Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Out of Character Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 117 118 119 120 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:51 pm
Rain Yupa
Southern Cross Nemesis
happy new years

Man, who'd have saw 2020 coming?
I didn't, that is certain  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28 am
Psychofish

SCN_ Grey_fox

PupSage

Rain Yupa

Mongooseh

All right, now that the holiday season is coming to an end I'm going to start getting this thing rolling again.

Unfortunately, I have one major setback now. Wizards of the Coast shut down DnD Insider, which I used for pretty much everything to run this adventure. Monster creation, item look up, character leveling, compendium, I don't have any of those tools anymore and the only books I have are the first two player handbooks. So, I'm either going to have to find new resources to use or just generate everything from scratch. Alphabetfish said she could help me with this.

So, my question to you guys, do you want me to continue running this in fourth edition, which means it might get a little more clunky from here on out, or would you guys like to switch it to a different system that is more open source, but then you'll have to remake all your characters?  

Kowsauni
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am
http://iws.mx/dnd/?list

I found this. It has alot of 4e stuff.

That said, I will ask if I could create another character if we continue with another system. Otherwise I am open for whatever the others say.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 pm
Kowsauni
Psychofish

SCN_ Grey_fox

PupSage

Rain Yupa

Mongooseh

All right, now that the holiday season is coming to an end I'm going to start getting this thing rolling again.

Unfortunately, I have one major setback now. Wizards of the Coast shut down DnD Insider, which I used for pretty much everything to run this adventure. Monster creation, item look up, character leveling, compendium, I don't have any of those tools anymore and the only books I have are the first two player handbooks. So, I'm either going to have to find new resources to use or just generate everything from scratch. Alphabetfish said she could help me with this.

So, my question to you guys, do you want me to continue running this in fourth edition, which means it might get a little more clunky from here on out, or would you guys like to switch it to a different system that is more open source, but then you'll have to remake all your characters?

Whatever is easiest for you friendo, which I know isn't a helpful comment really.

I've always struggled a bit with 4e as a system being that it never really hit with me but even then I've been coming round to it. Though its as you say a pain to find resources for since it wasn't a popular edition.

There's no other system quite like it other than PF2 and that's in its fully infancy especially since they haven't made the Tiefling Ancestry and half the party is Tieflings nor a goliath equivalent makes it a hard pick.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 pm
Kowsauni
Psychofish

SCN_ Grey_fox

PupSage

Rain Yupa

Mongooseh

I have like, 90% of the published materials for 4e if you needed any stat blocks.

I've only ever dabbled in 5e a little and maybe because I don't have it enough but I don't personally care for it. If we did do an edition shift, I'd prefer 3rd or Pathfinder. But I could be talked into 5e. Though 4e's take on the alignment system definitely is a big impact on Revenge's build/character and I worry strict alignment restrictions for paladins might hurt things.

My vote personally is sticking with 4e, at least until the end of the current story.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 am
I like 5e more personally, but I understand that I am a minority here in that regard.

I have sent you a link that includes that majority of 4e books if you want to continue down that road, but personally I have always struggled with 4e.

I just got back into Pathfinder, so I guess that I wouldn't be against a switch to it, but then we'd have to make a lot of custom races.

I am also 100% down for moving to a more freeform system like Fellowship, Open Legend, or FATE that trades in the complicated mechanics for simple rules and good rp.

Fellowship is the D&D version of the PBtA system, (the same one that Monster Hearts is, except way less emphasis on boning the other PCs, which is the main them of Monster Hearts.)  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm
Personally, 5e just feels like a rinse and repeat of 3e/3.5, Pathfinder, and nearly every other system that revolves around a D20, with very few exceptions. I will play it if that is what the DM and group wish. But, 4e was different and, despite its shortcomings, I enjoyed it. I don't know, maybe because it feels more team-driven and the classes are more or less balanced with each other than the other systems.

That said, relaxing restrictions or just using a 4e alignment system wouldn't be too complicated to houserule or follow, no matter the system used. And Tieflings are in Pathfinder and it has the Racial point system, so there is that.

As for FATE and Open Legends, just a fair warning, Due to there not being a Monster Manual, the work of creating All of the bad guys would fall back on the DM(though, dictation is a possible fix to that)

As I stated, I will play what ever system that is ran. Just might not be with Ruin as is, due to melee warlocks aren't in the other systems(That I can recall).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
Personally, 5e just feels like a rinse and repeat of 3e/3.5, Pathfinder, and nearly every other system that revolves around a D20, with very few exceptions. I will play it if that is what the DM and group wish. But, 4e was different and, despite its shortcomings, I enjoyed it. I don't know, maybe because it feels more team-driven and the classes are more or less balanced with each other than the other systems.

That said, relaxing restrictions or just using a 4e alignment system wouldn't be too complicated to houserule or follow, no matter the system used. And Tieflings are in Pathfinder and it has the Racial point system, so there is that.

As for FATE and Open Legends, just a fair warning, Due to there not being a Monster Manual, the work of creating All of the bad guys would fall back on the DM(though, dictation is a possible fix to that)

As I stated, I will play what ever system that is ran. Just might not be with Ruin as is, due to melee warlocks aren't in the other systems(That I can recall).

Hexblade is in 5e and Pathfinder.

I also feel that 5e got rid of the crazy high math that even 4e can become guilty of.

I.e. I have 12 ranks in Diplomacy and get an extra +6 from my skill synergies with these skills, and another +4 from my amulet of talking to things, and my charisma mod is a +8 and if it is a tree stump I get an extra +4 from being a treant cleric of death, so that is +36 as a level 9 PC and ******** you because unless I roll a 1 I won't fail.

Legit, my Pathfinder game I am in right now I have (on a level 8 pc) +18 and 1d8 to every skill (except perform, fly, and like 3 other oddball ones like that) and am still dealing 1d8+3d6 damage with a +11 to hit.

Our sorceror is hitting for 80-140 damage on the regular.

5e, a level 20 character will have at most a +26 to hit (and that is assuming they have spells cast on them and are maxed out, eliminating true strike because that adds an extra 20, but you only attack every other turn then.

Skill wise (short of some perception cheese) a +17 is the max without items and that is from 2 sources. And that is again, a level 20 pc. (proficiency bonus times two from expertise, which only two classes get (12) + a maxed attribute equaling +5. Perception can get an extra +5 from a feat and Barbarians can get an extra +2 to strength and con skill at level 20 if they only leveled barbarian.

I am always down for easier math.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:56 pm
PupSage

I also feel that 5e got rid of the crazy high math that even 4e can become guilty of.

I.e. I have 12 ranks in Diplomacy and get an extra +6 from my skill synergies with these skills, and another +4 from my amulet of talking to things, and my charisma mod is a +8 and if it is a tree stump I get an extra +4 from being a treant cleric of death, so that is +36 as a level 9 PC and ******** you because unless I roll a 1 I won't fail.

Legit, my Pathfinder game I am in right now I have (on a level 8 pc) +18 and 1d8 to every skill (except perform, fly, and like 3 other oddball ones like that) and am still dealing 1d8+3d6 damage with a +11 to hit.

5e, a level 20 character will have at most a +26 to hit (and that is assuming they have spells cast on them and are maxed out, eliminating true strike because that adds an extra 20, but you only attack every other turn then.

Skill wise (short of some perception cheese) a +17 is the max without items and that is from 2 sources.  And that is again, a level 20 pc.  (proficiency bonus times two from expertise, which only two classes get (12) + a maxed attribute equaling +5.  Perception can get an extra +5 from a feat and Barbarians can get an extra +2 to strength and con skill at level 20 if they only leveled barbarian.

I will agree math is easy in 5e, but
4e's math was easy too. You only get one bonus of each type and add them together.

+(1/2 level) +Modifier Bonus +Racial bonus +class bonus +enchantment bonus +Untyped - any penlties.

Yes, you could get high numbers, if you tried, though rarely they would be game breakingly strong bonuses. As you pointed out with your 36 Diplomacy example. With 4e the highest skill bonus I could pull on a level 8 character was 20 Arcane, and that was using every advantage I could muster. And it wouldn't get much better from that point to 30(except for the 1/2 level bonus).

The thing I dislike about 5e/Pathfinder is class balance-related. The Druid, Wizard, Cleric and other spellcasters can and do make the other classes obsolete by level 8 or sooner in some cases. Why be a fighter, paladin, or ranger when a Cleric can do your job better than you and more, at the cost of a slightly worse Hit Die.

edit:
I must be blind as I can't see the Hexblade in Pathfinder  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:28 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
PupSage

Skill wise (short of some perception cheese) a +17 is the max without items and that is from 2 sources.  And that is again, a level 20 pc.  (proficiency bonus times two from expertise, which only two classes get (12) + a maxed attribute equaling +5.  Perception can get an extra +5 from a feat and Barbarians can get an extra +2 to strength and con skill at level 20 if they only leveled barbarian.

I will agree math is easy in 5e, but
4e's math was easy too. You only get one bonus of each type and add them together.

+(1/2 level) +Modifier Bonus +Racial bonus +class bonus +enchantment bonus +Untyped - any penlties.

Yes, you could get high numbers, if you tried, though rarely they would be game breakingly strong bonuses. As you pointed out with your 36 Diplomacy example. With 4e the highest skill bonus I could pull on a level 8 character was 20 Arcane, and that was using every advantage I could muster. And it wouldn't get much better from that point to 30(except for the 1/2 level bonus).

The thing I dislike about 5e/Pathfinder is class balance-related. The Druid, Wizard, Cleric and other spellcasters can and do make the other classes obsolete by level 8 or sooner in some cases. Why be a fighter, paladin, or ranger when a Cleric can do your job better than you and more, at the cost of a slightly worse Hit Die.

edit:
I must be blind as I can't see the Hexblade in Pathfinder

There are a few ways to do it Magus in general is your spellsword class, fighter has an archetype for having a summoned weapon, and several casters can have summoned weapons.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:55 pm
Though with all suggestions on the table might just be worth putting a poll up that follows the voting structure laid out in this video.

https://youtu.be/orybDrUj4vA  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:27 pm
So, something like this?

Answer each question with a yes, or silence.
Yes, being you are okay with playing with that system. And silence is a vote a non-vote, whether you don't like/know the system in question or you just want to abstain from that vote.

You can put your reasons if you want, but it would only be the yes's that will be counted.

3.5e?

Pathfinder?

3.5/Pathfinder?

4e?

5e?

Pathfinder 2?

Open Legends?

FATE?

I figured the question of when we change over can be answered after. This would just give us something to work with.

Personal voting here

3.5e? Yes

Pathfinder? Yes

3.5/Pathfinder? Yes

4e? YES

5e? Yes

Pathfinder 2? YES

Open Legends?

FATE?

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 am
3.5e? yes-ish, I won't oppose, but it is less preferable than PF

Pathfinder? yes

3.5/Pathfinder? Eh? No.

4e? Sure, if Kow is okay with it.

5e? BIG YES!

Pathfinder 2? No

Open Legends? No. May not be the best fit?

FATE? Yes  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm
I took the initiative and made four 5e characters. More like updated Cade and Hatchet, made a human fighter, and made Ruin a halfling hexblade warlock.

What? He is short and is too easy just to recon it and say he was lying about being a tiefling and has been using Disguise Self to appear as one.

All have been made to level 5(seem like an easy point to adjest from if we go higher or lower) DM approval would be needed for Hatchet and the human, as they are using UA stuff. The other two have been built to my understanding of ADventure League rules(2 books max and standard array).

Pathfinder and 3.5 characters are next up. I need to reread their character creation bits.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:39 pm
Psychofish

You still with us?  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 117 118 119 120 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games