Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Dungeons and Dragons, what editions have you played?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:58 pm
I'm curious and would like a bit of it satiated, so if you would indulge me, I would be appreciative.

What editions of DnD have people played, and how would you thus compare and describe them?

Myself, to lead, have played 2e ADnD, 3.5e, Pathfinder, and 4e.

3.5 was my first forray into the system, like most. It was fun for awhile and every now and then I keep thinking of wanting to play more with odd ideas, but alas, it then runs into issues. Levels are everything and casters reign supreme. There are no real checks and balances to give anything else a real role later levels, as those with full BAB can just magic the problem away.

Pathfinder came next, continuing the 3.5 experience, with some improvements and some thought of balance. But it still was caster supremacy later on for me.

4e was... well, odd. There's a lot of focus on balance (and I do need to play more to truly better my understanding of the game) but it felt... too 'let's turn DnD into an MMO' that, funny enough, the actual DnD MMOs avoided the similar system.

2e ADnD. Now, here's my preferred edition. But this is due to how it's felt to me comparatively. With most GMs removing level limits and a bit more freedom in race/class choices of later ones, plus avoiding Gygaxian methods (dude hated his players), it's felt the most free to me for choosing what I am able to do. No feats or skills were needed to do things, just thinking it out, planning, and roleplay (and some roles that your GM should request). It was a lot more deadly, and each class had it's own leveling chart (mages leveled slower than fighters, but this was to balance MAGIC and give fighters a job), clerics leveled faster than fighters, but they couldn't CoDzilla as easily or much at all. Stats were important, but you could play a perfectly fine mage with 14 int.

Right, stopping there before I ramble and go on and on. So, tell me feelings on them all.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:31 pm
We first started with the many of the palladium books(Heroes, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts), then out of the blue one day we jumped to 2e, which I didn't really get a great first game experience and never got a second chance at the system. (doesn't mean I wouldn't like a second shot if given)

We the next session we switched up to 3e with 3.5 updates where possible. It aside from being caster favoring, it was an easy system to break into. And playing gave many possible builds and campaigns over the years(the countless books and web updates). Despite my favored classes DM's wanted to avoid like the plaque(Psionic Classes). Same experiences with Pathfinder.

Finally, 4e, I liked how balanced every class felt at the start, and didn't see how people compared it to MMO's.(given my only example of which at that time was Runescape.) The only issue I had, was how limited it was when multi-classing.  

Alzzak

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:42 pm
Yea. 3.5/Pathfinder/4e are good intros into TTRPGs. 2e does take a little more work due having to work out some basic math skills (THAC0 and such), and actual planning into big battles.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 pm
My true start to TTRPGs was a game we called "Paper Video Game". In short the storyteller gave each player their own scene. No dice, feats, skills; just their mind and how they wished their character to react in said scene.

As for 2e; more work, but if you understand the system, it wasn't that hard of work. Looking back at the mechanics, I think if we had a little more time to prepare and understand it might of became a useful and enjoyable system.  

Alzzak

Guy in a Gimp Suit

OG Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:57 pm
Played 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder; have books for d20 Modern, Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved, True20, Conan d20, and BESM d20.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 pm
Dabbled in 2e, started really playing with 3.0 when it first released and throughout the lifespan of 3.5. Dabbled in Pathfinder and 5e, but nothing concrete yet. Tons of 4e here but far less IRL.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 am
I'm actually surprised that two people have played 2e (because most avoid it like a plague due to THAC0). Rain, how's 5e work through? I've heard... stories that make it seem even more broken towards casters than 3.x, especially if you use the advanced guide with the hybrids and take that sorcerer/wizard one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm
Don't really post here anymore but, I'll throw my hat in to the conversation.

I started with AD&D first edition because it is what my father used to play in his Navy days and he had a set lying around. Didn't play much of it. I also played a little bit of AD&D second edition, once against cause of my father.

I skipped 3.0 pretty much completely, because by the time I got into D&D, 3.5 was already out.

I've played 4th Edition and really enjoyed it, but I understand why a lot dislike it.

I haven't tried out 5th edition at all.  

Saccharine Venom

Sugary Giver

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Hmm, you know, if I could find some, I would run some ADnD 2e premade adventures (like Temple of Elemental Evil), but we'll have to see.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:58 am
Holy crap where do i begin XD well i guess my first Paper RPG was AD&D but that was way before i knew anything about the game. my whole experience rests in D&D 3.5 but i have recently been delving into Edge of the empire Starwars RPG and WarMachines... war machines the RPG not the Table Top Strategy.

I have been offline for a while and i apologize for that. but i have missed gaia and im looking into getting back into it  

DeleteThisProfile2020

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items