Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
What is going to happen to Gaia?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deruma

Geared Seeker

10,000 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 pm
I'm new and within just the few days I have seen people a bit upset here and there, eh, it's worrying me...did I join just at the time of Gaia's Armageddon, so to say? What's going to happen to Gaia? emotion_8c  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:36 am
People have already been getting mad. Ever since gold generators came out with Flynn's Booty, people have been getting mad at the rapidly-growing economic disparity between rich and poor users.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Althea the Noble Seraph

Noble Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Moved from Welcome to Chatterbox.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:26 pm
Peops upset here and there- but some peops getting upset over something has been going on since I joined back in '08. Can't please all of the people all of the time, just in general. But now most peops are upset over the gold generators.  

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:46 am
I'm just going to back up Madam Chai's comment. This site started in Feb 2003. I've been here since March 2004... and users are always upset about something. Whether it be hating a new site layout, too much work done on something that doesn't need it, not enough work done on things that need it... There are always upset users about something or other. ^^ The site has also changed a lot over the years. You have to adapt to the changes or find a new forum to hang out on. Simple as that. Gaia has done well to be up and active for so long, I'll give them that.

What you're seeing is that we're going through a change. This horrible market inflation started about a year ago, but got worse around the beginning of 2014. Before that, we were in an era where people could generally afford to buy the things they wanted without spending money on this site. Now, we're in an era where the market is great for those who spend money and downright awful for those who don't. You see though, this is exactly what it was like when I first joined (and for the next few years). I had to post my butt off (only ways to earn gold were by posting and taking polls) to make enough gold each month to afford one monthly collectible. I couldn't even spare the gold to buy a 50g item here and there. Every little bit had to be saved up. (I eventually started spending cash on the site here and there.)

So, before this current market inflation, everyone on Gaia was generally happy (though still griping about one thing or another). Turns out, the company was in the dumps though. They weren't making enough to sustain the site. They had to bring in a new CEO. They had major layoffs. They soon instituted new policies. We got gold generators. We got cash shop updates daily. They went back on their word and resold Monthly Collectibles (they were never supposed to be re-released. Ever.)
But what did we get? A site that's still alive. A site that made enough money that it was able to hire new artists (and hire some of those who were laid off). .... And a bunch of angry users because policies changed. Yeah it sucks that I can't afford the newest, shiny items... but I feel like I'm back in my early years of Gaia. XD But the best thing is that the forums and everything that I like to do on Gaia is still here. I'm not happy with all of the new policies either, but it's still here.

(Gaia used to also be more open with information about what is being worked on, what's generally on the docket of things to do, how things are going... but new policy makes the staff pretty tight lipped. That's something else we're all adjusting to.)

Oops. XD I didn't mean to make it so long. I just wanted to say that you'll encounter a lot of users upset about something, whether it's big or little. As long as you're happy it's all good. Or, if you want to join those who are protesting, be sure to gather facts from all sides and form your opinions. ^^ I don't blame those who are unhappy~ but it doesn't necessarily mean that this site will shut down. Their goal is to try to keep it alive... whether their methods are good for the site is up to debate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:35 pm
sdrawkcab
[]

That was very well thought out ^.^ I don't think it was too long at all.  

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 pm
Madam Chai
sdrawkcab
[]

Ha, thanks!

I hate to see users upset, but I'm glad that they care about Gaia and are expressing their opinions on what they believe is good for Gaia/Gaians. The day we stop seeing that, then I'll worry. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:36 pm
sdrawkcab
Madam Chai
sdrawkcab
[]

Ha, thanks!

I hate to see users upset, but I'm glad that they care about Gaia and are expressing their opinions on what they believe is good for Gaia/Gaians. The day we stop seeing that, then I'll worry. ^^

^^ With some of the shenanigans Gaia has pulled, I can understand some users getting worried or upset with what's going on/ or is going to happen. But yes, its always good for everyone to be able to express their opinions. ^^  

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

Rouge Strike

Conservative Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:27 pm
There's a great deal of discomfort over the gold-rush, as it were, though to be quite fair there have been noticeable changes in Gaia's management...

If they started a actual Kickstarter for things like repairing zOMG, getting more content and making more co-op deals with other franchises, I'd support them openly without caring about items. Now, spending is really just a sign that you like what you see.
Not a good trend.  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff