layout and get it the way you want it.

Not all author's require images. Most just prefer them for easier skimming. Perhaps it's part of the downfall of roleplay since we use images, videos, and music to make up for what we can't be bothered to put into words and/or image for ourselves.

Anyone, it's possible to work out agreements with most authors. Also, there's always the option of running your own show so you establish your own rules.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 am
Novama

Not all author's require images. Most just prefer them for easier skimming. Perhaps it's part of the downfall of roleplay since we use images, videos, and music to make up for what we can't be bothered to put into words and/or image for ourselves.

Anyone, it's possible to work out agreements with most authors. Also, there's always the option of running your own show so you establish your own rules.

I've tried that a few times in the last few years, but getting people to stay active in a literate roleplay is really tough. I'm guilty of it myself because there are times that I want to do five or six posts a day and when no one responds for two or three days I end up losing all of that initiative.

I also think you nailed it on the head about why people use images so much now. I think it's the fact that the newer generations just don't have the imagination anymore. I'm 26 and I grew up in a household that couldn't afford consoles or computers for my brother and I, so we made our own games. Everything from changing the rules on board games to creating epic adventures in the woods, we did it all. And all of my friends joined in as well, and we'd have heroic battles and quests and everything.

Nowadays you've got 6 year old kids with iPhones and 10 year olds playing Call of Duty all day and night and they aren't learning to use their own mind to create anything! I honestly believe that is why our generation hasn't accomplished anything new or unique because they aren't learning how to think creatively anymore.

Aidian Kyros

6,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 am
Aidian Kyros
Novama

I've tried that a few times in the last few years, but getting people to stay active in a literate roleplay is really tough. I'm guilty of it myself because there are times that I want to do five or six posts a day and when no one responds for two or three days I end up losing all of that initiative.

I also think you nailed it on the head about why people use images so much now. I think it's the fact that the newer generations just don't have the imagination anymore. I'm 26 and I grew up in a household that couldn't afford consoles or computers for my brother and I, so we made our own games. Everything from changing the rules on board games to creating epic adventures in the woods, we did it all. And all of my friends joined in as well, and we'd have heroic battles and quests and everything.

Nowadays you've got 6 year old kids with iPhones and 10 year olds playing Call of Duty all day and night and they aren't learning to use their own mind to create anything! I honestly believe that is why our generation hasn't accomplished anything new or unique because they aren't learning how to think creatively anymore.

I encourage you to create a new rp or setup a planning thread for an idea of yours. If you just want to hop into one, perhaps joining one of the other planning threads or existing rp's would be good. I'm sure we have something or can make something that will fit your rp'ing needs.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm
Novama

I encourage you to create a new rp or setup a planning thread for an idea of yours. If you just want to hop into one, perhaps joining one of the other planning threads or existing rp's would be good. I'm sure we have something or can make something that will fit your rp'ing needs.

Advice = taken

Aidian Kyros

6,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

GalaxyCommander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:28 am
Aidian Kyros

Ah that is a more familiar name I do believe we have participated in an rp somewhere along the lines. Yes I am an rp'er. as a result of only rp'ing on gaia... I never acquired any real gaiagold x.x never really cared to get any.

Along the years I started using pictures as many people began to use them until it became frowned upon not to use them. I still will not under any circumstance use a real person picture however that's just sad in my opinion.

Also be advised I do have a thread that is for constructing rp's mine and others it's a forums twist on planning session as a group so to speak. Although a large part of it (Will be) me imparting my experience on others to develop epic rp's. There are also a few rp's ive been developing there, currently a vote for which one shall be my first one to roll here in the guild for any who is interested.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:58 am
I started RPing in around 2006 or 2007, around the time I exited middle school and entered high school, and all we really needed for our posts was bolded text for speech, a bit of color if you felt like it, you didn't require much of anything else in terms of the posts. Of course, there were people who went the extra mile and stuck pictures and such and special formatting into their posts, but as long as their pictures weren't ungodly huge and obnoxious to the reader, it was fine.

As far as using pictures for characters (In the character profiles I mean), I'm all for it (Minus using real people because why would you?) I'm not terribly good at creating descriptions of characters, but being able to find a picture that just "speaks" to me for my character is a lot easier than coming up with a paragraph description of the character. I prefer to let the character speak for themselves than the profile being the end all for them. It allows the character to grow and change if every part of them isn't set in stone. As far as using music and videos, they shouldn't be replacements for good, effort-filled posts, but I am a huge music lover, so sometimes I will happen upon a song that I just associate with a character of mine, it fits them so perfectly and listening to it actually helps motivate me to post, and quite often I'll find a way to slip in a url to a music track that I feel fits particularly well to the situation or the character. If people click it and enjoy it, that's great, if not, no great loss. I just want people to be as excited about RPing as I can be, that's all. biggrin

Lately I've been sticking with my own little RP group. We chat on skype in a big group chat, talk about random nonsense, and make smaller group RPs or 1x1s in the private guild we have, but lately it's basically become a waiting game for the same five or six people to post once or twice a day and then not seeing them for a while while the RPs slow down and motivation dries up. With the RPFLA overhaul it's not exactly easy to make a new RP here, and Barton Town is... Barton Town. I really wanna get back into more active RPing, because I know the motivation is in there somewhere, it's just hard to find something that strikes me as interesting without pouring hours of effort into making an RP that dies on page five or six because "Posting is hard, yo."

IBlameRoadSuess

Sparkly Gekko

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0

GalaxyCommander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:16 am
IBlameRoadSuess

My only response to this is around 2004 is when pictures started becoming prominent however they hadn't been a required concept now in most profile setups themselves it requires a picture bleh...  
Chatterbox Main - Forum Games, Discussion, Contests, etc.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games