Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Question: Arena

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 pm
How many people here would play in a pathfinder or 4th edition arena based game, where the player builds his own team and plays two, or all four, characters in the fight?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am
I'd might play a 4.0 game of this.  

Liquidor

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:04 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
How many people here would play in a pathfinder or 4th edition arena based game, where the player builds his own team and plays two, or all four, characters in the fight?

Rain, if I remember correctly, did exactly this in 4th edition and it did not pan out well. Though he did it with people playing the individuals of a team rather than a whole team. I personally thing that the game would be bogged down by heavy book keeping.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 am
Mongooseh
Southern Cross Nemesis

Rain, if I remember correctly, did exactly this in 4th edition and it did not pan out well. Though he did it with people playing the individuals of a team rather than a whole team. I personally thing that the game would be bogged down by heavy book keeping.

I know he did have a game, currently locked down and under the title [D&D 4e] Coliseum, and that he was thinking on revamping/restarting it(if it was just a passing thought, during his hectic life at the moment).

The book keeping thing was also a concern with me. Which is why I said two or four(half or full teams). And, I am open for other options.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:12 pm
options, I have thought of...

A.) The player doesn't play a character, like Spartacus, but instead plays different pre-made battles, with the team that has been created for that battle. If they win, the player gets gold/points that they can buy bonus for his next fight.

Not a fan of the above, as it is a lot more work on my part. Ehh...

B.) The player creates his/her character, and they have the option of taking on their next round by themselves, As for other players to join in, or pick form a handful of pre-made warriors who can be rented out(based on their level). Should the player(s) win, the money and experience then would be divided up to the players(the hired hands already were paid, pre-match).

Again, this means I would have to get to love the creation rules of the chosen system.

D.) Still thinking...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 pm
I think it went well enough; the problem with ANY PBP game is that when people stop posting in something otherwise critical that they do, it hurts everyone.

I hadn't considered a player controlling a whole team before. I must warn you though, you must be strict with allowed resources. Either limit everyone, or only allow people to, say, use 3 books for their team. Meaning if they have a 4e Goliath Battlevigor Fighter, that's all 3 right there (PHB1, PHB2, MP). Otherwise, people with more resources might have an advantage over those who don't.

I find that being more of a problem with 3.5/pathfinder than with 4e though because of how balanced it is.

As an aside, I haven't given up the idea of running it again. The whole living on my own thing is new for me. No one to cook, no one to clean, and the limited job opportunities forcing me to work overtime; I have less time than I expected. Most of my free time has gone to sleeping, of all things. When I get my debts cleared, and/or my new job becomes less burdensome with new employee tasks, I'll be making more appearances.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas