Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
Dalcaria Reborn! (Accepting Profiles!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you interested in any of the roleplays below?
  Yes.
  No.
  Maybe.
View Results

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:59 am
User Image

Alright folks, so a bit of an OOC chat up thread I've got going on here. So, for those of you unfamiliar with Dalcaria, time to do some reading and more reading.

I'm looking to start another roleplay in everybody's favorite semi-Fascist, minimalist-Victorian-Steampunk world! And I'm seriously hoping you people are interested in this, because I've become virtually obsessed with this world I've created, and I'd be really sad if the culmination of years of creativity was overlooked by people! Plus, I'd go even more crazy than I already am!

So, here is kind of what I'm proposing, a couple of ideas to consider, and I'm going to do it in order of time periods.

1) Pre-Empire Dalcaria: The story takes place a few thousand years before the creation of the Empire. This is very much an EARLY medieval/Roman/Druidic style roleplay set at a time when Tavastia (the capital province of Dalcaria) didn't even exist, so in case you don't know, that's a LONG time ago for these people! There will be monsters, legionaries, and barbarians galore!

2) Unification of the Empire: Set in the days of when the Empire was being united by the Clarion royal family. Kind of obvious how this ends, but it's a tale of war, of heroes, and of a land united together! Also set in a medieval era, but with knights and such, no Roman legionaries sorry to say.

3) The great demon war: Set when the war against the Demons was. This is a very primitive steampunk type tale, set in the early days of steam technology. Best description I can give you to describe it is American Revolution era, complete with Dalcaria's own version of Red Coats! War, fancy dress, Inquisitors, and the first Royal Guards of Queen Jessamine Clarion herself!

4) The Dictators: Dalcaria's civil war. A brutal time period, very much like Dishonored mixed with WW2 mixed with game of thrones. The one problem here is the vast amount of factions you'll have to fight.

5) The Inquisitors: Already did this one and it slowed to a stop sadly. Open to trying again, but we'll see. The information on this one is in the OOC above.

6) The Kings: Spoiler alert, Grand Chancellor James Tiberius Byron Bond had a son who also became Grand Chancellor, and then he had a son who became Grand Chancellor as well! However, James #1's Grandson doesn't stay Grand Chancellor for much longer than a few sentences as members of parliament come to him with a plea from the people. No one can sit upon the throne of Dalcaria as King or Queen unless they are of the Clarion family, so the people ask him to sit on the throne as Dalcaria's first Emperor. He accepts, and not long after (a few weeks say) Dalcaria is faced with another war. An enemy from the past seeks to conquer the throne of Dalcaria and sit upon it as King, and he's bringing an army to do it.

7) The Oppressors: Emperor James just finished wiping up the mess of the last idea only to have what happen? Ambracia goose step their racist rumps into Dalcaria and take over as horrid oppressors. Everyone thinks the Emperor is dead, innocent men, women, and children are being executed to "purify" Dalcaria of the non-Ambracian inhabitants, and the only slice of land that still belongs to Dalcaria is the Lishundan Isles. Can Dalcaria survive this? For the record, this is a very rebellion heavy tale, in case you didn't already guess.

Well, those are all my ideas for now! Let me know what you think, and hopefully we'll work something out.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:11 am
The chances of me actually going through the guild for once and finding this is phenomenal lol I'm so in if you can get it up and running again.The Pre-Empire Dalcaria kinda caught my interest simply because of Aydan's role is the last one.Thinking maybe I could create an ancestor of hers or something.  

The Lady Reaper

Surefire Alchemist

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 am
The Lady Reaper
The chances of me actually going through the guild for once and finding this is phenomenal lol I'm so in if you can get it up and running again.The Pre-Empire Dalcaria kinda caught my interest simply because of Aydan's role is the last one.Thinking maybe I could create an ancestor of hers or something.

