Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Is their any interest...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alzzak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:46 pm
...in a 5th edition game? I have been looking it over the basic rules, found here(watch out they want your cookies), and it seems simple enough. Kind of like 3.5 with 4e terms thrown in.

So, I was wondering if I changed my Heroes and Villians to it would people play?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:01 pm
Alzzak
...in a 5th edition game? I have been looking it over the basic rules, found here(watch out they want your cookies), and it seems simple enough. Kind of like 3.5 with 4e terms thrown in.

So, I was wondering if I changed my Heroes and Villians to it would people play?

5e is pretty epic.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:06 pm
I'mma be honest... I thought this whole site ******** died.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:36 pm
I have never looked at 5th edition, but rumors made it not sound very good. But you know rumors.

EDIT: Well, looked into it some, and I'm not interested. 5e looked like 'let's try to go back to 3.5 but fuse it with 4e' and, honestly, some things just didn't look good.

Like fighter, 'we're gonna give you stat boosts, yay! Oh, but you can't increase anything with em past 20, so you gotta use em in your non-main stat and probably some of your more dump stats'. Did the same to wizard, but wizard has generally been OP so doesn't matter as much.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:36 am
Raganui Minamoto
I have never looked at 5th edition, but rumors made it not sound very good. But you know rumors.

EDIT: Well, looked into it some, and I'm not interested. 5e looked like 'let's try to go back to 3.5 but fuse it with 4e' and, honestly, some things just didn't look good.

Like fighter, 'we're gonna give you stat boosts, yay! Oh, but you can't increase anything with em past 20, so you gotta use em in your non-main stat and probably some of your more dump stats'. Did the same to wizard, but wizard has generally been OP so doesn't matter as much.

No stat can go above 20 for anyone. A skill check of DC 30 is supposed to be "impossible" in 5e. And most feats raise your stats now, but you can trade out feats for ability points.

Basically they took the mechanics of 3.5, some of the class concepts from 4e, and made it harder to break.

I've only found 3 ways to break it and I have had it since day 1. Honestly 1 of those ways requires a stupid DM and incredible luck, and another isnt all that broken. The last one though ... 4 attacks per turn at level 6 ...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 am
Fair enough. I will say that I may have been in the more 3.5 mindset when looking at it, where you were almost required to have very high stats in your primary one.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:29 pm
PupSage
Raganui Minamoto

No stat can go above 20 for anyone. A skill check of DC 30 is supposed to be "impossible" in 5e. And most feats raise your stats now, but you can trade out feats for ability points.

Basically they took the mechanics of 3.5, some of the class concepts from 4e, and made it harder to break.

I've only found 3 ways to break it and I have had it since day 1. Honestly 1 of those ways requires a stupid DM and incredible luck, and another isnt all that broken. The last one though ... 4 attacks per turn at level 6 ...

That last one… do tell.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 pm
Xaccheus
PupSage
Raganui Minamoto

That last one… do tell.

Slight mispeaking, 5 attacks per turn at 11th level. Valor Bard, Magical Secrets, Swift Quiver  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:06 pm
Mind, I have never played the system, nor know of a store to buy the books. So chances we would only be using the info on the above site.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:04 pm
Alzzak
Mind, I have never played the system, nor know of a store to buy the books. So chances we would only be using the info on the above site.

:/ For those of us that have the books, could we use them.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Alzzak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 am
PupSage
Alzzak

:/ For those of us that have the books, could we use them.

I see no issue with it, save for feats. There is not a single option for feat in the pdf's, though thanks to the outline on the topic I know they are in chapter 6 of the player's handbook.

So in terms of fairness, no feats.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 am
:/ Im good then.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

DarkSohisohi

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am
Alzzak
Who is DMing?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff