Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 1 - Beast of a Thousand Knives (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:05 am
Kuori picked up the branch and the fur and said, "Just when I was starting to doubt the tree theory." She took the items over to Mr. Hopkins. "The thing crawled out of the pen over there. And it looks like Duke struggled enough to get a bit of a trim from the trees."  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:12 am
PupSage
Kuori picked up the branch and the fur and said, "Just when I was starting to doubt the tree theory." She took the items over to Mr. Hopkins. "The thing crawled out of the pen over there. And it looks like Duke struggled enough to get a bit of a trim from the trees."

((The broken branch lies outside the pen at the edge of the forest. You would have to jump over the fence to get it , which would be easy enough for Kuori, just wanted to make sure that was clear, I'll update the map later to show this.))  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 am
Kowsauni
PupSage

((The broken branch lies outside the pen at the edge of the forest. You would have to jump over the fence to get it , which would be easy enough for Kuori, just wanted to make sure that was clear, I'll update the map later to show this.))

((K))  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:25 pm
Old Man Hopkins
User Image

Mr. Hopkins looks at the fur and his face darkens. He lets out a deep sigh. "Well, that does look like Duke's fur. You got it from just beyond the fence? over there?" Mr. Hopkins lets out another sigh. "That would mean he was dragged into Tapana woods. Poor Duke..." Mr. Hopkins seems incredibly crestfallen at the idea that his bull was brought into the forest.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:23 pm
So whatever it was, went up and down the sides of the barn, in a direction parallel to the pen. But it definitely seemed to go TOWARDS the pen, rather than from it.

If the woods were that bad, Revenge would understand why Hopkins seemed to feel like recovering the bull was a lost cause. But it seems like whatever it was, didn't come from immediately nearby. Wouldn't most things, be them simple beasts or even raiders who were swiping something, return from whence they came with their prize? If it was from the woods, it re-entered in the most direct route. One would think that it would have used the woods as cover and strike from the same spot it retreated into...

This bothered the paladin, it just didn't make sense. He couldn't help but feel that there was a big old glaring hole that a missing puzzle piece was, but he couldn't for the life of him figure out what that piece ought to be.

Before he suggested back-tracking the other direction, he would try to get a bead on the Hopkins' themselves. Preferably the father first and foremost, if it mattered. Maybe there was something he wasn't telling them...

Quote:
Insight of 27. Do I get the impression Old Man Hopkins is hiding something from us? Or his kids too, if necessary, but I figure if they know, he knows.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:30 am
Upon judging the man, Revenge feels Mr. Hopkins is being nothing but honest with him about the case. It seems he is legitimately concerned about his bull Duke and wants to hopefully help the adventurers find him. However, the news of Duke being dragged into the forest seemed to have dashed those hopes quite a bit.

Revenge also realizes that the tracks they have found are quite sparse and are probably not a complete representation of the actual path the creature took during the night. One thing seems to be clear, though, is that the creature took Duke into the forest.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 am
Revenge would sigh. "My impression that walking into those woods right now would probably do more harm than good," the paladin would say, glancing at the Hopkins' for confirmation, before continuing. "If this is the exit point, should we try backtracking from the barn and see where this thing came from? The behavior seems... strange, to me."  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:45 pm
Old Man Hopkins
User Image

Mr. Hopkins would sigh again and shrug his shoulders at Revenge's comment. "It's hard for me to say. Any cattle I have had wander into the forest in th' past has never returned--but then I've never gone in after them. It's sort of forbidden, y'see. We don't go into the forest without permission. It keeps the peace. I'm sure y'all have already heard about it. Y'all are outsiders though, so it shouldn't make no diff'rence for y'all. Even Adrik isn't considered an official resident yet, at least by the powers that be in th' woods. I just, I just don't have an answer to that question, sonny. The forest is unknown to us."

Suddenly Emmaline comes running up to the pen. You get the feeling she is the kind of person who would rather run than walk when given the chance. She looks at the branch in her father's hand and immediately recognizes the fur. It doesn't take her but a second to figure out what it means. "Duke got dragged into the woods didn't he? We have to go get him, Pa! This is our chance to do somethin' 'bout this! Why, this only happened last night. We might be able to rescue him if he's still alive! Hell, even if he isn't, the creature couldn't have gotten too far by now! We could put an end to this!"

Mr. Hopkin seemed to be caught off guard by his daughter's sudden outburst. He quickly tried to rebuff her. "Now, Em, I know yer excited but we have to be smart 'bout this. Plus you know the rules..."

Emmaline cuts off her father. "Them rules didn' stop Ol' Duke from being taken. Th' forest isn't abidin' by its own laws anymore. We got to take action now while the trail is still fresh! Procrastinatin' will only cause us to lose our chance!"

Emmaline turns to Revenge and the others. "Y'all're adventurers from out of town, right? There ain't nothin' sayin' y'all can't go in the forest. Y'all can go look for Duke and the creature. You gotta help us! That's why y'all came here, right?"

Emmaline Hopkins
User Image

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 pm
Revenge would stay quiet, allowing for the back-and-forth to end, and even then, he would be quiet for a few moments more. Then, he would address the girl.

"What chance do you speak of? From the way your bull... the way Duke was described to us, I don't think he'd be the type to go quietly. You must face the possibility that he is dead. But even if he is not, if he is somehow simply held captive, or stranded... how would we get him back to you? Something tells me he would likely just run rampant once freed, headlong into further danger. I don't think anyone ever delights in being the bearer of bad news, Miss, but it is a bitter pill that must be swallowed."

Revenge would then grip his halberd with both hands, facing towards the woods. "One thing I can do, however, is avenge him." He would look towards the others, and if no one was against it, the paladin would begin to march towards the woodline where Duke had gone, then through...  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:11 pm
Kuori looked at Gloom and said, "Want to place bets on how long he last in that forrest alone?" She would raise her voice so that Revenge could hear her, "Since he didnt even bother to ask us our opinions on the matter."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

I Drink Blue Moon

Tricky Treater

10,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 pm
Gloom shrugged and said, "I dunno. Three hours? Probably more if we follow. And I think that we should. " He would talk off towards the tree line  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm
Tapana Woods

User Image

image made by: Wildweasel339
original image {x}

Thava and Adrik follow the rest of the party to the treeline as the ranchers wave them off and wish them luck. "Now y'all be careful in there y'hear. So far its only cattle that have gone missin. Lets keep it that way...and thanks. Y'all really helpin this town out. If y'all find Ol' Duke come back and see me, they'll be some coin in it for ya."

Upon entering the forest, it was not long before the sparse trees bordering the town of Lupa gave way to the dense forest of the Tapana Woods. The sky grew visibly darker as the towering canopy blocked rays of light from hitting the forest floor. The air in the forest was warm and muggy. The ominous sound of a chirping bug or squawking bird could occasionally be heard. The place had a foreboding feel to it, as if it didn't welcome strangers underneath its branches. You could begin to understand the townsfolk's fear of Tapana, as irrational as it may have seemed before.  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage rolled 2 20-sided dice: 13, 14 Total: 27 (2-40)

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:56 am
13+11= 24 Perception
14+11= 25 Stealth

Kuori reluctantly followed them into the woods, her long strides carried her to the front quickly. "Slow down before you mess up the trail." She held out her arm and stopped Revenge. If low light wont cut it, she will light her lantern if she could still see well she would just start looking for the trail while doing her best to remain silent.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 pm
Tapana Woods

User Image

image made by: Wildweasel339
original image {x}

(Lighting is dimmer here but not enough to infer a penalty))

Kuori moved silently through the forest. Not a bird flew or a bug stopped chirping as she passed by. Though the light was dimmer underneath the trees it did not affect the towering goliath woman. She knew quite well what to look for by now and easily picks up on the creatures trail. Crushed underbrush and broken branches hinted to a large creature being dragged and the occasional odd puncture mark could be seen on tree trunk or in the dirt. The creature went deeper into the forest but Kuroi felt she could easily track it. Though the forest still felt as foreboding as ever.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:52 pm
Revenge would have no problem allowing someone more familiar with this terrain taking the lead. Though he would flatly respond, "I'm in plate mail, how fast do you think I can go?"

Followed by:

"I'm in plate mail, how exactly would you like me to tread softly?"

He would smirk slightly. "Thanks for coming along though, guys. I had been starting to think I was the sole volunteer for a suicide mission. At least, for the past eleven days seconds or so."

Quote:
21 Perception to remain vigilant of threats; this roll isn't dedicated to following any trail, but in preparation for any potential ambushes.

[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff