Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Pathfinder Oriental Campaign [Now Accepting] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 am
So life threw me a curve ball but things are normalizing, and I want to get a game running. Pathfinder is my preferred system, and I've been having an itch to get something with an oriental theme going.

The Party:
Amarylli: Aria Inazo, Human Samurai and her steed, Rashomon
loth17: Vajira, Catfolk Ninja
Kowsauni: Takara Sasaki, Onikin Fighter
--
--

Starting Level: 5
EXP Track: Medium
Starting Gold: 10,500
Stats: 20 Point-buy or 4d6 for each stat, dropping the lowest roll
(I will allow a spectacularly bad set of rolled stats to switch to point-buy instead.)
HP: Max HP for first level, average HP every level after that

For the setting, I was planing on placing it in a kingdom called Jo Dai. The kingdom is ruled by an emperor, and is split into seven regions, ruled by individual lords, who help maintain order. The idea is just that right now, an idea, so I haven't gone into any great detail just yet.

Classes:
The paladin, cleric, and wizard don't really fit with the setting I have in mind. While I'm not outright banning them, I would encourage other selections to fit more with the flavor of the world. They could also be used to represent foreigners or travelers visiting Jo Dai.

The most thematically appropriate classes would be the samurai, ninja, monk, oracle (particularly with the ancestor mystery) and sorcerer. These classes are particularly steeped in oriental themes, and could be used to represent well trained individuals.

The barbarian, rogue, fighter, ranger, alchemist, and cavalier would be appropriate as well, probably representing commoners or lower class members from society.

The bard, druid, inquisitor, gunslinger, magus, summoner, and witch classes exist as well. They wouldn't be particularly common, but would be treated on a case by case bases. Bards would mostly specialize in drums or dance, gunslingers have primitive firearms, and summoner's eidolons would often take the shapes of oni, spirits, or ancestral warriors.

Races:
Humans, gnomes, and half-orcs would be most appropriate from the core races, with the half-orcs being descended from oni rather than orcs, called half-onikin. Gnomes would also be considered descendants from spirits as opposed to fey.

Also available will be tiefling (onikin), ratfolk (nezumi), tengu, kitsune, samsaran, vanara, vishkanya, and wayang.

Alignment:
As a more organized, feudal society, alignments as a whole would be leaning more towards the lawful end of the spectrum. Not to say that chaotic characters can't exist, they just aren't as likely.

Honor and Reputation:
Whether your character is honorable or dishonorable will be a sort of 'third alignment.' Are they brave, or cowardly? Are they trustworthy, or do they lie and break promises? Hard working, or swindlers and thieves? How you're seen in this light will be a big factor in how NPCs treat you.

Lineage and Family History:
Your family history will play a vital role in the game. I need to know some basics such as if your family was wealthy or poor, generally honorable or dishonorable. Is there a 'family profession' that a lot of your ancestors follow? Be it farmer, warrior, merchant, alchemist, etc. I would need to know the most famous (or infamous) ancestor your character has, and how they came to be known as such. After that, you can go into as much or little detail as you want. The more though the better, it gives me more ideas for plot hooks and side quests, and fleshes out your character's place in the world. Your lineage will play an important role in determining your ancestral arms.

Ancestral Arms:
Magic weapons and armor will be handled slightly differently. As opposed to buying specific magic weapons and armor, you will make offerings to shrines to improve your existing weapons and armor, as opposed to buying new ones. The spirits of your ancestors will grant power to the items, taking form in different types of bonuses depending on your characters alignment, temperament, and family history.

To go in a bit more detail in how this works, any magic or masterwork weapons and armor you start the game with will be 'ancestral arms,' items that have been handed down through generations of your family, and any weapons should preferably have a name which hints at its past exploits. Due to the spending limit on your gold, the highest you can start the game with is a +1 weapon, the bonus on which will cost 2,000gp. The cost of a weapon with a total bonus of +2 is 8,000gp, which is a 6,000gp difference. With this system, instead of buying new weapons as you level up, you'll upgrade your existing ancestral arms. You'll take the weapon and an offering to the temple (the offering having equal value to the cost needed for the next rank of magic) and you'll burn the offering at the temple and pray to your ancestors, who will then imbue the weapon with an appropriate magic bonus. What this bonus is, will be determined by your characters actions, and your family history. If you have a particular bonus you're wanting, you can notify me via PM and I'll happily give you that specific bonus. But otherwise, I would like for your choices in the game to determine your weapon's attributes. (For a monk, this system will apply to Amulets of Mighty Fists)

This same system will be used for armor as well. For characters that don't typically wear armor, like monks or spellcasters, I will also be giving Bracers of Armor the same treatment I've given the Amulet of Mighty Fists, so they too can benefit from a form of ancestral armor, if they wish.

Other magic items, such as rings, wondrous items, staves and such will be handled normally.

That's about all I've got at the moment. I'm writing this up sleep deprived, so if anything isn't clear I apologize. Right now I'm just trying to scope out some interest. If you have any other questions just let me know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 am
I'm in! I'll either play an Oni summoner or a Kitsune.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Winter Wondork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 am
Whoot. Gonna go straight for the tank, Samurai time. >:3

So how do we start getting our Stats Intent? Rolls or Point buy?

iLL iNTENT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 am
Amarylli

iLL iNTENT

Right, felt like I was forgoetting something, you'll have to forigve me, I haven't slept in 24 hours, you can do point buy if you like with 20 points to spend, or you can take a chance and roll 4d6 for each stat, dropping the lowest die on each roll.  

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

Winter Wondork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 am
iLL iNTENT
Amarylli

iLL iNTENT

Right, felt like I was forgoetting something, you'll have to forigve me, I haven't slept in 24 hours, you can do point buy if you like with 20 points to spend, or you can take a chance and roll 4d6 for each stat, dropping the lowest die on each roll.

Oh don't worry about it. I understand sleep deprivation .w. By the way, Health as well. Full stats, rolls, or back and forth, half and full for each level?  
Winter Wondork rolled 20 6-sided dice: 5, 3, 3, 3, 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 1, 3, 5, 4, 4, 2, 1, 4, 2 Total: 66 (20-120)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 am
Fhhh. Ima try rolling. Watch this be a massive mistake and then I get like 5s and 6s total  

Winter Wondork

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 am
Amarylli
iLL iNTENT
Amarylli

iLL iNTENT

Oh don't worry about it. I understand sleep deprivation .w. By the way, Health as well. Full stats, rolls, or back and forth, half and full for each level?

full health at level 1, then the average every level after that  
Winter Wondork rolled 4 6-sided dice: 5, 5, 1, 6 Total: 17 (4-24)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:59 am
Ergh. Was right. XD  

Winter Wondork

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 am
Do we have the option to switch to point-buy if we don't like the result?

Also, how feasible would it be for me to play a Qinggong Drunken Master Monk of the Sacred Mountain with Vow of Silence?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am
Dion Necurat

Also, how feasible would it be for me to play a Qinggong Drunken Master Monk of the Sacred Mountain with Vow of Silence?

I don't think it would be very easy. Get drunk, start babbling randomly. Dont remember it in the morning. Everyone else knows you broke your vow but not you.  

Winter Wondork

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 am
Amarylli
Dion Necurat

I don't think it would be very easy. Get drunk, start babbling randomly. Dont remember it in the morning. Everyone else knows you broke your vow but not you.

If the vow is broken, I would simply lose the bonus ki...that is, until 17th level, where I'd have to drop the archtype vow for the Sacred Mountain vow.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 am
Dion Necurat
Amarylli
Dion Necurat

If the vow is broken, I would simply lose the bonus ki...that is, until 17th level, where I'd have to drop the archtype vow for the Sacred Mountain vow.

Is joke o3o  

Winter Wondork

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 am
Amarylli
Dion Necurat
Amarylli
Dion Necurat

Is joke o3o

I figured. XD

I'm attempting to create the most broken monk I can.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am
Dion Necurat

I figured. XD

I'm attempting to create the most broken monk I can.

Just a lot of vows for a lot of Ki for a lot of face kicking?

Also, can you help me? I've never done a mount before .w.  

Winter Wondork

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am
Dion Necurat

that's....quite a mouthful. i'll have to look into all that, which might take a bit as tired as i am right now. as for point buy, if you roll ASTONISHINGLY bad, i'll let you switch to point buy  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff