Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Star Trek Sourcebooks: Recommendations? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 pm
Howdy, gents.

So I've been intrigued with wanting to play a Star Trek tabletop game. Unfortunately, I am not sure which sourcebooks I should look into first. If anyone has ever heard of, or even have them, what would you recommend?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 pm
Well, I do own this game. It was on sale very cheap at a college used bookstore, so I grabbed it plus the player's guide that goes with it.

Unfortunately I've never had a chance to play. My gaming group leaned more towards Star Wars than Star Trek. I'm still a Trekkie though, so I wouldn't mind playing or running it one day.

If I ran it in the guild, my plan was to name the starship the USS Reevinja. ^-^ At this point I'm not ready to start up something ELSE though (things got delayed as I hurt my back this past weekend; I'm pretty much recovered now but I was poking at my birthday stuff this evening. I plan on posting in things tomorrow). So if such a game was online, I'd prefer to be a Player more than a Game Master.

The rules seem well defined, but the system isn't similar to one I've played before and I'm kind of a slow learner so it's a bit clunky in my hands. I have to keep cross-referencing how the dice system works. It's not HARD, there's just a little too many things based on other things based on other things for me to get down pat without first-hand experience.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:13 pm
Funny thing Rain, that's the exact book I was thinking of picking up. Unfortunately, due to it being out of print, its a tad expensive...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm
Dion Necurat
Funny thing Rain, that's the exact book I was thinking of picking up. Unfortunately, due to it being out of print, its a tad expensive...

If it's out of print feel no shame in YO HO HO'ing it don't bother feeding the third party market and not the actual developers.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 pm
Mongooseh
Dion Necurat

If it's out of print feel no shame in YO HO HO'ing it don't bother feeding the third party market and not the actual developers.

I've been a little hesitant about YO HO HOing recently (mostly due to viruses and whatnot) and considering it isn't exactly a popular title, it might be alright, but I still like to play it safe. Granted, I could also just say ******** it and do it, but torrenting takes forever... xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm
Dion Necurat
Mongooseh
Dion Necurat

I've been a little hesitant about YO HO HOing recently (mostly due to viruses and whatnot) and considering it isn't exactly a popular title, it might be alright, but I still like to play it safe. Granted, I could also just say ******** it and do it, but torrenting takes forever... xd

Most pdf's are available off of torrent sites. Also when out of print the things become open. IIRC  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm
Mongooseh
Dion Necurat
Mongooseh
Dion Necurat

Most pdf's are available off of torrent sites. Also when out of print the things become open. IIRC

The best I've been able to find is all supplemental sources, like the Star Trek Enterprise supplement.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:48 pm
Give me a mo I think I may of found it.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:56 pm
Looks like the same one even if the cover has been snipped at the bottom, scanned with avast, result: no threat found.

http://www.4shared.com/get/ZdpDtWM3/star_trek_rpg_-_tng_core_rules.html

Professional YO HO HO'ing  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:06 pm
Mongooseh
Looks like the same one even if the cover has been snipped at the bottom, scanned with avast, result: no threat found.

Nice. I'll have to find some supplements as well; have an interesting idea for an alternate universe where the UFP are the villains.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Dion Necurat
Mongooseh

Nice. I'll have to find some supplements as well; have an interesting idea for an alternate universe where the UFP are the villains.
I call ferngi!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm
The Number Three
Dion Necurat
Mongooseh

I call ferngi!

Would work, except they're a part of the UFP to some small capacity.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:55 pm
Are there rules for making custom alien races?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Kowsauni
Are there rules for making custom alien races?

Looks that way; it seems that its based on a 125-point buy.

I also found Memory Icon, which contains plenty of supplemental information.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 pm
Dion Necurat
The Number Three
Dion Necurat
Mongooseh

I call ferngi!

Would work, except they're a part of the UFP to some small capacity.
fine then I'll go with my fallback, the terrifying Tribble!!!!  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff