Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Spiffy quest thread (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Some free gold to the crowd =)
  Yay!
View Results

Keira Lorelei

Friendly Noob

11,250 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:41 am
So I have been thinking about making my very first quest thread but I'm a bit lost (even though I went to read the quest thread guide). So I was hoping someone could enlighten me about a few questions.

- What would be better, having a specific theme or go by specific shades of one color in the thread? (Banners and text)
- How many posts should I save for the thread, if making it permanent?
- Would banners make it more welcome instead of just using text?
- Is there some place I can find pretty, free banners?
- Is there some place I can use nice fonts without having to download it? (I'm mainly online with iPad)
- Does it matter if using dark or light colors? I understand yellow wouldn't be appreciated, but what about neon pink?
- How do I link banners? For example if I want to link my quest thread in signature.

Umm... I think that covered everything I was wondering about. Sorry for the long list of questions, I just want my first thread to turn succeful 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:32 am
Keira Lorelei
So I have been thinking about making my very first quest thread but I'm a bit lost (even though I went to read the quest thread guide). So I was hoping someone could enlighten me about a few questions.

- What would be better, having a specific theme or go by specific shades of one color in the thread? (Banners and text)
- How many posts should I save for the thread, if making it permanent?
- Would banners make it more welcome instead of just using text?
- Is there some place I can find pretty, free banners?
- Is there some place I can use nice fonts without having to download it? (I'm mainly online with iPad)
- Does it matter if using dark or light colors? I understand yellow wouldn't be appreciated, but what about neon pink?
- How do I link banners? For example if I want to link my quest thread in signature.

Umm... I think that covered everything I was wondering about. Sorry for the long list of questions, I just want my first thread to turn succeful 3nodding

1) I don't think banners are super important other than it helps you make your questpost look nicer or more professional, I guess. But I say go for what makes you happy biggrin You like pink, so go for a cute pink theme ^^

2) Oh man. Well that depends on what you think you'll need. I have a post for the introduction. One for the items I am questing for, one for the dream avis I hope to get some day, one for my gold progress, one for donators and one for what I am currently questing for. that´s 6-7 posts already! But I do believe some just cut it much shorter than what I did smile

3) Personally I think banners add a nice touch to it. It doesn't necessarily make it more welcoming because a banner can indeed also make, or break a thread. If you make a very cluttered banner it looks noobish at times, and not everyone will go visit then.

4 - 5) Googling free forum banner generator normally comes up with an easy banner generator. Simple to use and hen you´re done you just downloade the image/save it to your PC. But remember to load it up again somewhere like imgur or Photobucket. since you´ll be needing the img code or the direct code.

6) The colours are entirely up to you and what you feel like. Some like light colours some like dark. But a good idea is looking at colour palette to get an idea of what you want to work with. Neon colours can be tricksy to work with since they normally are seein as being awfully bright to the eyes.

7) This is where your img code comes into the game. I am not used to Imgur and use photobucket more, but with photobucket you need the Direct Code, which can be found at the right side, when you click on the image you uploaded. Simply click where it ways Direct Code and it should copy itself.
Then go to your. Go to your Signature options.

From there press the IMG button. Paste in the Direct Code and press ok. That should produce a rather long code. Select the entire code and press URL. There you past in the link you have to your Quest post and press ok twice. Then you save your signature and that should turn your banner into a clickable button biggrin  

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Keira Lorelei

Friendly Noob

11,250 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 am
I wasn't going to go for all pink, but there will be that color mixed.

Well, I had a specific idea in mind before but after browsing around and looking for more inspiration I found out that pastel colors looks quite nice. They can't really give people a headache watching, right?
So if I used pastel in colors of pink, purple and green- for example? But I have also found a theme I want to work on some more, having butterflies in it. I have also found free banners with that said theme, just not with palette colors.
A bit troublesome but I think I can manage something out anyway.

Would it look weird if I used banners with normal colors but still not those screaming bright ones and then having pastel colors for the post text?

The number of posts saved for the thread, umm.... I guess it's better to have too many than too few? Hard to add extra posts once someone else have posted in the thread. Maybe I should save ten or so, who knows... I might decide to have my own contests in it when I have gotten used to this site and the gold making 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:28 am
Keira Lorelei
I wasn't going to go for all pink, but there will be that color mixed.

Well, I had a specific idea in mind before but after browsing around and looking for more inspiration I found out that pastel colors looks quite nice. They can't really give people a headache watching, right?
So if I used pastel in colors of pink, purple and green- for example? But I have also found a theme I want to work on some more, having butterflies in it. I have also found free banners with that said theme, just not with palette colors.
A bit troublesome but I think I can manage something out anyway.

Would it look weird if I used banners with normal colors but still not those screaming bright ones and then having pastel colors for the post text?

The number of posts saved for the thread, umm.... I guess it's better to have too many than too few? Hard to add extra posts once someone else have posted in the thread. Maybe I should save ten or so, who knows... I might decide to have my own contests in it when I have gotten used to this site and the gold making 3nodding

Pastel colours are always lovely and I personally try to go for them myself, when I make my drawings. I think you should go for them, always cute and adorable with pastel biggrin

I think it would look a little too messy with both pastel and more monochrome colours. A good thing to remember when making a banner is not to mix too many colours, items and fonts into it, it disturbs the eyes and makes it look messy. Like designing websites (maaan I´ve been there, and it is a hassle at times).

I say better go a little over than under. You can always do as I did and have some posts you call Reserved, which you can use for whatever you feel like, when you might need it smile  

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items