Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
What does it mean to be "yoked" with unbelievers?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

accountSwitched123

Timid Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 pm
And how should that influence our friendships on Gaia?

Just curious. I've been wanting to make friends with people in Friends Chat, but after reading this verse again recently on being "yoked," I'm afraid I'll be doing something wrong if I do.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:30 am
Jiggit
And how should that influence our friendships on Gaia?

Just curious. I've been wanting to make friends with people in Friends Chat, but after reading this verse again recently on being "yoked," I'm afraid I'll be doing something wrong if I do.

The surrounding context that you are meaning I am assuming is this:

I found an excellent, detailed answer to this question (it involves looking into a lot of the context). There is a lot in regards to this topic, and here is a link to an article about it on biblegateway that you may want to look at:

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/2Cor/Unequal-Yoking-Unbelievers  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

accountSwitched123

Timid Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 am
Aquatic_blue

Thank you! That has been very helpful.

One question though. The article says:

Quote:
It is a particular kind of contact with unbelievers that is in view. What kind, though? Paul's quotation of Isaiah 52:11, where Israel is commanded to come out from them and be separate suggests contact of a compromising nature....

Quote:
Paul is clearly thinking of associations that involve a partnership rather than a casual or occasional working relationship.

Based on what I've understood from the rest of the article, these things make sense. But I'm still a bit concerned. Would that exclude chatting about general things with them, that aren't necessarily about God? What happens if an unbeliever asks to be my friend, or sends me a Friend Request? Should I refuse them? (I know you didn't write the article, but I thought I'd ask your opinion anyways.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am
Personally, I don't believe it would include excluding them from our life in general. We are to guard our hearts and go into these situations prepared. It's great to witness to them, but witnessing is more than just words - it's actions as well. Sometimes words won't convince a person because their heart has been hardened. Sometimes it takes actions such as kindness, being forgiving, etc. to witness to them. So talking about things involving God like scripture, His word, etc. and talking about other general things I both see no issue with.

I don't see anything wrong with accepting a friend request from an unbeliever because you may be one they can ask questions, or perhaps in your status or signature you are witnessing to them in that manner. This is highly debatable in the church and I know there are many who will disagree with me who say that we shouldn't be friends with unbelievers, or shouldn't be friends with Christians who say they are "Christian", but committ sin when they want because they want to and don't truly care.

We aren't 100% sure what type of partnership he was meaning here so we aren't all that sure whether it was marriage, friendship, a relationship between a Christian and a struggling Christian, etc. Although, it's mostly believed that the assocation between believers and unbelievers is the main subject matter here.

When we associate with those who are not believers, I do believe we should take caution and be careful to put on God's armor in order to not fall for any temptation that may come our way due to the other person. If a person engages in a sinful behavior, we shouldn't join in that sinful behavior with them just because we're "friends" or something of that sort. Or if they encourage us to pursue temptation that we should stay away because they are trying to make us fall.

We must also remember that Paul was a fan of rhetorical questions that generally gave a statement and then the answer would be, "No way!" but it would be to draw people in to tell them what was considered wrong, and what they are to do instead. He wrote generally in a certain type of format, which was either an A, B, A, B format or a A1, B1, C1, A2, B2, C2 (he would sometimes address the issue, explain a bit, and then get back to the issue). This is important when reading what Paul writes when trying to get the most out of what Paul means.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

accountSwitched123

Timid Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:47 am
Aquatic_blue
Personally, I don't believe it would include excluding them from our life in general. We are to guard our hearts and go into these situations prepared. It's great to witness to them, but witnessing is more than just words - it's actions as well. Sometimes words won't convince a person because their heart has been hardened. Sometimes it takes actions such as kindness, being forgiving, etc. to witness to them. So talking about things involving God like scripture, His word, etc. and talking about other general things I both see no issue with.

I don't see anything wrong with accepting a friend request from an unbeliever because you may be one they can ask questions, or perhaps in your status or signature you are witnessing to them in that manner. This is highly debatable in the church and I know there are many who will disagree with me who say that we shouldn't be friends with unbelievers, or shouldn't be friends with Christians who say they are "Christian", but committ sin when they want because they want to and don't truly care.

We aren't 100% sure what type of partnership he was meaning here so we aren't all that sure whether it was marriage, friendship, a relationship between a Christian and a struggling Christian, etc. Although, it's mostly believed that the assocation between believers and unbelievers is the main subject matter here.

When we associate with those who are not believers, I do believe we should take caution and be careful to put on God's armor in order to not fall for any temptation that may come our way due to the other person. If a person engages in a sinful behavior, we shouldn't join in that sinful behavior with them just because we're "friends" or something of that sort. Or if they encourage us to pursue temptation that we should stay away because they are trying to make us fall.

We must also remember that Paul was a fan of rhetorical questions that generally gave a statement and then the answer would be, "No way!" but it would be to draw people in to tell them what was considered wrong, and what they are to do instead. He wrote generally in a certain type of format, which was either an A, B, A, B format or a A1, B1, C1, A2, B2, C2 (he would sometimes address the issue, explain a bit, and then get back to the issue). This is important when reading what Paul writes when trying to get the most out of what Paul means.

Ah, I see. ^^ And you're right -- we should never compromise with our friends if they do a sinful action. I think I will take some time to meditate on this. Thank you for taking the time to respond.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am
It's a lot easier to convince people of something, or at least get them to listen to you, if you're on good terms. If you refuse to even consider being friends with people unless they're already Christian, then you're pretty much preventing yourself from spreading the Good News and acting exactly the opposite of the way that supports the Church as a whole.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm
Jiggit
Aquatic_blue

Ah, I see. ^^ And you're right -- we should never compromise with our friends if they do a sinful action. I think I will take some time to meditate on this. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

You're welcome 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:45 pm
Oddly enough, I've never heard of yoking...

I read the passages linked in the second post, and I still have no idea what "yoking" is.

I'd like to assume that it's like a yoke, like something you steer horses with, or a control mechanism for steering...

So I'm thinking the passage says "don't let let unbelievers steer you". In other words, you have to be strong and absolute in your faith and love of Jesus, so that when other people may try (either intentionally or accidentally) to steer you away from God, you won't budge.

As for having non-believer friends, I think it's better to have non-believer friends. You get to learn more about the world that way. You don't end up trapped in some walled-off Christian bubble of safety and privilege that can end up hurting other people that you try to help later on. Being detached from the world and not being able to deal with the very real problems that other human beings have is a big problem that I observe a lot of Christians having.

They only talk to people in their church, or other Christians, or their Christian friends at their Christian school, so when other non-believers come along, they are at a complete loss at how to interact with them because they've not had the experience required to communicate effectively.

And when you don't know how to interact with people other than Christians, you will fail at communicating the Gospel and the good news of Jesus to them. It's as simple as that. You can tell them all the truth about God, but they will not listen simply because they will see you as detached from the rest of the world, and "not in touch with reality".

My pastor always said, "Be IN the world, but not OF it."

So do not be sheltered. Be absolutely firm in your beliefs, but socialize with non-Christians as much as Christians. Don't let people steer you away. Even if they try, simply don't let them. Just be friends with people!

If you realize you're being yoked or steered away somehow, just stop and think and remember God. If for some reason, something crazy happens that might cause you to want to break off your friendship because you feel it will hurt your relationship with God (such as someone forcing or coercing you to do or say something you don't want to do!), then break off the friendship.

But for now, go out and enjoy friendship with people. :]  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers