Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Actors in History [3.5 Sandbox game] (Always Recruiting) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabriel Lord of Flame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 am
Foreword:

Okay so here's the deal. Some of you may remember I had a 3.5 D&D game going some time last year. It died due to a number of things, including but not limited to my life catching up with me and killing my free time. Life has back off for now and I have a fair amount of said time. Thus I am interested in starting that game up again.

The Idea:

This will be a Sandbox style D&D game. This means there is no over-arching plot, no evil villain out to destroy the world, no story for me to tell, nothing. All there will be is a world. A world of infinite possibility where the players can do as they damn well please and not have to worry about the DM saying "But that would break my story!" and then punishing the player for trying to break off the train tracks.

Want to kill a king and usurp his power? Sure! Go for it! Just don't do it foolishly, you might end up with a knife in your back. Want to be a hero of the people and slay evil? No problem! Want to make ALL the money? Sure! Or maybe YOU could be the villain out to destroy the world. The only story you have to worry about is the story you make for yourselves. Anything goes! I don't care! Just have fun!

The World:

"No story, we get it. So what's this world we'll be exploring?" is the natural response I'd say.

Well the setting takes place on the continent of Mundesa, a region filled to the brim with magic, politics, and history. There's even a little steampunk clockworking thanks to a nation of industrious dwarves.

There are many nations in this setting, each with their own culture and histories and it would take me DAYS to explain everything and you would get bored long before I was finished, instead I shall give you a brief overview of current events.

In the north the three most powerful nations on the continent are showing signs of an oncoming war that promises to shake the very world to its core. These nations are the Intheran Republic, The Kingdom of Ironbrend, and the Druidicy of Greywilde Forest.

Inthera is a nation much like Rome was in our world, accepting all races and working to advance its influence across the known world. It is the most magically advanced nation on the continent as well as the largest, both in size and population, and possibly most powerful. Firearms, though magical in nature, originate from here and their secrets are strictly protected

Ironbrend is a nation of dwarves and humans famous for tinkering and making non-magical golems and machines. It is the richest of the three and trade with this nation is the primary reason war has yet to break out.

As for the Greywilde it is mostly a loose collaboration of hidden elven villages ruled by an enigmatic order of druids. Not much is known about them by outsiders and Intherans are killed on sight should they enter the forest.

In the south is a host of smaller nations, each being politically played by the three northern nations in an attempt to get an advantage over their rivals.

There are various other power groups but I'm getting way too lecturey for an interest check thread.

Here's a map for reference, please ignore spelling errors I made this years ago and I don't want to erase anything for fear of damaging it:
User Image

House Rules:

Instead of the "every 4 levels +1 to a single stat", you get "+1d4 to a single stat every 4 levels", there are very real reasons for this not just "give PCs more power" This rule also only applies to character levels NOT plain HD unless it is an advanced monster, in which case the extra HD are the only that apply.

Initiative is reworked for better play in a forum medium:
Any characters that are aligned with one another are considered in a "Party". Each member of a Party rolls as normal and that party uses the highest total amongst its members as its total. Each member of the party goes on their party's initiative total in no particular order. So Party A goes and when they have all posted it becomes Party B's turn and when they are done it is again party A's turn at the start of a new round. "Boss" characters always go first because totals tend to be higher under this rule set. Multiple "Boss" characters roll off against each other as normal. Players can be "Boss" characters given a significant gap in power to the rest of the combatants.

If you are not active for a three days without warning and it is mid-combat I will take control of your character for that turn and send you a PM asking what is up.

Keen and Improved Critical stack because I say so. : P

Scimitars can use weapon finesse because WotC doesn't know weapons.

Level adjustments for monster races are 1/2 HD+LA because monster HD =/= character level despite providing base attack, health and skill points. (Its like taking a level in warrior or commoner.) the Dragon type is immune to this because well yeah DRAGONS. Anyone wishing to play a dragon will need special permission and a reason beyond wanting power.

I do NOT use Psionics. I just don't like them.

Massive Damage threshold is NOT 50. Your massive damage threshold is calculated by this equation created by rule variants in Unearthed Arcana: CONx2+ Size modifer(Medium +0, Large +5, Small -5, you get the pattern)+ 1/2 HD rounded UP.

For every 5 points of damage over something's MD threshold the save DC increases by +1

All of these are up for debate.

Character creation:

For stats-
You can either use this Array: 18, 16, 12,10, 10, 9

OR

Roll 2 sets of stats using 7 stat rolls of 4d6-lowest 1d6, dropping the lowest roll in each set and choosing your preferred set. If one of your set's modifiers does not add up to at least +5, reroll that set.

Starting level is a very loose level 3, with 3000 starting gold.

No class restictions, homebrew must be approved.

Accepted PCs
Vexilinar - Elven Sorcerer
Zee

The nations and various power groups in more depth:

The Grand Guild of Adventurers-

Guild Master- Anothis the Roaring Flame Level-? Class- Some kind of battle mage, possibly multiclass Fighter/wizard. Rumors abound as to this man's true nature.

Description- Founded within the last ten years this guild has rapidly expanded in that time, becoming very famous in the south for directly opposing Intheran expansionism and becoming a reliable source of experienced mercenaries. It's leader has a multimillion platinum bounty on his head for the assassination of the Arch-Mage of the head of the Intheran Order of Magic and it is known as a terrorist organization across that nation.

The Guild has become very rich and its numbers are many due to its organized pilfering and looting of many ancient ruins across the continent. The guild also accepts and organizes mercenary work making it easier for adventurers of any creed to find work. It is also said, though this is only rumors as members are very secretive on this subject, that the Guild owns a hidden city from which it operates.

Inthera, The Republic of

Current High Emperutor- Maxim Dulton II Level- ? Class- Warmage

Inthera is ruled by a senate of elected officials that come from all creeds of life based on merit and the votes of the populace. Once a generation a senate member is elected High Emperutor and that office is held for life, acting as the highest form of government, the symbol of the nation, and head of the military. The next Emperutor is usually the child of the previous though it is by no means a requirement.

Those that show talent for the Arcane Arts in Inthera must by law all join The Order, are granted citizenship, and undergo training there. Rogue mages are hunted down and forced to join by any means needed, including mind control magic. Citizenship in the Republic is earned by means of merit instead of birth and anyone who does not meet these merits is not granted any protection or freedoms, as a result noncitizens are often used for menial labor and are treated poorly. The easiest way to earn citizenship is to spend 5 years in service to the military. Despite all this Inthera is generally considered a good place to live as Citizens are allowed to speak and live freely, clean water is readily available and food is in no short supply.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 am
*is greatly interested* So, just straight up 3.5 then?  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Gabriel Lord of Flame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:48 am
InsaneKatKing475
*is greatly interested* So, just straight up 3.5 then?
I have a list of house rules that, in general, I like to run by but they are mostly character creation changes that grant the player an extra kick so I can throw the stronger monsters sooner and initiative rule changes to speed up battles for forum play.

The big changes are that a "party" rolls and uses the highest result among its members and everyone in that party goes when it's their turn, in no particular order, and in instead of +1 to a stat every 4 levels its a +1d4. There are others but I don't want to get into posting everything until I know there is interest. Just know that if anyone has an issue with a rule change it can be taken out/edited to better suit the game.

Until then I'll just tell you what roll for stats.

You can either use this Array: 18, 16, 12,10, 10, 9

OR

Roll 2 sets of stats using 7 stat rolls of 4d6-lowest 1d6, dropping the lowest roll in each set and choosing your preferred set.

I'm going to let popular vote set starting level. I'd prefer it be something lower than 7 though.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 am
purest_heart

Hmmm, is there a point buy calculator option by any chance? If not, i'll probably just do the rolling. *dreads gaia dice roller*  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Gabriel Lord of Flame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 am
InsaneKatKing475
I would prefer to stay away from point buys as they make everyone to uniform in my opinion. Don't worry if your modifiers add up to less than 5 you can reroll that set.  
InsaneKatKing rolled 12 6-sided dice: 5, 6, 1, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 6, 1, 4, 1 Total: 48 (12-72)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:19 am
purest_heart

Fair enough.  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
InsaneKatKing rolled 16 6-sided dice: 5, 2, 1, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3 Total: 41 (16-96)

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:30 am
5, 6, 1, 5 = 16

5, 4, 5, 5 = 15

6, 1, 4, 1 = 11

Not bad so far.

5, 2, 1, 4 = 11

1, 2, 3, 1 = 6

4, 6, 2, 3 = 13

1, 2, 1, 3 = 6

Well crap  
InsaneKatKing rolled 12 6-sided dice: 5, 6, 2, 5, 4, 6, 1, 3, 3, 5, 1, 5 Total: 46 (12-72)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:44 am
So first set is 16, 15, 11, 11, 6, and 13.

Ouch, really. Well, here's the second.  

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
InsaneKatKing rolled 16 6-sided dice: 2, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 1, 2, 5, 6, 4, 2 Total: 56 (16-96)

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:46 am
InsaneKatKing475
So first set is 16, 15, 11, 11, 6, and 13.

Ouch, really. Well, here's the second.

5, 6, 2, 5 = 16

4, 6, 1, 3 = 13

3, 5, 1, 5 = 13

Okay~

2, 5, 6, 4 = 15

2, 1, 5, 3 = 10

6, 2, 1, 2 = 10

5, 6, 4, 2 = 15

So my stats for this one are 16, 13, 13, 15, 10, and 15. I can deal with this  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 pm
i am interested and hope this game gets somewhere smile

but until the house rules are displayed i won't be doing much more than rolling. so level is uncertain at this time which is fine. i think that 2-5 is a good thresh hold to keep it at. your not as weak and squishy as a level 1 at 2 but level 5 seems a little high. the level you suggested, 7, just seems to be too much. i prefur making a character from the ground up not starting with one that has done things to get to where he/she is.  

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Gabriel Lord of Flame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:29 pm
Xenar1

but until the house rules are displayed i won't be doing much more than rolling. so level is uncertain at this time which is fine. i think that 2-5 is a good thresh hold to keep it at. your not as weak and squishy as a level 1 at 2 but level 5 seems a little high. the level you suggested, 7, just seems to be too much. i prefur making a character from the ground up not starting with one that has done things to get to where he/she is.
I suggested 7 as more of a limit than what I want to do. 2 or 3 is what I would LIKE but sometimes people want to just get right into the higher levels which is fine with me. As for house rules I'll type them up in the OP along with more setting info after work.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:54 am
Edited main post and also reserving space on front page for later edits for lore cause OP WILL be filled by the time I'm done...  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:27 am
purest_heart
Xenar1

I suggested 7 as more of a limit than what I want to do. 2 or 3 is what I would LIKE but sometimes people want to just get right into the higher levels which is fine with me. As for house rules I'll type them up in the OP along with more setting info after work.

indeed i do prefer a lower level but i also don't much like playing most of the core races so LA is always a consern of mine. at 2 or 3 a lot of options are open for use which is fine for me smile

if you want to save space on the first page i could always delete my posts later if you want....  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:35 am
Xenar1
purest_heart
Xenar1

indeed i do prefer a lower level but i also don't much like playing most of the core races so LA is always a consern of mine. at 2 or 3 a lot of options are open for use which is fine for me smile

if you want to save space on the first page i could always delete my posts later if you want....
2 posts will suffice as we will be getting a subforum for this once I have the required players. The only reason I need so much space is to give you guys more world info so you can decide where your character hails from. I give bonus feats/skill bonuses due to culture as a racial bonus depending on place of origin. Like say an Intharen Citizen gets Use Magic Device as a class skill no matter their class and and gets a +2 bonus to said skill.

Got the idea from Ebberon and liked it so I used it.  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:26 pm
purest_heart

So, what level shall we start our character buildings at? I don't mind going with a low level then raising them up, but i always like to know x3  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff