Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
hmm... I wonder?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:02 pm
okay.. I know I am brand new to this guild... but I'm wondering.. how people would think of me starting my own campaign on here?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 am
Archangel_Crow
okay.. I know I am brand new to this guild... but I'm wondering.. how people would think of me starting my own campaign on here?

I would be all for it XD then of course I have been part of your campaigns before and enjoyed them alot  

DeleteThisProfile2020

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

RafeRavel

Dangerous Survivor

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 pm
I'm willing to play under most anyone, so I'd be up to give it a shot.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:36 am
What system? You are new to me.  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:40 am
Yup, just give us a game to play, which edition if needed, and we'll probably be all over it in moments x3  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am
system-wise it's closest to D&D 3.5, though I tend to incorporate pretty much anything that is 3.5 compatible... like I use a lot of pathfinder stuff, though you gain feats and skill points like D&D.. I allow mutations from d20 future, as well as the races like the sesheyan and such, though not robots (cause figuring out their level adjustment is very weird (unless I am running a future campaign). I allow the use of the pathfinder race builder with 20 rp points allowed. I know that technically makes it a monsterous race, but believe it or not I can easily deal with that. The things I don't allow are homebrew, homebrew and did I forget to mention homebrew?  

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

RafeRavel

Dangerous Survivor

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:19 pm
What's the theme of the campaign? Any major things we should know about the world, or is it based on one of the campaign settings? What ECL are we building? Character wealth? Pantheon? Banned books/classes/races?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
I haven't exactly decided all of that.. I wanted to know if I could do it before putting it all together, as for banned books/classes/races? uhh.. well.. I ban the evil alignment.. uhh.. books.. I don't really ban books specially if they are legit books, though no BESM or GURPS.. classes, long as it isn't homebrew I don't really have much care on that.. races, honestly if the campaign is an ECL 5 and you want a level adjustment of +4 go for it.. just don't complain to me when your character dies in 1 hit. Also as long as it isn't homebrew, now if you want to make your own race there is the race builder in the advanced races guide in pathfinder  

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:16 am
Archangel_Crow

Well when you've got it all put together in your mind and have your preferred rules and what not, just post it in the forum with the name of the campaign as the subject of it. We'll all be anxiously waiting to pounce on it x3  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 pm
Archangel_Crow

I would love to join. As long as I can play a dark elf.  

Kain Almasi

Invisible Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 am
hmm... well... the main thing holding me back from really getting down to the campaign.. is the rules on how everything works for like rolling here on gaia... like how does combat work? or is that up to me?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:46 am
Archangel_Crow
hmm... well... the main thing holding me back from really getting down to the campaign.. is the rules on how everything works for like rolling here on gaia... like how does combat work? or is that up to me?
Up to you. In the end you ARE the DM so what you say goes. I've used edited Initiative rules to great effect before but for the most people just run things unedited.  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:47 am
Archangel_Crow

Run it however you want.

This forum is called the Dungeons and Dragons guild but we play plenty of different games, I am in four games so far and only two of them are D&D, both being run by Saint Odium seen earlier in this thread, the other two run by Rain Yupa Legend of the Five Rings and Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Each one barring the ones by Saint Odium have different methods of running it.

People like to roll dice in a dedicated thread.

Sometimes it's harmless to include the roll with the RP post as long as the roll does not entail more rolls and a such ends up with a chain of posts in the RP thread just for rolls.

Some combine the two where the initial roll is made with the RP post and then go into a dice overflow thread.

On the topic of combat there's usually two mindsets for play by post forums like this one.

1) Theater of the mind, disregard tactical maps or maps in general and try to describe the scene so that players understand and only have to clarify small technicalities with the GM (you)

Example (Probably a bad one because I'm terribad at creative writing): After the bard accidentally spills the orc's drink the orc at the bar draws his sword and curses at the bard. Meanwhile the orc's buddies across the room in their corner stand and draw their swords as well. Roll initiative.

Player 1 asks, "How far away are the orcs and is it difficult terrain because of tables and chairs in the way?"

Then you answer and try to get any misunderstandings and assumptions clarified.

2) Use a tactical map. This is a bit more labour intensive especially if you're not good with programs like photoshop or do not have them available to you. Every players and monsters turns will require you to edit the image used for the map so that players are up to date on who's where and whom's attacking who. This does save time however on the explaining side of things, chairs in the way of a charge can be seen on the map so players won't ask about it.

If there is a third option between these two I haven't heard of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:26 pm
okay.. so a question I need to ask, because one of my friends (archangel of creation) was wanting to play a gestalt character.. which is combining two classes together. I told him the only way he can do that is if everyone does. what are your thoughts on it. I'm fine with either way, but it's either all or none with that.  

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

Archangel_Crow

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm
oh and I've been thinking of a fairly streamline way of doing the posts... tell me what you think?

when you are doing an action that requires a roll, you'll make the roll with your post, but you don't go back and edit it. the receiving end reacts to the post on whether it made it or failed it. when you are attacking no critical fumbles, just a miss (doesn't even end your turn because all your attack rolls are made at the same time), and you don't have to confirm your criticals. if you have multiple attacks you roll that many d20s. you put your attack modifiers in the post. with multiple attacks it will go in descending order of attack bonuses.

damage will be D&D average rounded up. so a d6 will be 4. (normally it is a 3.5) you will also need to put your damage amounts and critical ranges and multipliers in the post.

We might as well throw AC in as well.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff