Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Hatred in the bible. Help me understand!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Misty Moonsilver

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am
Hey everyone! I've been studying my bible a bit more lately. So I was reading though proverbs when I stumbled on Prov. 10:18 that reads
"Whoever hides hatred has lying lips, And whoever spreads slander is a fool"
So the second part about slander seems to be about gossip but the first part doesn't make sense to me.
Whoever hides hatred is a liar? Does this apply to situations with co workers, for example that we really don't like but we bite our tongue out of respect and our jobs? Where is the line drawn between turning the other cheek and being a liar?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am
The first part of this verse speaks of those that have hatred in their hearts. Many of these people try to hide this hatred when they are speaking to others, and to do this, they end up speaking lies. We need to let God clean up our hearts so that we can have a truly forgiving heart, and then we will not have “lying lips” when we speak of others.

The second part of this verse is not in contrast to the first part as many of the verses that we have studied have been. In this verse, the second part compliments, or comes at the subject of our words from a different angle. Those that have hatred or malice in their hearts, will often spread “slander” about others. The Online Dictionary gives this definition of slander: 1. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation. 2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

This verse says that those that go around spreading “slander” are fools. Often, gossip is another form of “slander,” as well. We need to keep a close watch on our words! Here is what Jesus has to say about this subject.

Matthew 12:33-37
33 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Misty Moonsilver

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm
Garland-Green
The first part of this verse speaks of those that have hatred in their hearts. Many of these people try to hide this hatred when they are speaking to others, and to do this, they end up speaking lies. We need to let God clean up our hearts so that we can have a truly forgiving heart, and then we will not have “lying lips” when we speak of others.

The second part of this verse is not in contrast to the first part as many of the verses that we have studied have been. In this verse, the second part compliments, or comes at the subject of our words from a different angle. Those that have hatred or malice in their hearts, will often spread “slander” about others. The Online Dictionary gives this definition of slander: 1. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation. 2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

This verse says that those that go around spreading “slander” are fools. Often, gossip is another form of “slander,” as well. We need to keep a close watch on our words! Here is what Jesus has to say about this subject.

Matthew 12:33-37
33 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

So if we don't like someone, we shouldn't hide it?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:35 pm
I agree with Garland on this one.

Also, if a person speaks lies, they will have hatred in their heart, because we are supposed to be kind hearted. Jesus doesn't want us to be angry inside or hate anyone.

I suppose the verse could be paraphrased here as "Whoever lies, hides hatred in their heart."

Even if we don't like somebody, we should still be kind with our actions and words. Honesty is important, but it doesn't mean we will go around and say, "I don't like you!" or, "I hate you!" It's not right. We should be kind to everyone and not hold any hate inside. Of course there will be people in our life we will run into that we don't like, and at that decision we need to be kind, but we need to determine, "Do I need to distance myself from this individual/these people?" or, "Should I witness to them?" or, "Should I continue to be a good example for them?" These are things we need to pray about.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm
Aquatic_blue
I agree with Garland on this one.

Also, if a person speaks lies, they will have hatred in their heart, because we are supposed to be kind hearted. Jesus doesn't want us to be angry inside or hate anyone.

I suppose the verse could be paraphrased here as "Whoever lies, hides hatred in their heart."

Even if we don't like somebody, we should still be kind with our actions and words. Honesty is important, but it doesn't mean we will go around and say, "I don't like you!" or, "I hate you!" It's not right. We should be kind to everyone and not hold any hate inside. Of course there will be people in our life we will run into that we don't like, and at that decision we need to be kind, but we need to determine, "Do I need to distance myself from this individual/these people?" or, "Should I witness to them?" or, "Should I continue to be a good example for them?" These are things we need to pray about.

While I haven't read the original Greek/Hebrew version for a more accurate translation, I feel like that specific paraphrasing doesn't work here and defies some kind of sequential logic the verse has.

"Whoever hides hatred has lying lips"
1) "All people who hide hatred are liars." is not the same statement as
2) "All people who are liars hide hatred."

There is a hierarchy. It would be like saying "All women are human beings.", but you couldn't turn it around and say "All human beings are women."
You get what I mean?

HOWEVER, I do still agree with your main point for the most part. Your point definitely still stands, that was just me being pedantic back there. However, people speak lies for a variety of reasons. For example, a child will lie about stealing a cookie because they don't want to get in trouble; a girl or boy can accidentally (like a slip of the tongue that happens before you can think about it) lie to a person who tries to woo them just by saying "I have a boyfriend/girlfriend, sorry" when that's not true. And a variety of other circumstances.

AS FOR THE SECTION OF ORIGINAL VERSE AGAIN:
"Whoever hides hatred has lying lips, And whoever spreads slander is a fool."

This is how I would paraphrase the verse:

"If you are feeling hatred and hiding it, you're a liar. But that doesn't mean you should spread it around."

Being a liar is something that everyone does. It can't be avoided. Why? Because sin. People just can't help sinning, they do it all the time no matter how hard they try not to. Some more than others.

But I believe (yes, this is opinion) that the words of Jesus outweigh the rest of the Old Testament , because he came to fulfill that law and teach new and better ways to act and treat other people.

So yes. Turn the other cheek.
But if you're having a problem with your co-workers, maybe you should confront them out of love (and not hatred) to help make them a better person if they're hurting others, unless it's something really trite or petty, then just let it go. After all, hatred only sows the seeds of more hatred. And which is worse, being hated for spreading hatred and slander around, or being quiet and keeping the admiration and respect of your co-workers?

It's a lot more work to keep hatred to yourself than it is to spread it around, and therefore more respectable. Yeah it's lying, but it's better than starting a hate-war at the office and losing your credibility, which is something that can never be gained again once it is lost.

TL:dr; Turn the other cheek, be a good example to people.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm
Also, slander doesn't necessarily have to be gossip.

Slander can be a lot of things. Here's the general definition I found:
"The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."

So I guess the entire verse can also be interpreted as "If you feel hatred and hide it, you're a liar. If you spread slander (a false statement), you're a liar."

It's possible that there is a balance that can be found between the two, but it's still better to just turn the other cheek and set an example as someone who is Christ-like and a representative of their religion. :]  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items