Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
I'm trying to design a variant 3.5/PF Blend

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:30 pm
There's more content in 3.5 and I liked the idea of being able to vaporize enough HD of undead by turning them instead of the channel energy ideas; a lot of Pathfinder's Combat rules are fun (ESPECIALLY because CMD makes things so much easier), and I like how streamlined a lot of the skills are now.

But, seeing as how I have more 3.5 books than pathfinder books, I was hoping y'all might help me pick and choose which things to keep from 3.5, which things to use Pathfinder's system for, and if you have any extra suggestions.

The stuff I've decided to keep from 3.5 are the base classes (though I'm letting people go with a gestalt character instead of just one class, so that way we're still some powerful heroes) and the skill mods at first level ((blah + int mod)x4); I've always had a game centered around the heroes, and I've always been about people doing the impossible. I also use the old races ability bonuses; new Pathfinder races have their mods as normal. I'm also using the old monster traits, and the old feats descriptions.

Pathfinder I'm using the skill-point system (+3 bonus on class skill checks, no extra rank cost. Max ranks equal to character level), CMB/CMD, and the EXP rate.

This is just the bare-bones stuff right now; I'm open to suggestions that don't involve playing 100% of one game or the other (because converting EVERYTHING would just take too long; I've got almost 40GB of stuff).

What are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:15 pm
just fyi: the +3 and x4 are given for the same reason, and end up equalling the same.

Being the idea is 3.8...

Ideas...
Change the magic classes to follow pathfinder's words of power instead of the same boring spell lists

Blade magic

(Would love a class that mixed the two above, into one. If done right...)  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
just fyi: the +3 and x4 are given for the same reason, and end up equalling the same.

Being the idea is 3.8...

Ideas...
Change the magic classes to follow pathfinder's words of power instead of the same boring spell lists

Blade magic

(Would love a class that mixed the two above, into one. If done right...)

I'd use the words of power if it helped me solve the Hexblade dilemma, as well as the psionics issue and the incarnum. If you can help me with that, we might go somewhere.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:42 pm
what is the hexblade dilemma? psionic issue? and that other one?

and biggest one why not work on base first, then work on other issues?  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:25 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
what is the hexblade dilemma? psionic issue? and that other one?

and biggest one why not work on base first, then work on other issues?

After looking at the words of power I've realized Hexblades can be lumped in with the Paladins category (I'm trying to figure out how to translate warrior-type spell casters to the system). Psionics, meanwhile, uses a different style of magic. Since I'm using classes straight from 3.5, it shouldn't be too hard to convert anybody.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games