I'm glad you caught it! I was thinking about maybe messaging you, but I wasn't sure if you were busy in the Gaia forums or not. But I'm stoked you found it after all! blaugh That certainly would be one to look at though, the Tavastia area is going to be a lot like Rome if you will, but Whitehaven will be more like Roman era Scotland. The Provinces more to the West will end up being somewhat like Druid and mage provinces, the central provinces will be probably along the lines of Knights and Battle mages, and the Southern Provinces will be men of the sea, trying to think of how to get them a cool way of fighting. Also, Kraigdarroch (I must have spelled that wrong, but I can't remember XD) will be kind of like a "Dwarven" territory based on their knowledge of armor making, but they'll be more like Scots, Britons, or the ancient Irish in terms of culture and such, though I suspect more like the Scots. I also thought it would fit Aydan pretty well too, so I'm glad it caught your interest!

Also worth noting, this is a time when Dalcaria was far from being civilized, so beasts and monsters will be virtually everywhere, even perhaps a giant or two! For reference, I got inspired to do this idea by having watched a movie on Beowulf, the one they did that was CG.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 am
Lord Sithious

lol I've been jumping around a bit, trying to find things to keep my occupied now that I've graduated and got a degree.Basically I've got nothing to do until spring when the landscaping business start hiring again.

Ooooo Roman Era Scotland...You no idea how much I'm fan girdling right now lol.I did my final paper on my family genealogy and was able to trace my line back to the Clan Fraser of Lovat and Clan Baer in Scotland, so I'm pretty familiar was quite a few of the time periods at this point, to some degree or another.But if Whitehaven is going to be the 'Scotland' of Dalcaria you'll probably want Kraigdarroch to be more like the Irish or Brits simply for the diversity.Also, may add a bit of tension between the two with the armor making and such.The Scots were by no means godlike with armor, but their weapons weren't things to be trifled with.

I was thinking of using Aydan, but she's what, five generations into the future?I was thinking maybe to give an insight into her family so it would add up to why she was the was she was in the Inquisitors.Like with her gifts and things, also with the lycanthropy (Spoiler: wasn't just cause she was bitten).

I noticed that and you had to pick the absolute worst movie to base it on lol.The actual book is better.The movie rendition did absolutely nothing for properly portraying Beowulf.  

The Lady Reaper

Surefire Alchemist

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:08 am
The Lady Reaper
Lord Sithious

lol I've been jumping around a bit, trying to find things to keep my occupied now that I've graduated and got a degree.Basically I've got nothing to do until spring when the landscaping business start hiring again.

Ooooo Roman Era Scotland...You no idea how much I'm fan girdling right now lol.I did my final paper on my family genealogy and was able to trace my line back to the Clan Fraiser and Clan Baer in Scotland, so I'm pretty familiar was quite a few of the time periods at this point, to some degree or another.But if Whitehaven is going to be the 'Scotland' of Dalcaria you'll probably want Kraigdarroch to be more like the Irish or Brits simply for the diversity.Also, may add a bit of tension between the two with the armor making and such.The Scots were by no means godlike with armor, but their weapons weren't things to be trifled with.

I was thinking of using Aydan, but she's what, five generations into the future?I was thinking maybe to give an insight into her family so it would add up to why she was the was she was in the Inquisitors.Like with her gifts and things, also with the lycanthropy (Spoiler: wasn't just cause she was bitten).

I noticed that and you had to pick the absolute worst movie to base it on lol.The actual book is better.The movie rendition did absolutely nothing for properly portraying Beowulf.

WHA! You graduated already!?!? Well, I'm still needing to finish my courses to get into uni, but I'm close to being finished. However, I still need something to do in my spare time it feels like. So you're getting into the landscaping business?

