Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Kickstarter RPG - Wield - Recruitment (Special Invite Only!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 pm
Today, I got a book in the mail from one of the kickstarter projects I backed, called Wield. I'll rewrite the back cover of the book, which you can consider a plot synopsis:

Quote:
A fantasy roleplaying game where you play an ancient, powerful weapon and the heroes you wield are disposable hit points.

You are an ancient and powerful magical artifact...
... and those who wield you believe themselves heroes...
...but they are nothing more than disposable pawns.

Who was the wielder, Elric or Stormbringer?
Did anyone ever really master Sauron's One Ring? Or was it the master of all who carried it?
Orna, the sword of Tethra, tells the hero picks it up the stories of all its murders... thousands upon thousands...
Claíomh Solais, the Sword of Irish Kings, always seemed to have its own agenda, regardless of who held it..

Tales of "willful weapons" are rife in fantasy literature, and now, here is your chance to play one.

The premise is this: You are a powerful, ancient artifact with an agenda of your own. You have lived for ages, whereas the humans who wield you have flickered in and out like a candleflame in the wind. However, being a vatcha, you have incredible power - but you are unable to use any of it. Instead, you can grant it to whomever wields you, but at the cost of you losing your control over them if you give them too much of your power.

You are also a 'hero', a person with a great destiny before you, chosen from the moment of your birth. Up until now, little headway has been made to achieving that destiny, if you're even aware of it at all. However, the day you got your hands on this neat little artifact, everything changed.

You do not play both. Everyone plays two characters: A vatcha, and a hero, but as a hero you will wield someone else's vatcha.

In a way, it's more of a race than anything else. Every vatcha has an agenda or objective of their own (you decide), and you, as a player, are trying to accomplish that agenda. Sometimes goals might be shared between other vatcha, but not often. The hero who wields you is a means to an end, to be discarded when they are no longer of any use to you.

As the character of "Fate", I'm effectively the Storyteller here, controlling NPCs. I also generate heroes who are randomly dealt to each of you, and they are re-dealt once one hero dies.

While there are PVP mechanics, this is not a PVP game by design. As players, you are not enemies with each other. You are just different people with different goals.

Signing up

There will be 6 spots available for this game. However, who is allowed to sign up is dependent on something: You must be a player in Under Siege, or Hell or High Water, my other 2 games I just started. As of the time I am writing this, there is one more slot in Under Siege still available.

Alternatively, you can gift your slot to someone else, but it has to come from that player's lips, not the recipient. If all 6 slots don't fill, then we'll run with less than 6. I'm going to have to insist on 3 minimum, however.

Feel free to ask any questions, as well as declare your official interest!

• 1) Kowsauni = CONFIRMED
  • 2)
  • 3) Cecilia Davidson = CONFIRMED
  • 4) Paidi tou Selini = CONFIRMED
  • 5) Psychofish = Con...fiiiirrrrrmmm...eeeddd?
  • 6) Plainsfox = CONFIRMED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:12 pm
And the official role call!

Kowsauni

glitterboypilot

Cecilia Davidson

Paidi tou Selini

Psychofish

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 pm
oh i am so ******** down for being a weapon >:U  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm
Cecilia Davidson

AND the wielder of someone else's weapon!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:32 pm
Rain Yupa
Cecilia Davidson

AND the wielder of someone else's weapon!
kinky emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 pm
Heh, I was just designing an intelligent weapon character too, for a different game. I'll give this a shot, though, my weapon is going to care about it's wielder.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 pm
Wielding someone else's weapon sounds pretty vanilla to me.

Count me in!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:42 pm
We need more weapon welding and sheath themed jokes, stat.

I'm definitely interested, and tentatively in. No opinion on my fleshy bits or metal bits preferances yet.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:43 pm
I would like to, but I need to keep my game limit light for right now. So, in the sake of time and such, I will have to decline.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm
And the last slot goes to:
Plainsfox

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:53 pm
This one sounds really interesting, Rain.
*tosses his hat into the ring*  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:19 pm
Plainsfox
This one sounds really interesting, Rain.
*tosses his hat into the ring*

Wait, so are you being a hat, or a ring? neutral  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:01 pm
I believe that option is up to you, good sir.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:07 pm
VATCHA CREATION

Aka, Character creation. It's a 7-step process, the last step I take care of (giving you someone to wield you!) Any references to Fate, means me. Fate is the GM for Wield.

• STEP 1: Choosing an Item
    Choose what kind of vatcha you are. I can provide sample items, but feel free to make up your own, within reason. The setting is fantasy, but it's a low-magic fantasy (think Lord of the Rings, not Dungeons & Dragons). Like, most people will go their whole lives without seeing magic once. Most of the time though, any "magic" witnessed was probably a vatcha.

Fate has no restrictions on the kinds of items you may be, as long as it's appropriate.

• STEP 2: Choose one to three Domains.
    A Domain is a source of power that you control, and influences what kind of powers you can give your hero. There are 12 given in the book, but if someone's extremely gung-ho about something new, it'll take me a bit to make and balance it.

The list: Air, Animal, Creation, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Earth, Fire, Life, Light, Plant, Water.

So if one of you ever chose Air and Fire, all you could ever bestow is Air and Fire powers. But with limited number of powers to bestow, you could never bestow the full powers of one without giving up on the powers of the other.

Each Domain has 10 powers, ranked 1-10 (increasing in power). Let me know if you need to know your powers immediately, otherwise I'll type them out when everyone's set.

• STEP 3: Choose a Goal, and Steps.
    Every one of you will have a long-term Goal, that you've been working at for centuries, if not longer. Each Goal has four Steps that will lead you to accomplishing it. The four in the book are Kill X God, Find the True Ruler of X Kingdom, Get Revenge on X, or Destroy the X Vatcha (one of your fellow players). I'll list the steps of the first, to give you an example of what to write:
    1.) Find X Ritual, 2.) Find Y person with Z Trait, 3.) Find X God's weakness, and 4.) Bind the God with X Ritual using Y Person.

Fate permits goals beyond these four, but they must be worthwhile and hard to accomplish.

• STEP 4: Histories and Connections
    Everyone writes down a connection their vatcha has to each other. These are connections vatcha have to one another, not to any humans or heroes. Everyone should be connected to everyone else in some way. The connections can be anything.

• STEP 5: How are you Destroyed?
    You aren't invincible (but to most mortals, you might as well be). You CAN be destroyed,but only a certain wait. It can't be impossible, but it shouldn't be too easy either. The book writes, "Not easy, not impossible... just epic."

• STEP 6: Choose a Name.
    What it says on the tin.

• STEP 7: Gain a Hero and Set Control (PENDING!)
    After all this is done, you will be given a hero by me, Fate. Once you have a hero, you may bestow as many powers as you like, up to a certain limit, to that hero. However, the most powers you grant, the easier it is for them to control you.

Whenever a hero and vatcha conflict on what they want to happen, each rolls Control vs it, which is a pool of 10 dice. If the Vatcha bestows no powers, they have all 10 dice, the hero has none. If the Vatcha maxes out the powers, it's the opposite.

It's a pyramid like so:
    1□
    2□□
    3□□□
    4□□□□
    5□□□□□
    6□□□□□□
    7□□□□□□□
    8□□□□□□□□
    9□□□□□□□□□
    0□□□□□□□□□□
    If you give someone a level 4 power, mark off 4 boxes. Since ranks 1 and 2 are filled out completely, the wielder has 2 ranks (dice) of control, the vatcha has 8.

At 5 ranks or more of control, your hero learns how to destroy you.

------------------------------

It is HIGHLY recommended that you go through the steps one at a time together, as a group. Everyone should be done Step 1 before anyone does Step 2.

Also note, at the time of this posting, we have 4 definite players, 1 maybe player, and 1 slot that has not been filled out yet. You guys might want to wait until that final slot in Under Siege is filled and we know that player's feelings about this game before proceeding. I posted this so you guys know what to expect. Feel free to start discussing possibilities now, though!

Any questions you may have, I'll go ahead and answer now smile  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:36 pm
Also, just because the setting is low-fantasy, doesn't mean YOU are low-fantasy.

There are no wizards with powerful magicks that can level a city.

There are, however, vatcha with powerful magicks that can level a city.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff