Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Out of Character Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 117 118 119 120 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:21 pm
Not 100% on my options here, but if it looks like something might be coming up right aside us I might want to ready an action to mark or use Weight of Earth, perhaps charge if not. Not sure if the head notice gets me that kind of option, or just saves us from surprise round penalties.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:17 pm
You just saved the party from being surprised.  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:45 pm
Rain Yupa

Pupsage knows that it has 300+ hp, a high ac, a +21 to hit, a CR about 10 level ahead of us and is essentially going to TPK us if we don't run.

That or Kow is just trying to show off his new NPC ... but otherwise GG.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:31 pm
PupSage

Man, Kuori's been such a downer ever since multiclassing* into Cleric. neutral

But no metagaming! Sehanine is about discretion, but paladin oaths prevent flight when others might otherwise be hurt! TO BATTLE!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 am
Psychofish
((Wonky as it seems, reading the rules I seem to be able to aid another to boost Irene's defenses even if I'm not adjacent to her, as long as I'm attacking the thing I'm defending her from- if that's not kosher, we can switch this up to moving adjacent to Ruin and buffing his defenses instead.))

The action you are trying to do is called aid defense and here are the rules:

Aid Defense

A creature can try to protect an ally against an enemy. This action represents a parry, a shield block, or some other action that makes it harder for the enemy to hit the ally.

Aid an Ally’s Defenses
Action: Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses an enemy adjacent to it.
Grant Bonus to Defenses: The creature chooses an ally. That ally gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against the chosen enemy’s next attack against it. This bonus ends if it is not used by the end of the aiding creature’s next turn. A creature can take the aid defense action only once to affect a particular ally’s defenses. (I'm ruling this means once a round) However, up to four creatures can take the action to affect the same ally’s defenses.

So there is no check or attack involved. You just designate the creature you are using Aid Defense against and who you are granting the +2 defense to. However, with a nice role like that you might want to try and hit Purple Worm with an attack power instead, as Aid Defense consumes your standard action.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:07 am
PupSage
Rain Yupa

Pupsage knows that it has 300+ hp, a high ac, a +21 to hit, a CR about 10 level ahead of us and is essentially going to TPK us if we don't run.

That or Kow is just trying to show off his new NPC ... but otherwise GG.

I think it would be safe to assume I am not throwing the lvl 17 adult purple worm out of the monster manual at you. That being said, lets try not to metagame. Though, If you want to try and flee that is always an option in any battle.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 am
Yeah, before errata it required a roll against DC 10 and was just an option for aid another, I was assuming the updates to standard aid another DC carried over. Rounded up to be conservative as well, since I didn't recall how 4e handled rounding.

That said if it's your advice, I can swap that for a Weight of Earth and bodyguard more aggressively. Doesn't feel right to swap to anything but an atwill since it's post roll.

I'll roll for damage, but updating my IC post probably not happening until after work.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm
Kowsauni
The worm continues to clamp its jaws down on Ruin (12 Damage) despite being burn by both the warlock and the paladin.

Quote:
Martyr's Blessing
Divine
Immediate Interrupt
Close Burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack.
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead.

Does Ruin count as 'adjacent' while in the creature's mouth? Asking for a friend.

User Image  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Rain Yupa
Kowsauni
The worm continues to clamp its jaws down on Ruin (12 Damage) despite being burn by both the warlock and the paladin.

Quote:
Martyr's Blessing
Divine
Immediate Interrupt
Close Burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack.
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead.

Does Ruin count as 'adjacent' while in the creature's mouth? Asking for a friend.

User Image

In this particular situation I am going to rule no since the attack the creature did can only be done if the target is grabbed. If the power was used during the initial bite attack though it would work.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Beast of a Thousand Knives:
Crit fail attacks: 0 (though plenty of 2's and 4's)
Crit success attacks: 0 (technically 1, wasted on an intimidate roll that everyone ignored.)

Heart of a Monster:
Crit fail attacks: 2
Crit success attacks: 1 (on a minion)

Glimmers of a Dark:
Crit fail attacks: 2
Crit success attacks: 0

It's still not that one-shot Arc Vembris ran where a full 1/3 of my rolls were nat 1's, but I'm getting there.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm
Quote:
The beast seemed oblivious of him. And while Abby would definitely approve, it seems like Ruin did not share that sentiment.
Not true... It is dying he isn't a fan of. The fact Revenge is safe he is cool with xd  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 am
Southern Cross Nemesis

Sorry, giving it -4 to hit you (mark + AW) is the best I could do to try and prevent this sad  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 pm
It is alright... It is kind of funny, in that I tried to plan for multiple enemies encounters and never gave a thought to a solo/elite. And it is the single worm that forced a Death Saving Throw. xd

So now I bank on a Nat20 or for you guys to kill it before my 3rd roll. sweatdrop

Edit; Ether way, I guess it would be a good idea to start on Ruin's replacement(sans a save).  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 pm
Might be the time to start spending those action points for extra attacks, especially while its AC is lowered.  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm
So even though I cant see him, if I use a power that targets each bloodied ally in the burst could I heal Ruin?  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 117 118 119 120 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games