Very cool! I should check on my family genealogies sometime too. I believe my family worked under Clan Buchanan (think that's how you spell it), and I believe they fought for Robert the Bruce (ironically since I'm more proud of Great Britain). Well, I'm thinking Kraigdarroch will be a sort of "sect" of Scots if you will, like one branch off of the larger family. I'm thinking the furthest West provinces will be kind of like the Irish (possibly Druids in terms of style, if you will). I do think I'm going to allow Whitehaven to have more access to armor though, somewhat similar to the Norse (the Northern provinces are like a Scot/Irish/Norse hybrid, though more to the Scot side), but it will be much more limited compared to the people in Kraighdarroch, they're pretty much the masters of armor!

Ah, actually might be more than 5 generations. sweatdrop Keep in mind, the Empire is almost 1500 years old, and the story may take place 1000 years before the Empire was even created, so what is that, almost 75 generations? rofl That would be a LOOOOONG time to live! xp But yeah, I like the sounds of that! This also might give me a chance to fill out some legends and background info for other creatures and enemies in the empire. In fact, my main good guy character in this will be VERY important to the story, though let's just say his importance comes much further in the future. wink

Yeah, I do believe I recall it being pretty off the original story (from what I remembered reading of the legend, we studied it in literature), but what mostly appealed to me about the movie was the art style and the action. It painted a picture (albeit it an inaccurate one) of Beowulf that was more tangible for me, so I took the artsy stuff and threw it into my story with some other historical influences to really make the mix work.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 am
Lord Sithious

Lol yeah, I was already out of high school.I just had to finish tech.So I'm all set to go.Hoping but not sure if I'll be able to unless we get the chance to move somewhere that needs landscapers year round.

Lmfao my family wasn't exactly on kind terms with any of the Brits.It was actually kinda sand really, seeing as the other part of my family is Welsh and they got on really well with them.Ah, okay, that makes a little more sense.Lol no real need for Whitehaven to have more access to more armor, if you want to try and keep it authentic razz The scots used to go into battle with the bare minimum of clothing, or totally naked to provide better movement and intimidate their foe.Nothing like a giant hairy naked Scotsman comin at ye with a blade and screaming bloody murder,

Ah, that's right...I forgot how old the empire was, and probably not quite 75.The average age for a man to live bake then was between 40 and 70, for a woman it was a bit longer.So maybe half that amount, but either way, it's friggin old lol.That sounds like a plan, and aim guessing you OC will have to do with the Clarion family or with James from the inquisitors.

Ah, gotcha.Still think the movie is a horrid rendition though.  

The Lady Reaper

Surefire Alchemist

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 am
The Lady Reaper
Lord Sithious

Lol yeah, I was already out of high school.I just had to finish tech.So I'm all set to go.Hoping but not sure if I'll be able to unless we get the chance to move somewhere that needs landscapers year round.

Lmfao my family wasn't exactly on kind terms with any of the Brits.It was actually kinda sand really, seeing as the other part of my family is Welsh and they got on really well with them.Ah, okay, that makes a little more sense.Lol no real need for Whitehaven to have more access to more armor, if you want to try and keep it authentic razz The scots used to go into battle with the bare minimum of clothing, or totally naked to provide better movement and intimidate their foe.Nothing like a giant hairy naked Scotsman comin at ye with a blade and screaming bloody murder,

Ah, that's right...I forgot how old the empire was, and probably not quite 75.The average age for a man to live bake then was between 40 and 70, for a woman it was a bit longer.So maybe half that amount, but either way, it's friggin old lol.That sounds like a plan, and aim guessing you OC will have to do with the Clarion family or with James from the inquisitors.

Ah, gotcha.Still think the movie is a horrid rendition though.

Ah, I see! Well you could always try looking out of town as well, try and do as much landscaping during the good seasons to make up for not being able to landscape in winter, not sure if that would work better or not, but it's a thought.

Yeah, seems to be the same case for me. xd Scots fighting the English on one side, English doing whatever my English family did on the other side, and then the French were doing who knows what before they decided to throw themselves into the mix. xd Well I'm not trying to make them exact to the Scots, I want all the "races" of Dalcaria to be like their real world counter-parts, but to have my own flair to them. For most Whitehavenans, it'll be more minimalist armor (bits of chain mail here and there, some shoulder pauldrons, and maybe a chest plate), but probably nothing too serious. Weapons and movement are more there thing. But yeah, I'm going to try and avoid the totally naked bit for this for obvious reasons and then the fact that that kills the heroic mood for me in some ways. rofl I don't usually think of hairy nude men as heroic, personally saying. xp

Yeah, I'm not sure myself. I just averaged it at 3 generations per century, times 25 centuries. My math may be horribly off, but that's just my rough guess. But yeah, we're OLD, especially if you compare it to Earth standards! Ah yes, my character is going to be an interesting one to go with. 3nodding You see, this story takes place when the Clarion family didn't rule much more than a few properties. Tavastia itself is jumble of small kingdom's, but the most important is the Kingdom of Durelieus (I'm sure you can guess where that is if you remember the locations at all). That said though, this story will be setting the ground work for the Clarion's, so yes, you will get to see a bit of that. wink Sadly for James, his family hasn't even made it to Dalcaria yet. That won't be for another 1500 years, give or take. They arrive a few hundred years after the Empire was already built, so they're late comers.

Yeah, fair point. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:09 am
Lord Sithious

True, and I do have work, but it's only part time for now, so I've got a lot of free time right now.

Lol I've got Scots on one side, Irish on another, Welsh beside them and then a German Native American mix,So I'm kind of screwed any way you look at it.I figured, but you've gotta give some credit for going as minimum as possible given their climate lol.I mean remember how the others reacted when they first met my OC Aydan?And decent weapons is a given, being who your basing them off of.And I know :p But aim just saying, if you want to stick to actual fighting styles, that's how it went. Lmfao I don't find it heroic eyes, intimidating and bit awkward, perhaps a little stupid, but whatever works.

I know your math is horrible lol, I helped you out a few times with the last RP on that matter remember :p Either way, we'll just say it's a very very old ancestor.Ah....it's vaguely familiar lol, I'll have to read through again to jog my memory.But it definitely isn't Queen Jessimine since that's a couple hundred years into the future.  

The Lady Reaper

Surefire Alchemist

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 am
The Lady Reaper
Lord Sithious

True, and I do have work, but it's only part time for now, so I've got a lot of free time right now.

Lol I've got Scots on one side, Irish on another, Welsh beside them and then a German Native American mix,So I'm kind of screwed any way you look at it.I figured, but you've gotta give some credit for going as minimum as possible given their climate lol.I mean remember how the others reacted when they first met my OC Aydan?And decent weapons is a given, being who your basing them off of.And I know :p But aim just saying, if you want to stick to actual fighting styles, that's how it went. Lmfao I don't find it heroic eyes, intimidating and bit awkward, perhaps a little stupid, but whatever works.

I know your math is horrible lol, I helped you out a few times with the last RP on that matter remember :p Either way, we'll just say it's a very very old ancestor.Ah....it's vaguely familiar lol, I'll have to read through again to jog my memory.But it definitely isn't Queen Jessimine since that's a couple hundred years into the future.

Ah, I see. Well, that's good, but I do hope more work comes your way!

xd Yeah, my family line is a little more clear cut I think. Very true, and on that note yes, the reactions to Aydan were certainly interesting, though I suspect if you're doing a female character again, you may want to put on a degree of clothing. rofl Oh yes, no doubt. Actually, now that you mention it, one of their more famous weapon's makes it into the hands of one of my characters! 3nodding Certainly, and the people of Whitehaven will definitely do that, but I'm going to allow them to have armor too, but in smaller amounts than the other regions. Compared to the Western provinces though, they get even more. Those people typically just go with robes and magic. xp Well I suppose it must have worked to some degree! I know I would have gotten killed if I was fighting against that! xd

Yeah, I think I do remember something like that. xd And fair enough, this is at a time when they had a totally different calender year from us too (since our years in modern Dalcaria are based off of the age of the Empire). Yeah, Durelieus is the capital city of Tavastia and the Empire (Tavastia being the capital province). However, in this roleplay not even Tavastia exists (for the record, it did exist when the Empire was being united, and for a few hundred years before that too, but this is before Tavastia united). And you're correct, Queen Jessamine was around for the steam era and the Demon war. This will be a new character to the story, but still a Clarion.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:20 pm
Bump. Still needing more people to catch interest folks! This is a land where you will get to carve out your own adventures, and even your own legends by the time you're done! For Dalcaria isn't just a story, it's a universe, and all the people within it help to guide it down a path, the path of the greatest story ever told; history! Wait... That was an unintentional pun wasn't it? Well even more reason to join! 3nodding  

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:50 pm
By the way folks, for the roleplay I suggested for the great demon war, Dalcaria is also semi-sorta at war with another country called Pays, a smaller island nation that strongly mimics a mix of France, Italy, and the Venetian Republic. They're a kingdom full of the romantic style you would expect from France and Italy, but they have a hunger for an empire of business like the Venetians. They aren't nearly as powerful as Dalcaria in trade, but you better believe they'll put up a fight!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm
Oh, and here are some character skellies! I figure you folks might want to play around with things, so here you are! It's a bit outdated, but it will serve as a good starting point to play around with characters. Please post any you create here, even if you aren't sure about using them, it will give people more ideas to work off of and will help encourage more creativity! 3nodding

Username:
Name:
Race/Nationality/Species: (Talk to me if your character is a foreigner and/or isn't a human.)
Orientation:
Personality:

Rank: (political, military, social, financial. Dalcaria is a fairly free country when it comes to many things, including finances, so it's very easy to be very wealthy and not a nobleman or woman, just so you are aware. You also don't have to be of noble blood to be in the military or certain political aspects of the nation, and it is possible to "purchase" someone else's noble title, giving you the political power they may have had. Of course, the noble needs to be willing to sell it. Please do not include anything within these brackets when you are posting your own character, just give the rank.)
Education: (Kind of a last second thought on my part. XD Access to education isn't impossible, even for poorer persons and foreigners. Of course, being a rich Dalcarian noble doesn't exactly guarantee you had a good education either, it depends solely on what the character is like and what they had access to.)

Factions: (Groups you are or were working for or with, can include old groups that no longer exist. I'll give a rundown of the factions at some point soon as well.)

Religion/Philosophy: (Lack of religion, ie. Atheist or agnostic, is also accepted here.)
Political Ideals: (Optional. If your character supports one political group/idea or another, you can mention it here. Talk to me if you want to know a little about which sides you may want to choose.)

Biography:

Skills: (The stuff you're good at. This could be cooking, fighting, driving, or even something more brainy like chemistry if you like.)

Transportation: (Cars, horses, etc.)
Home: (Your house, city, and province that you live in for the most part. If you need names for places and descriptions of them, let me know and I'll give you a rundown)

Weapons:
Clothing/Armor:
Powers: (Magic and what have you)

Picture: (Of your character)
Theme Song: (Also optional?)

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:48 am
Bump! whee  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 pm
BUMP! Come on folks! I need your help in making this thing live! At least read a little of it and tell me what you think!  

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Sithious

Dangerous Businessman

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 pm
Oh, two other things folks! One; I have plans drawn up for a Sci-fi roleplay if anyone is interested, two in fact, both taking place in the far future (so space ships, new planets to colonize, and space marines! Everyone loves space marines!). Two; if anyone is interested in H.P. Lovecraft, hit me up about it, because I may have the means to do a Lovecraftian inspired tale right here in Dalcaria! It won't be exact to Mr. Lovecraft's work, just very heavily influenced by it. And on that note, also got plans for potential horror rp's in the future, but they will be "short" ones, and when I say short, I don't mean they'll actually be short, just that they will have a definite ending, whereas you could (essentially) keep going with Dalcaria forever, and ever, and ever.

Food for thought though! Just please give a nibble! xp  
U/C

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces