Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Chatterbox
The Apocrypha & Other Books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 pm
I'm just really wanting to read through The Apocrypha and the fake books of the Bible.
See I don't really know much about either of the two so I'm wanting to study them.

I want to read the Apocrypha because I know that it used to be in the Bible, and well I want to actually be able to read it.
I haven't been able to find a Bible with that included in a bookstore and I don't buy things online.

Then I want to read the fakes because I'm just curious and well curiosity is killing me.
Plus I want to read them then read the reasons why it is a fake and add that to my knowledge, knowledge is power anyway.

Thing is before I go raiding Google, I think it would be best to ask those here who have actually read through the texts so I don't go out and get deceived by fining some webpage full of lies or something.

Do you know of any of these books and where I can find credible information about them online?
And maybe give me a list of the approved Apocrypha books and a list of the known fakes.

So far the only books I know about are...
1 Clement
The Book Of Enoch? (something to do with Enoch)
Bel And The Dragon
The Gospel of Judas? (Something about Judas)
The Lost Gospel Q (Saw something about it on TV apparently its a document of hypothetical sayings?)
Tobit

Only reason I know about any of them is because I caught parts of documentaries on TV about them, or have seen posts about them online in random places.

I tried asking my family about it and they just looked at me like I had three heads. sweatdrop

EDIT!!!
Found this huge mass of a list...
http://thelostbooks.com/list.htm

Now which text is what?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 pm
As far as the Gospel of Judas goes, it basically supports the idea that Christ actually told Judas to do what he did, or had been possessed by a demon at the time.  

Arcosi Knight

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm
Arcosi Knight
As far as the Gospel of Judas goes, it basically supports the idea that Christ actually told Judas to do what he did, or had been possessed by a demon at the time.

That sounds pretty interesting. Do you have any credited links for it?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 am
South Polar Eclipse
Arcosi Knight

Just Wikipedia.

Gospel of Judas on Wikipedia  

Arcosi Knight

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 pm
Arcosi Knight
South Polar Eclipse
Arcosi Knight

Just Wikipedia.

Sure it's accurate? I heard that Wikipedia could be edited by anyone.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 pm
South Polar Eclipse
Arcosi Knight
South Polar Eclipse
Arcosi Knight

Just Wikipedia.

Sure it's accurate? I heard that Wikipedia could be edited by anyone.

I can't say for certain. Just a second note though. The Gospel of Judas is considered to be closer to Gnostic tradition of Christianity. Which is very, very, very different than the version of Christianity we know.

The gospel itself claims that Judas was the only one who really understood Jesus's lessons... and was then stoned by the other disciples.

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in this piece of apocrypha myself.  

Arcosi Knight

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm
I'm not particularly interested in the Gospel of Judah, but I am interested in a bunch of the other works as well!

I know the Dead Sea Scrolls that were discovered have had pieces translated from them, and there's some interesting stuff about what the world was like before the Great Flood, and why God chose to flood the world...

I guess there were angels that disobeyed God and did something with humans (I don't remember what, there were some chunks of text missing) that ended up creating giants and all sorts of other terrible giant creatures...
And the giants had their own culture and everything, but they did something and God wanted to wipe them out, there was a lot of text missing but it was still interesting to read and just wonder what the giants and the angels could have possibly done to make God that upset...

I think it would be neat to read the Apocrypha and get more familiar with the history of it, just to see why it was excluded from the Bible, while other books were kept in.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:37 pm
Blaise-Ingram
I'm not particularly interested in the Gospel of Judah, but I am interested in a bunch of the other works as well!

I know the Dead Sea Scrolls that were discovered have had pieces translated from them, and there's some interesting stuff about what the world was like before the Great Flood, and why God chose to flood the world...

I guess there were angels that disobeyed God and did something with humans (I don't remember what, there were some chunks of text missing) that ended up creating giants and all sorts of other terrible giant creatures...
And the giants had their own culture and everything, but they did something and God wanted to wipe them out, there was a lot of text missing but it was still interesting to read and just wonder what the giants and the angels could have possibly done to make God that upset...

I think it would be neat to read the Apocrypha and get more familiar with the history of it, just to see why it was excluded from the Bible, while other books were kept in.

I actually read the ones they had already translated in 2011 and in 2012. The books and stories or chapters they had was mind blowing. It basically gives a total new view on certain things in the current bible. It does get you thinking about things and how the modern bible came to be. When I read them, I asked myself why they would take these books out and then I realize its something the most people and the faint of heart aren't ready for. Lots of conspiracy theories and people who disown the bible have come about just from reading it. just be careful on what you read.  

captain gemi

Mythical Member

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm
captain gemi
Blaise-Ingram

I actually read the ones they had already translated in 2011 and in 2012. The books and stories or chapters they had was mind blowing. It basically gives a total new view on certain things in the current bible. It does get you thinking about things and how the modern bible came to be. When I read them, I asked myself why they would take these books out and then I realize its something the most people and the faint of heart aren't ready for. Lots of conspiracy theories and people who disown the bible have come about just from reading it. just be careful on what you read.

That's understandable.
Luckily my faith is strong enough in Jesus, the part of the Bible that REALLY matters the most, to where anything else that comes up won't shake my faith. I try to stay open-minded about things in the Old Testament, just because a lot of the old Jewish traditions were passed down verbally before they were written down. So I figure a lot could have been excluded, either because it was contradictory or (probably more commonly) deemed irrelevant somehow.

But yeah, to me the Gospel is #1 in importance, and everything else comes second. But that's just my personal view.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 am
Blaise-Ingram
captain gemi
Blaise-Ingram

That's understandable.
Luckily my faith is strong enough in Jesus, the part of the Bible that REALLY matters the most, to where anything else that comes up won't shake my faith. I try to stay open-minded about things in the Old Testament, just because a lot of the old Jewish traditions were passed down verbally before they were written down. So I figure a lot could have been excluded, either because it was contradictory or (probably more commonly) deemed irrelevant somehow.

But yeah, to me the Gospel is #1 in importance, and everything else comes second. But that's just my personal view.

Thats good on your faith. The Bible is up to individual interpretations and I guess what other books we read or see is the same.  

captain gemi

Mythical Member

silvershadowedwings

Timid Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 pm
There are Catholic Bibles that contain the apocrypha books; i have the NAB, not to be confused with the NASB
Maybe you can check Gotquestions?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:04 am
Catholic Bibles have some of these books. Not the Gnostic ones of course. Just the Deuterocanonical books/Apocrypha. Let me list them, in traditional order:
Tobit
Judith
Esther (Greek)
Wisdom of Solomon
Sirach
Baruch
Letter of Jeremiah
Song of the Three Young Men
Susana
Bel and the Dragon
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

As for the Gnostic texts, they are fake pieces of literature, probably not written by the people whose names are on the covers. They contain mostly disjointed sayings, supposedly from Jesus, and toy with the idea that the God of the Old Testament was an evil demiurge, and not the One True God of Jesus' time. They were widely recognised by most early churches to be heathen farces.

The few remaining copies of these texts, like the "Gospel" of Judas, have generated massive controversy worldwide, spawning at least two National Geographic documentaries, and catapulting authors like Dan Brown to fame.  

amk1998

Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff