Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
✂ Hair Cutting Item List/Guide ✄ -- Last upd. 8/16/14 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grab a bit of gold for passing through.
  Okay!
  Nah. (this option is a trick)
View Results

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am
User Image

Hair Cutting Item List/Guide
Post One

Welcome! Hi NSTG! I was going to just keep this in a journal entry for myself, but why not share?
(...This started out as a list exclusively for the NSTG. However, I've also made a copy of this thread in the main Gaia Guides and Resources Forum. I looked for lists for comparison to make sure that I wasn't missing any obvious items. I realized that we didn't currently have a thread that lists all of these scissor items. And I found tons of threads where people kept asking about which items exist.)

This is a list of items that cut or alter your avatar's hair. The posts contain links to the marketplace listing of the items.
It is also a mini guide that explains how each item works.
If this thread is missing any items, please let me know!

Index
  1. Intro (you are here)
  2. A general explanation of haircut items and of this guide
  3. Haircut items that remove layers
  4. Haircut items that act like cookie cutters
  5. Haircut items that also add an extra effect to the hair
  6. Haircut items that cut bangs only
  7. Haircut items that remain visible
  8. Hair extensions
  9. Other scissor items
  10. Misleading items that don't cut anything
  11. Quick list by name

A note; this guide is currently complete. I might add a couple more images eventually.
I plan to update this guide, however, this thread is more likely to be up to date.

Have any questions or comments about the guide? Please speak up. You can contact me by sending a PM or posting a comment in my profile. Or, quote me in this thread. Copy the code below, start a new reply, paste the code into your reply and write your comment. Using that code will send me a notification that there's a new post in this thread. Otherwise, your post might go unnoticed for a long time. (Unnoticed by me. I'm sure Daypaw will be on top of it.)

[quote="sdrawkcab"][/quote]

Also, as per this post, the Crewmember Contact of this subforum would love to help you out also! It's currently the wonderful Daypaw, but be sure to check that post and thread for all the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 am
Explanation
Post Two

This post contains some info about haircut items and about this guide. If you're already familiar with Gaia and haircut items, please use this guide as a list. Just scroll down the page for the item names.
This guide contains extra info for those who are new to Gaia and/or hair-cutting items.

What are haircut items?
    Did you ever like a Gaia hairstyle, but just wish you could lob off that darn ponytail? You're in luck!
    Items exist that "cut" your avatar's hair. This is not permanent. These items work just like other items in your dress up screen. They affect your avatar's hair while the item is equipped and do not take effect when they are removed.
    You must own (have) the item in your inventory in order to equip and wear it on your saved avatar.

These items work on hairs from the salon hairstyles and on wigs.
    Your avatar has a default hairstyle that remains on your avatar base even when no items are equipped. I refer to those hairstyles as salon hairstyles. You can change your hairstyle (or just look at them) at Salon Durem. These hairstyles are not items.
    There are items that can be equipped that change your avatar's hairstyle. I refer to these items as wigs. Wigs are items that can be equipped, removed and re-equipped. Many wigs can be found in the Gold Shops and in the Marketplace.

The haircut items affect hairstyles in different ways. Scroll down the page for a list of items and a blurb on what they do.

Why use haircut items?
    It's up to you! They're completely optional. Haircut items just allow you to have yet another way to customize the look of your avatar.

Upside:
    Love the color of a certain wig or hairstyle, but hate the shape? The haircut items might cut it into a style that you like.
    These items "multiply" the amount of hairstyles you own. Say you have 10 wig items. Now say you have a pair of scissors that cut all 10 wigs. You now have 20 different hairstyles to choose from.

Downside:
    Currently, most of the items listed in this guide come from the Cash Shop. They can be quite pricey.
    These items generally affect salon hairstyles and wigs. And, depending on how the haircut item works, it may possibly have no effect at all on certain hairstyles and wigs.

How can I use this guide?
    This guide provides a list of haircut items and some information on how those items affect hairstyles.
    The name of the item is listed in
    this color. The image to the left of the name is the main icon for that item. Click it to be sent to the marketplace listing for that item.
    The name of the pose that alters hair is listed in
    this color. The image to the left of the pose name is the icon of that pose. It is not clickable. That'd be redundant.
    Images are provided that show the haircut affect. The names of the example hairstyles are shown. The haircut item used will be denoted by the icon of the pose. You can click each image to see a larger view.
    Item prices are not listed since they fluctuate daily. Click the marketplace link to check costs. Be sure to check the graphs to see the average prices so that you can identify a good deal or an artificially inflated price.
    Some information is hidden in spoiler tags to keep posts neat and tidy. They're not literally spoilers. Click the spoiler tags for more info. Click the tags again to close them.

You don't show an image of how the item looks with my wig. What would it look like if cut?
    I will not make examples for every single salon hairstyle and wig. That would take forever and be a never ending battle. Fear not, you can preview the haircuts using the Marketplace or the Dress Up page. Don't know how? Click the spoiler below.

Have the wig equipped?
    Head to the marketplace and check it out. Search for the haircut item and click it.
    Click "Try It On."
    Your avatar will now appear. All of the poses in that item will appear below your avatar. Click on the pose you would like to preview.
    Click the buttons below your avatar for the options to: View just this item, View with saved items, View with dressup items, Front/Back view, and Play/Stop animation.
    View just this item - Preview that item as it would appear with no other equipped items. This is an excellent option for viewing haircut items with your salon hairstyle.
    View with saved items - Preview that item as it would appear with your current, saved avatar.
    View with dressup items - Preview that item as it would appear with your current avatar in your Dress Up page. This might be the same as your saved avatar. However, if you've started to make a new outfit and haven't saved it yet, your current unsaved avatar will appear here.
    Front/Back view - Preview this item as it would appear on the front side or back side of your avatar. I often have to click this button twice to get it to make the first turn.
    Play/Stop animation - Preview that item as it would appear while your items are animated. This option only takes effect if you have an animated item equipped or are previewing an animated item. Don't know what animated items are? Check out another guide. n .n But, hint, they usually have the word "astra" in their names.
    This should go without saying, but if you have the haircut item equipped and not the wig... just search and preview the wig.

Don't have the wig equipped and don't own the haircut item?
    It's probably faster to head to your Dress Up page to check it out.
    Equip your wig.
    Locate the search bar in the Dress Up screen. It's above the items. Type in the name of the haircut item. Click "All Gaia." Click "Search." The haircut item should now appear.
    Equip and preview the item. Note, any items found using this search method will not appear on your final saved avatar.
    Don't own the wig? Take these same steps to search for it also.

Can I use tektek to preview the cut wigs?
    Maybe.
    The Tektek site has a tool that helps people plan Gaia avatar outfits. The Tektek staff must individually prepare every Gaia item that is in the dream avatar tool.
    Currently, you can make dream avatars using wigs as they would appear if cut by Sainte Ciel: Agape. When choosing wigs, click the "SC Agape" option. Some salon hairs also have SC Agape alternatives. All hairstyles that depict SC Agape cuts have a pair of scissors on the image. Keep in mind that you'll also have to add the price of an SC Agape item to the total cost.

Some of the M's Sketchbook hairpin cuts look exactly like the SC Agape cuts. Compare both cuts on Gaia first to be sure. Use the SC Agape cut and pretend that the hairpins did it.

Tektek does not have previews for the other haircut items.

Can I equip multiple haircut items at the same time?
    Yep, with some fun results.
    If you do not own more than one haircut item, use the method explained above to preview the cuts in your Dress Up page. Looking it up with the marketplace preview won't work as well.
    Some possible hairstyles that use multiple haircut items are shown below.
    --- Pics of layered effects here ---

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:04 am
Layer Removers
Post Three

Some haircut items cut hair by removing specific layers off of the hairstyle. Hairstyles come in a variety of shapes and sizes so the final look will differ with each wig.
The outcome can make some hairs shorter and cut off ponytails. Some special wigs will even change color when these items are used.

User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape
    User Image Disciple of Sainte Ciel
        This item removes layers from wigs. Hair usually becomes shorter and ponytails may be removed.
        The scissors are there only for an icon placeholder. The scissors do not appear on your avatar. Some older wigs might not work well with this item. However, after its release, Gaia artists keep this item in mind when creating wigs. Newer wigs often look very nice with this item and sometimes even change color.
Alternate versions with the exact same effect:
The Ciel Agape item is not released often. The 1st and 2nd gens sold for 499 cash. The item became super popular as it was the first of its kind. When the 3rd gen was finally released, the price was upped to 999c. The 3rd gen does appear in the Cash Shop, rarely.
The item called Agape's Cut was released in the beginning of July 2014 as an exclusive item in the Cut Above the Rest bundle. (The bundle contained Hime Scissors, Summer Cut, and the Agape's Cut.) This item is the scissor pose from the Ciel Agape items without all the other poses. It's the exact same cut.

If you're only concerned with the haircut effect and not the poses, be sure to check the marketplace and buy the cheapest of these items. Other items that should be checked are the Saint Ciel items: first, second and third gens. These items cannot be equipped, but can be opened. You may pick your choice of either the Agape or the Eros variations. Pick Agape if you want the haircut. Eros does not contain a haircut pose.

User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape 2nd Gen.
User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape 3rd Gen.
User Image Agape's Cut

User Image User Image

User Image M's Sketchbook
    User Image Hairpins
        This item removes layers from wigs. Hair usually becomes shorter and ponytails may be removed.
        The barrettes are there only for an icon placeholder. The barrettes do not appear on your avatar. The cuts sometimes look just like the cuts from Ciel Agape, but will look different other times.
All of the following items also contain hairpins. Though the hairpins are different colors, they all affect hair the same way. So feel free to buy the cheapest one of these items if you're only concerned with the haircut effect. If you like the other poses, buy the item in the color(s) that you like.
User Image A's Sketchbook
User Image D's Sketchbook
User Image F's Sketchbook
User Image L's Sketchbook
User Image M's Sketchbook 2nd Gen.
User Image V's Sketchbook
User Image Z's Sketchbook

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:05 am
Cookie Cutter Items
Post Four

Some haircut items will shape items into a mold. It's as if a cookie cutter of a specific shape was used to cut out the hairstyle.

Unlike the items that remove layers, these items will consistently make the same shape (as long as there is hair to cut). You're stuck with that shape. However, if you like it, you have the ability to shape any wig you might dislike into the haircut that you do like.

Keep in mind that the shapes are outlined with a thin, gray line. This line does not disappear and is often noticeable on light hair. It is also noticeable when the outline is larger than the wig it's cutting. In those cases, the thin gray line appear to float above the head.

User Image Hoarfrost Pass: Centurion
    User Image Cicero's Discipline
        This item cuts hair into a very short, masculine hairstyle with sideburns.
Be sure to check the marketplace and buy the cheapest of these items. Other items that should be checked are the Hoarfrost Pass items: first and second gens. These items cannot be equipped, but can be opened. You may pick your choice of either the Centurion or the Northman variations. Pick Centurion if you want the haircut. Northman does not contain a haircut pose.
User Image Hoarfrost Pass: Centurion 2nd Gen.

User Image

User Image Summer Haircut
    User Image Summer Haircut (default pose)
        This item cuts hair into a short, spikey hairstyle.

User Image Short Bob
        This item cuts hair into a short, bobbed hairstyle.
Alternate versions with the exact same effect: None
User Image User Image  

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 am
Special Alterations
Post Five

These are items that cut hair in ways that don't just remove pixels of hair. The item itself does not remain on the avatar, but another effect is added.

User Image Sweetheart Schoolboy
    User Image Side Shave
        This item cuts a side shave into the hair. It chops off hair on one side of the avatar's head and leaves a greyish black patch of shaved hair. It also slightly trims the hair sitting above the shave.
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 am
Bang Cutter Items
Post Six

Items in this category cut only the bangs and no other part of the hair.
(I've heard that there are areas in the world that do not use the term "bangs." I'm referring to the fringes of hair in the forehead region.)

User Image Hime Bangs Haircut
    User Image Hime Bangs Haircut (default pose)
        This item shortens bangs to a length right above the top of the eye. It is most noticeable on hairstyles with long bangs. Many hairstyles have bangs that are too short to be affected.
        There are items that exist that are bangs that can be added to hairstyles. The Hime Bangs Haircut will also alter bang items.

User Image User Image  

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 am
Haircut Items that Remain Visible
Post Seven

These are some items that cut the hair in some way, but also remain visible when equipped. They have various effects.

These items are scattered about. Please tell me if you know of an item that's not listed here, but should be. Give the name of the item, generally what it does and/or the name of a wig that it alters.
Many hat items will trim hair so that the hair appears naturally from under the hat and not sprouting out of the hat's side. Please don't suggest those items unless the cut is unexpected.

User Image Altair's Honor
    User Image Accessorized Bun
        This item affects few wigs. Hair usually becomes shorter. The accessorized bun remains visible on the avatar's head.
User Image

User Image Black Jux Urban Jacket
    User Image Black Jux Urban Jacket (default pose)
        This item affects many wigs. Hair usually becomes shorter. While this makes sense for the Hood Up pose, this jacket cuts hair even when the hood is down. The jacket remains visible.
The ubran jux jackets have the same effect, but are, obviously, different colors.
These items are found in the Durem Depot (gold shop). The links below will send you to the marketplace listing for each item. If none are there or if they're priced above Store Price, be sure to click the "Available from: Durem Depot" link to be transported to the gold shop listing.

User Image Blue Jux Urban Jacket
User ImageBrown Jux Urban Jacket
User Image Green Jux Urban Jacket
User Image Orange Jux Urban Jacket
User Image Red Jux Urban Jacket

User Image

User Image Parcel Post
    User Image Jellybao
        This item affects few wigs. Ponytails on the avatars right side (as viewed in the dress up screen) are cut off. Part of the ponytail remains visible under the bao. The jellybao remains visible on the avatar's head.

All of the following items also contain jellybaos. Though the jellybaos are different colors, they all affect hair the same way. Buy the item in the color(s) that you like.

User Image Parcel Post 2nd Gen.
User Image Return to Sender

User Image User Image

User Image Red Gardening Bandana
    User Image Red Gardening Bandana (default pose)
        This item affects many wigs. Hair usually becomes shorter as if it is tucked away under the bandana. The bandana remains visible on the avatar's head.
The gardening bandanas have the same effect, but are, obviously, different colors.
These items are found in the Jock Strap (gold shop). The links below will send you to the marketplace listing for each item. If none are there or if they're priced above Store Price, be sure to click the "Available from: Jock Strap" link to be transported to the gold shop listing.

User Image Green Gardening Bandana
User Image Orange Gardening Bandana
User Image Purple Gardening Bandana

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:09 am
Hair Extensions
Post Eight

These items make the hair longer, not shorter. Why include them here?
I know, I know. But they're a sort of haircut since they chop off the bottom of the hair and then add the extensions. I'm currently not going to add bangs to this guide. I'll think about it, but they're are tons of bang items out there. And there are currently very few of these items.

User Image Attitude Alleycat
    User Image Hair Extensions
      This item adds black hair extensions.
User Image

User Image Azure Mystere
    User Image Long Hair
      This item adds light blue hair extensions.
User Image

User Image Umber Mystere
    User Image Long Hair
      This item adds light blond hair extensions.
User Image  

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 am
Other Items that Cut
Post Nine

These items don't cut my hair! Why include them here?
So sue me. At the moment, these special cutting items are few and far between. I might remove this section once this list grows large enough for its own guide. Until then, consider it a bonus.

The items in this "cut" equippable items in some way that alter the look of items.

User Image Attitude Alleycat
    User Image Shirt-ripping Scissors
        Just as the name suggests, this pose cuts shirts and dresses into a smaller tank top ish shirt. This item doesn't work on undershirt items.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 am
Not a Haircut
Post Ten

These items don't cut anything! Why include them here?
Some icons are misleading and do not have any cutting action. Explanations are given below the items as to why they've made this list.

User Image Custom Cut (default image)
      This item is only here because everything about it looks like it should cut items. Its main icon is a pair of scissors and it has the words custom and cut in its name. It is an item that contains clothing that is already cut for you.

User Image Custom Cut 2nd Gen.
User Image Custom Cut 3rd Gen.
User Image Custom Cut 4th Gen.

User Image Lethal Yandere (Violent Love)
      This item is only here because Gaians have come to associate scissors with items that cut stuff. This is a pair of scissors that can be held.

User Image Attitude Schoolboy (no pose)
      This item is only here because it has absolutely no item that looks like it can cut hair. It is a recolor of the Sweetheart Schoolboy. The Sweetheart Schoolboy has a pose that shaves the side of the head; the Attitude Schoolboy has no such pose.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 am
Quick List
Post Eleven

This post contains a quick list of the haircut items by name. Click the icons to go to the marketplace listing.

I might move this to the second post when I eventually feel like doing all of that tediousness.

A
User Image A's Sketchbook
User Image Agape's Cut

D
User Image D's Sketchbook

F
User Image F's Sketchbook

H
User Image Hime Bangs Haircut
User Image Hoarfrost Pass: Centurion
User Image Hoarfrost Pass: Centurion 2nd Gen.

L L
User Image L's Sketchbook

M
User Image M's Sketchbook
User Image M's Sketchbook 2nd Gen.

S
User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape
User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape 2nd Gen.
User Image Sainte Ciel: Agape 3rd Gen.
User Image Sweetheart Schoolboy
User Image Summer Haircut

V
User Image V's Sketchbook

Z
User Image Z's Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:15 am
Post 12 -- reserved

Special Mentions:

Here's a guide on items that "cut" skirts and pants.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-guides-and-resources/make-it-short-a-cutting-skirts-and-pants-item-list/t.92001765/

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100