Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Update and good news as well as a question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 am
Sorry I haven't posted in ages. I've been super busy lately. Been getting a lot of hours at work and when I haven't been working, I've been busy. I'm moving in 2 months and I have been busy getting prepared for the big move.

Bandit is now at his ideal weight and I have been maintaining it quite well. biggrin I'll share pictures of him when I can get some good side view pictures of him. He prefers looking at me and facing me. I'll probably need someone to help hold him still so I can take the side view picture. I'll post more pictures as well.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, I am moving in with a friend in two months! I am finally getting out of my parents' house! I am also able to take my pets with me! The trip will take at least 17 hours with stops to get gas and let Bandit and Charcoal out to go potty. Not sure if Charcoal will, but I'll try anyways. Any tips with moving long distance with fish and a RES Turtle? I've been doing some research as I have had time to, but as much advice as possible would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:08 am
Congrats on being able to get out on your own! I've moved many times in my lifetime, and I can tell you there's nothing easy about it whatsoever. It can be a very stressful time for everyone involved.

I've moved long distance twice: once on my own several states away (with a relative, to help keep me safe); and then back to my hometown again a few years later. The 2nd time around, we had an infant and a cat with us, so the 18+ hour ride took us 2 days, to include many more stopovers and an overnight stay. At the time, we didn't have a cat carrier, so Tinker hid out under the [bench] seat of the U-Haul truck the whole way. She was -not- a happy camper, and we had one -heck- of a time trying to get her to come out of hiding when we finally got to our destination. I highly advise keeping cats and dogs in [secured] carriers whenever traveling.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about traveling with fish or turtles, but I would imagine there are several things you must do in order to keep them safe. The movement of the vehicle alone will make it very stressful for them, so I hope you can find a way that will help reduce their stress, and yours.

One more thing: I highly advise for you to pack your bed LAST, or at the very least, make it real easy to get to. Then when you start unloading, set your bed up FIRST before anything else ... after taking care of your animals, that is. This way, your bed will be all set up and ready to fall back onto when you're dead tired from all that unloading and unpacking.

Good luck and be safe!
3nodding  

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:12 am
Eileen50
Congrats on being able to get out on your own! I've moved many times in my lifetime, and I can tell you there's nothing easy about it whatsoever. It can be a very stressful time for everyone involved.

I've moved long distance twice: once on my own several states away (with a relative, to help keep me safe); and then back to my hometown again a few years later. The 2nd time around, we had an infant and a cat with us, so the 18+ hour ride took us 2 days, to include many more stopovers and an overnight stay. At the time, we didn't have a cat carrier, so Tinker hid out under the [bench] seat of the U-Haul truck the whole way. She was -not- a happy camper, and we had one -heck- of a time trying to get her to come out of hiding when we finally got to our destination. I highly advise keeping cats and dogs in [secured] carriers whenever traveling.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about traveling with fish or turtles, but I would imagine there are several things you must do in order to keep them safe. The movement of the vehicle alone will make it very stressful for them, so I hope you can find a way that will help reduce their stress, and yours.

One more thing: I highly advise for you to pack your bed LAST, or at the very least, make it real easy to get to. Then when you start unloading, set your bed up FIRST before anything else ... after taking care of your animals, that is. This way, your bed will be all set up and ready to fall back onto when you're dead tired from all that unloading and unpacking.

Good luck and be safe!
3nodding

Thank you! I am so excited, though at the same time, prepared for the stress of it all. I know the 15 hour trip will be lengthened by gas stops and having to stop to let the animals go potty. My mom will be helping me with the move. She'll be towing the U-haul trailer for me with her SUV and will also have her car loaded as well. I do hope to be able to make it in one day.

I will have my cat in her carrier. I know it will be hard on her because she can't eat until we get there. She gets car sick if she does and will just throw it back up. I'd rather her not do that and I'm sure she'd rather not do that too. My dog has always loved car rides and will be in my car. I won't be able to fit a carrier big enough for him in my car. He always just sits or lays down on the seat and loves looking out the window.

Thanks for the packing advice! I will be sure to pack my bed last! It would be nice to be able to sleep on it while I'm in the process of packing too. XD One of the first things I'd do is get my turtle's tank and the fish tank set back up again and get them in their respective tanks.

My family has moved with fish before, but it was short distance, the drive only being about an hour at the longest. I'll definitely have to figure out what to do with getting the fish and turtle there safely and with as little stress as possible on them.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games