Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
RAIN PLAYS... ((Comments welcome!))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:17 pm
Okay, as some of you might know if you've been following my drama, I've recently moved across the country on my own, 3000 miles away from my family and not knowing anyone here in Las Vegas. Awesome for the independence, but since I'm not a gambler or partier, I can get a little bored.

As such, I've been researching various board games that are either single player, or cooperative multiplayer that can be turned into a "solitaire" game. I figure for some of them, it might be entertaining for me to type out my reactions as I fumble through them! I don't expect anyone but maybe Kytana to read these but I'm doing it for fun anyways.

Without further ado...

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape], Mission 1
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape], Mission 2, Attempt 1
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape], Mission 2, Attempt 2
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape], Mission 3
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape], Mission 4  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:26 pm
Rain plays Level 7 [Escape]

From the back of the box...

Quote:
EXPERIENCE A NEW LEVEL OF FEAR

Deep underground, in the middle of nowhere, lies Subterra Bravo - a top-secret military installation filled with unspeakable horrors of science gone wrong. Within its impenetrable depths, the masters of this fortified facility conduct gruesome experiments on innocent prisoners cruelly abducted from their otherwise ordinary lives.

You are a captive of Subterra Bravo, imprisoned in the facility's deepest laboratory, the hall of nightmares known as LEVEL 7. Your singular goal is to escape, but to do that you will have to evade the human and inhuman denizens of this subterranean labyrinth before the entire base is locked dock, sealing you in for the rest of your short, tormented life. Will you work together with your fellow prisoners to ensure Subterra Bravo's endless perils, or will you use them to secure your own escape? Ultimately, your chances of survival will depend on how well you manage your greatest weapon, which is also your greatest threat: fear itself.

LEVEL 7 [ESCAPE] is a semi-cooperative, story-driven survival-horror game for 1-4 players with nerves of steel and a willingness to confront the impossible.

Okay, I've never played this game before, nor have I heard of it. I'm a big fan of SCP though, as well as Resident Evil. This sounds like the best of both worlds. I've opened the box and organized/shuffled all the tokens and cards and stuff.

I'm going to read the rulebook on how to play, then start the very first mission in the Missions book. My next post will be my reactions as I get them to the story elements of the game and how they make me feel. I will edit the post each time something relevant happens, giving timestamps for all my reactions to the game. I'll take pictures too and upload them later.

Expect my torment to begin within the hour.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 pm
6:22 pm...

The rules have been read over. The mission is understood: I have awoken by accident from a large glass cylinder as a text subject when it deactivated. I find my personal effects nearby, and I un-nudify myself.

Suddenly an alarm goes off, and I see inhuman shadows begin to move towards me. BALLS!

User Image

You can see it in his face: "I am so f**king f**ked..."

My objective is to get to the elevator and blow this popsicle stand. There's an easy mode that gives me 5 hit points/cards, and a hard mode that only gives me 3 hit points/cards, but I'm sticking with normal mode (4) for now. I can use cards for temporary boosts (they're "adrenaline" cards), but if I ever run out, I die. In multiplayer I wouldn't, but this isn't the case, so I need to be careful. Whenever I'm attacked and hurt I also lose cards, but I draw a new one at the start of my turn up to my hand size (4). If I'm careful about this, I can succeed. We begin.

User Image

"Hmm... seems legit."

6:51 pm...

I had to re-look over some of the rules. Took me a few turns but I know what his scenario special rule means now, which is a plus.

Turn 1: I leave the main chamber. AN ALIEN CLIMBS OUT BEHIND ME. All the guards activate, but there aren't any.

Turn 2: I leave this new room. AN ALIEN CLIMBS OUT BEHIND ME. More guards activate, but they're STILL laying low, watching me on the monitors and playing Yakety Sax while they watch me run.

User Image

"Okay this isn't funny anymore!"

Turn 3: Hey an item room! OH WAIT this scenario doesn't allow us to have items. Oh well, what's in the next room? AN ALIEN TRIES TO BURST OUT OF THE VENTS AND EAT ME. I had to blow 2 of my 4 adrenaline cards to keep it sealed up, but while I was busy with that, the aliens that popped before begin to move towards me. Due to room placement rules, I have to connect rooms as much as I can, so they aren't really all that far...

User Image

Had to roll 3 Strengths (fists) on 2 dice. Got 1, gained a fear to roll an extra die and lost a fear to reroll 2 missed dice. JUST BARELY MADE IT. || this close to them coming out of the gorram walls!

7:06 pm...

Turn 4: Okay, let's see where this path takes me. OH LOOK IT LOOPS BACK AROUND TO THE STARTING CHAMBER WHERE THE ALIENS ARE. Oh man am I boned. But I don't have a chance, do I? Sitting here isn't finding me the elevator.

idea

My Sprinter skill lets me discard an adrenaline card for 1 extra movement! I can run into the main chamber and duck north before the creatures catch up to me! Brilliant!

A dead end.

Turn 5: Okay, not a TOTAL dead end. There's a vent I can climb through. An alien is standing in the doorway out of this room into the main chamber. Maybe if I follow this ventilation shaft, it'll lead me somewhere where I can make a safe break for it!

*traces the ventilation trails*

So... where I can exit is.......

The starting chamber -_-

User Image

This takes me back to my childhood and all those traumatic Chutes and Ladders games I never won.

Maybe the aliens won't know I'm there and won't move on their turn?

*CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK*

I... I think I lost them!

..... oh.

User Image

SNAKE EEEEEYYYYEEEESSS

7:20 pm...

Turn 6: When facing threats, you can either Fight them, Bull Rush them (forcing your way through them), or Outwit them. Since my guy is a Sneaky Sprinter (the two skills I drew), I figured I hid and slipped away successfully. My options are limited, so I head south. MORE ALIENS ARE COMING FOR MEEEE.

User Image

I watched Desert Punk recently. The first half of this clip sums up my current thoughts at the time exactly: ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAuWBF-Mt-4

Turn 7: Maybe I can find something useful down here? NOPE, LIGHTS OUT INSTEAD. Luckily I'm Sneaky so lights out doesn't bother me. The card read for flavor text, "I swear, I saw something turn out the lights!"

Turn 8: Breaking west. FINALLY a guard shows up. Guess where? In the lights out room. MYTH CONFIRMED: The guards are purposely messing with me. Scenario rules mean they don't fight the aliens, but if I knock a guard out an alien will coup-de-grace the guard and then it's on like donkey kong between them. Tempting, but I have to keep moving forward!

Turn 9: Reached a T-intersection that caused all enemies to move towards me for an event. At this point, the guard is leading a conga line of aliens.

... good for him.

User Image

/7 Come on, shake your body xenos, do the conga; I know you can't mind control me any longa; Feel the rhythm of the probing getting stronga; Don't you fight it 'til you tried it, eat that human, meat /7

My current problem is left or right. I know the same tile I'll draw no matter what regardless, BUT this intersection has a recurring Fear event so I'll get screwed if I have to double back. I think I'll head right/west and that way I can perhaps double back north to the starting chamber to avoid the recursion?

7:31 pm...

Turn 10: I come across a kind of difficult and sucky event that took away half my adrenaline cards. LUCKILY there's no existing enemy up in my grill, so I should be okay, right?

Turn 11: ELEVATAR!!! Just beyond that sucky room was the exit tile! The guards are supposed to flip their shite and rush the elevator and form a defensive position. However, that's mainly to bone all the OTHER players from getting in. Luckily, they were nameless NPCs I left in the starting chamber for the aliens to munch on! ^-^

Mission One... SUCCESS!

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 pm
REACTIONS

Okay, this was my first mission of Level 7. I've never even seen this game being played before. I had some unfortunate turns but most of it was stuff spawning "behind me". No, really, the cards had aliens spawning in "the tile I just left". As such, save for accidentally getting trapped (good to know there's dead ends!), monsters can only move one space as they hunt me down.

I think where this becomes a problem is in 2+ player games, because whether or not they move depends on the Event card that gets played every player's turn. So if events kept getting played that allowed Aliens actions, they'd move 2 spaces to your 2 spaces, always being hot on your heels. 3 players, you wouldn't be able to escape without some sort of card help.

Of course, there's rules about who they move after and you can very well sacrifice your friends to let yourself escape. Cooperative board games I could solitaire, but competitive ones become tricky. As such, my Rain Plays will continue to be solo in Level 7, at least for the time being.

Mind you, there ARE disadvantages for single player. In 2+ player games, if a player loses all their Adrenaline cards, they get knocked out and wake up in the medlab with their hand size reduced by 1 (5 to 4, 4 to 3, but 3 to death). However, if EVERY (remaining) active player is in the Medlab, it's game over. In single player, you ARE "every active player", so you can get poochscrewed REALLY quickly.

There's I think 7 missions total and I'll try another. Maybe the first is kind of a "warm-up" mission? Maybe I just got lucky. Maybe I'm just really good! Plenty of boning left to be done to me! : D

It'll be harder to do the play-by-play in a multiplayer game but I'll let you guys know how that turns out too.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Okay, I've been wanting to play more and I haven't really ever found the time. I'm making time, darn it! There's 7 scenarios and I want to get through them!

An interesting bit I hadn't realized before. The first Scenario was: "Scenario 1 [Level 7] A New Level of Fear".

We had my character running from a conga-line of bad until finding an elevator up. I assumed the next scenario would be an effective "alternate universe" style where your character would be independent of your previous one. But NOPE!

This next one is called:

Scenario 2 [Level 6] Reactivate The Elevators

The premise:

My character has made it to the elevator just as the soldiers (and possibly an alien creature) is about to bear down on me. My character panics and hits ALL the buttons! The elevator doors close and lurches upwards just as they start to try to pry it open. I'M IN THE FRIGGIN' CLEAR YES!

Then they cut the power.

Oh screw you, abductors/alien sympathizers. Screw you all.

I climb out the top and there is a panel that reads "EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN PROCEDURE INITIATED. AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL: ACCESS MAINTENANCE TERMINALS TO REROUTE POWER."

Well, that's handy to know. First thing today that's gone right!

... what's a maintenance terminal?

Keep reading to find out!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 pm
10:31 pm - I've recapped the rules and set everything up. Time for ADVENTURE!

Also, based on my start-up, I may be completely bollocksed on this one.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

10:37 pm - Turn 1: The Professor follows some advice he heard from a woman years ago, of "Real Men Turn Left!" His faithfulness to that advice nets him a flashlight! On top of that, no one seems to have noticed he's here yet.

User Image

Turn 2: Okay, that went kind of okay. If I keep this up I just might Oh hey this room looks important! No panels but there's this really neat lever. What if I
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTR-

You know what? Nah, I'm not interested thanks. Oooooh that's scuttling in the walls. I ever do love wall-scuttling. Please be on the other side of that thing and just not behind those pipes?

User Image

User Image

10:52 pm - Turn 3: Hey, this next chamber looks like the last one, just less enginey parts. I'm sure THIS lever won't betr
INTRUDE-
Yeah no. Screw you levers. I need to find some buttons. Buttons I can trust. The jury's still out on dials though.

Turn 4: Oooo Armory. My last mission didn't have item cards. What's in THIS box?

User Image

CHRISTMAS!

Turn 5: Eh, another turned-off elevator. That'll do me no good. Guess I should just keep goin-
K-CHUNK!

The power's off. How do you even lock like that?! gonk

User Image

Either I try to bust my way through the door and face those... things that were chasing after me with those hungry eyes... or I can keep this door locked and find a different way back. Yeah, let's do that second thing. I have a doctorate, time to show it!

User Image

11:00 pm Turn 6: Eww, I don't want to know what they were doing in this laboratory. But more doors means not having to backtrack! Come onnnn, access panel!

... oh. It's a guard chilling out in the sick bay.

User Image

I... kind of wish I didn't have my gun out when I burst through this door.

This next turn is probably going to be messy. I *could* run for it, but he kind of has a gun too.

11:10 pm Turn 7: F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K!

There's too much blood! And the gun wasn't silenced! EVERYONE must have heard it! Crap, I can't afford to make one more mistake or I'm done for. If I even ATTACK a guard, the whole place will be locked down.

I can't stay here though, someone is bound to come and investigate. I need to get out of here. AND I'M LEAVING THIS GUN.

Turn 8: RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN oh look it's someone coming to investigate. And I'm covered with blood. SOMEONE ELSE'S BLOOD. But hey at least I'm not armed. That's gotta count for something, right?

User Image

OH GDI HIS GUN IS FULLY AUTOMATIC MY PRECIOUS ADRENALINE CARDS.

User Image

11:20 - Turn 9: OH THANK GOD. Another guard showed up to help his friend gun me down, but the door locked behind me. This keeps me from getting immediately DYING, but I think I might be close to where I started, which means those creatures might find their way to me yet...

User Image

11:26 pm - Turn 10: The only safe door? LEADS TO A DEAD END. WHICH IS ALSO THE INCINERATOR.

So my only choice is to try to get past those guards waiting for me and OH LOOK GUARDS HAVE THE PASSWORD FOR THE DOOR.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

11:42pm - THIS GAME!

Okay I've lost track of the turns, I think turns 11-13? I hid in the incinerator, waiting for the guards to get actions to unlock the door and come in after me.

User Image

They FINALLY do... and get a double action this turns, which means they trap me in the Incinerator and almost gun me down, AGAIN.

I manage to slip past the first, and get tangled with the second as he tries to capture me. This is turn 14 now, and I use the very last of my mojo without sacrificing my last adrenaline card (and hit point) to escape... and BARELY squirm away from the guard!

Then he follows me and tries to gun me down. The dice are 2 Might, 2 Speed, 2 Intellect, 1 Of Each, 1 Of Each, 1 Of Each. If he rolls 2 or more might on 3 dice (66% chance of there being at least one on one die) I'm dead, game over.

HIS GUN JAMS! No mights!

I still have a chance!

User Image

11:59pm - Turn 15: I run for it! However, there are aliens and guards on the same space and they start infighting. Guards now consider aliens to be problematic and will hunt them down if they happen to be closer. YAY! I found a medkit and a stun rod, which will help me if worse comes to worse. Also, TWO of the three access panels I need to... er, access!

User Image

User Image

Bad news is, the alien is mopped up and a guard shows up where I am.

Turn 16: I run back to the first access panel I skipped because now I'm prime target numero uno again. I quickly flip all the switchs and everything goes green. The guards don't seem to notice!

Turn 17: I run BACK to the room I just came from an attempt to do the same thing, COMPLETELY ignoring the guard in favor of the access panel. He kind of... uh... hit me with the butt of his rifle as I was pushing buttons and I kiiiind of activated the Lockdown protocols with a bad dice roll >_>

User Image

I now have 3 turns to activate this switch (one turn's action), find another switch and activate it, then somehow make it back through this labyrinth to the starting elevator to escape!

;_;

User Image

12:10 am - Turn 18: First order of business. BEAT THIS GUARD TO DEATH. I couldn't before because it would activate Lockdown BUT WHO CARES NOW?! Ahahahahaha!

9 combat dice! Guess where this stun stick is going? SPOILER ALERT: THE ANSWER IS "WHERE THE STUN DON'T SHINE"! AHAHAHAHAHA!!

User Image

Turn 19: Whew! That was therapeutic. Now about this access panel. All I had left to do was hit this last button on the sequence, and... done! Now I just need to find the last one. I should have plenty of time before the rest of the guards get through this d-

Oh, hey. It's the rest of the guards...

This... This isn't nearly as bad as it looks.

User Image

~Fin~

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:38 am
In reaction to the first mission.

User Image

Hey! Who turned out the lights?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 pm
Analysis: I don't know if Mission 1 was just much easier than Mission 2, or I just got lucky on the 1st one. I'm thinking it's the second one.

The game allows you to potentially stack on Might bonuses in a pinch, which is good to know. Intellect or Speed bonuses, that's less likely. I think the safe thing to do, would be to play up the Stealth angle in EVERY mission.

At least, in any mission that has such a limited Threat Pool. If they're all like this one, I can either fight one guard one time, and that's it. It'd be nice to try a mission with a large threat pool though, so I can just murder my way to freedom. LIKE AN AMERICAN.

I'm going to re-attempt this mission, but I will not do it as a play-by-play post like I did above. I'll give a 1-2 paragraph summary of the significant events, and what kind of strategies worked (or didn't work), and what things went horribly wrong. Hopefully I'll be a bit more knowledgeable and prepared for Mission 3 before I post that one.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 am
Scenario 2 [Level 6] Reactivate The Elevators
Attempt 2

One thing I've learned is that I misremembered one rule. Enemies that activate on their turn (based on event cards) either attack, move, or stand up if knocked out, in that order. I remembered that enemies move, and if they end their turn on their target, they attack. That's wrong.

Instead, if an enemy does attack on my turn, they get bonus dice for each similar enemy of that type on that space, even if that enemy moved. The tricky part would be trying to sneak by or fight past an enemy, and failing. You end your turn, and they attack back on their turn no matter what.

This will still make things a bit easier on me though. Back to the game, then breakfast!

Also, MFW I got an item card from a room, it was a gun, then a guard popped in the same room. I dropped that gun sooo fast. I'll grab it on the way back through if I need it.

RECAP: So I came into a lot of item cards right away. My choices were a gun, a scalpel, and a flashlight. Gun helps me kill things good, scalpel kills things less good but doubles as a "key", and flashlight saves me from fear penalties from darkness.

I ended up going with the flashlight and scalpel for a long time. And boy howdy did that flashlight save me. I kept getting darkness events which increase my fear which subtracts from my Brainy dice pool and adds to my Punchy dice pool. I had a lot of guards following me through the northern sector and I ducked through a vent system and lost them, popping out near the start.

I veered south and found the last 2 access panels I needed (the first was just before I popped in the vent). I also found my first alien clone, which saved me a lot of headaches too - almost all the events I had drawn up to that point gave aliens bonuses and there weren't any.

I found an item called a Map Fragment which allowed me to look at the top three tiles, put one on the bottom and place the other two where I wanted, which gave me a nice exit to the elevator. I decided I had gone this long and lockdown shouldn't be an issue and I grabbed my scalpel and went psycho on the first guard I saw (rather than sneak past him). I was upset at the lack of damage I did, instead just incapacitating him.

Then I drew an event where guards activated TWICE. Which means the guard stood up AND attacked me, and the guard in the next room moved in AND attacked me.

Oof!

The only reason I won is because the second guard whiffed on his attack roll. Otherwise, I would have died 1 space away from the reactivated elevator! I had an adrenaline card that gave me +2 Toughness vs one attack so that helped too. Both things.

I guess that's the cost of my violent hubris!

Next time, I will participate with a play-by-play for Mission 3!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:30 pm

I have If I'm Going Down and Sentinels of the Multiverse is on its way, so I want to get through the missions as quickly as I can. Not much is going on today so let's see if I can get through a couple!

Okay, a bit about "threat tokens". Each mission gives you a pool of threat tokens you can work through, usually X+Y, where X is the number if players and Y is an arbitrary number, like 1-3. Not a lot, as you can see in my first run of Mission 2. You get a timer to finish the game if you ever run out of Threat Tokens as they lockdown the facility and trap you.

So far the missions have required stealth. I was curious and intended to flip through the rest of the missions to simply check the Threat Pool to see if they would ALL be stealth-focused. The first one I opened up to was Mission 3...

Scenario 3 [Level 5] The Hybrids

The premise:

I get back to the elevator thinking I'm in the clear. As I look up through the grated ceiling, I realize I'm not.

Getting off at Level 5, I bump into a geeky-looking scientist! He sasses me. It ends as well for him as you might think...

Apparently, aliens have come from [REDACTED] back in [REDACTED] and are here for [REDACTED], and in exchange, the US Government got [REDACTED] in return.

But enough about exposition! I need an EXIT! Apparently, I can't get up from here due to how heavily guarded the elevator is, and only personnel escorted by elite guards can enter it.

This means this mission is all about... SURPRISE BIRTHDAY SUIT INSPECTIONS! emotion_kirakira I mean, I need to take someone's elite guard uniform.

Oh, and apparently there are some "hybrids" that are sent out at the end of the prologue. That's probably a bad thing.

Based on the objective, it looks like I'll have to trick the Hybrids into taking down the Elite Guards in place of myself and THEN take their uniforms. It doesn't detail really much more than that, but personally, convincing the most dangerous predator in this level into hunting down people who dress a certain way, THEN DRESSING THAT SAME WAY strikes me as a terrible plan.

LET'S DO IT ANYWAYS!

At least I have a Threat Pool of 24! eek  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 pm
3:57pm - Mission rules read up, setup complete. I got a REALLY handy skill this time around. I need to find a Hybrid, rather than let them find me. I have to be in the next room with Fear 7-8 so they flip out and kill their handlers. The handy skill is "Zen" which lets me raise or lower my fear by 1 every turn.

Hybrids fight differently than Clones or Guards. If they damage you, they don't take away adrenaline cards but instead raise your fear. If they knock you above 8 fear, you get knocked out (or die in single player). Since I need to be at 7-8 in the NEXT ROOM, this is VERY RISKY.

My new escapee is ready to go! EXCELSIOR!

User Image

User Image

User Image

4:07pm - A lot of empty and uneventful rooms. One event added some tiles from the bottom of the last stack to the top of the first so I have to go through more rooms before I can find the elevator. Also, I just had an event that added a clone in the room I just came from, or 2 if my fear is really high. Guess who got her fear really high right away on purpose? -_-

User Image

4:11pm - RUN!

User Image

4:19pm - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

User Image

User Image

User Image

4:22pm - THERE ARE NO CONNECTING VENTS! NO DOORS I COULD DOUBLE BACK TO! I AM COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY BOLLOCKSED HERE! THE ONLY REASON THERE AREN'T MORE ENEMIES ON THE TABLE IS BECAUSE I RAN OUT OF TOKENS!

4:25pm - I FOUND THE EXIT ELEVATOR! BUT I CANNOT ENTER WITHOUT THE RIGHT UNIFORM! THAT MEANS I AM COMPLETELY TRAPPED AND HAVE TO FIGHT MY WAY OUT!

User Image

4:30pm - BERSERKER RAGE! Maybe if I kill the guard he'll give me a good weapon! NOPE! A FLASHLIGHT!

User Image

4:35pm - RRRRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

User Image

4:39pm - It cost me all my adrenaline cards but I bull rushed past EVERYONE! I have one card left! AND THE EVENT MADE EVERYONE ACTIVATE so they're still hot on my heels! NO MORE DEAD ENDS PLZ!

User Image

User Image

User Image

4:43pm - YES YES YES YES! HYBRID AND HIS ESCORTS! I'M SO PUMPED UP ON ADRENALINE NOW! EVERYONE IS ABOUT TO TURN ON EACH OTHER! HEEEEEEEEE!

User Image

User Image

4:51pm - I have 7 threat, the Hybrid has 8. I barely managed to sneak away from a guard and they're ignoring me for the hybrid! LUCKY EVENT! No clones activate, and the hybrid and guards are killing each other instead! *goes to see how it turns out*

User Image

5:04pm - Got my uniform 4laugh Now I just need to get BACK to the elevator! THERE'S SO MUCH CHAOS! It's a pain trying to push through warring factions. ;_;

User Image

User Image

5:08pm - Holy crap! O_O I thought those guards would last as distractions for a WEE bit longer than that. Now its 6 clones, a hybrid, and the princess!

User Image

You know what princesses do in compromising situations like this, right? BULL RUSH! I HEART YOU DOUBLE STUN STICK + AMBIDEXTERITY FEAT!

5:12pm - Thank the lord! A guard showed up as part of an event and scared off one clone (in the other direction) and gunned another one down! The flavor text of "Now THAT'S my tax dollars at work!" was all too true! I have a clear shot from here to the elevator. CAN I DO EET?

5:15 - Yes, Mr. Fellow Elite Guard. I do work here. Here's my Elite Guard uniform and everything cool

I beat the mission! All the enemies started screwing each other and I managed to slip by in all the chaos!

User Image

User Image

BUT OH GAWD WAS THAT A STRESSFUL MISSION! ;_;  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:18 pm
Analysis:

That mission was... different, from the rest. Definitely a bigger strain on the ol' ticker! Though it's nice to know that even when the game conspires against you, determination and true grit can still win you the day!

I never want to see that many enemies on the board at once again ._.

But I have 4 more missions. I don't think I get that luxury.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:03 pm

That went well! I'm warming up a pizza in the oven now, and I'll do one more tonight!

Let's see what the fourth mission holds for us, eh?

Scenario 4 [Level 4] Out Of The Frying Pan

The premise:

Ding! The elevator opens and there are guards at the checkpoint, watching monitors of the bloodbath downstairs. They turn to ask me what's going on down there.

Princess Poopsherself looks around and goes, "This isn't hardware, children's wear, NOR lingerie..."

The guards realize that I'm not who I say I am, and hit the alarm. The jig's up! For all the good this stupid uniform did...

ALIENS ARE COMING UP THE ELEVATOR SHAFT. GUARDS ARE LOCKING THE DOORS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I'M GOING. Rather than keep the protective suit, I ditch it and start wandering the halls aimlessly, looking for a map.

On the plus side, the guards and aliens start off killing each other rather than working together. That's nice.

I got a Science Whiz skill that gives me +1 Intellect and a reroll on challenges done in rooms that are laboratories. I also got Bookworm which gives me +2 Intellect but -1 Toughness. So base, I'm rolling 5 dice, 6 if I get my fear down 1 notch from the get go. Good for sneaking by guards, good for all the Intelligence challenges I have to do this mission.

... the -1 Toughness (down to 0) is bad for when I have to climb through superheated vents and take damage from an environmental attack roll >_>'

I'll see how I do after dinner!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:16 pm
9:15pm - ADVENTURE!

9:24pm - The first few turns are uneventful. The VERY FIRST room I checked adjacent to this elevator area was... another elevator. OI! Not what I need, especially since they're turned off!

User Image

One guard popped and took a shot at me, but I had my defenses up (an adrenaline card spent for toughness) and I managed to escape with only minor injuries (1 card, easily replaced). I'm on the run now. Another guard tried to pop, but I beat the Intelligence challenge event to send him back to reserves. No sign of aliens yet. I continue to explore, looking for a map and the incinerator room.

User Image

9:39pm - Things are kind of quiet o_o

User Image

I found the incinerator in the southern half, then veered north. I need a map fragment to get to the incinerator control room via ventilation shaft, which involves passing an Intellect 5 challenge on a tile that grants items. I got one right away. The next tile had ANOTHER item grant, and I tried for a second map for the general map use. Failed ;_;

The THIRD tile in the row had ANOTHER item grant and got that map fragment I wanted, to help me find a ventilation opening o_o

User Image

Bad news: Event gave me a tough choice. A guard spawned in my square, and I either gained 3 fear, or lock a door to an unexplored part of the map. I wanted to keep my fear down, but if I tried to unlock the door, I wouldn't be able to make an Outwit challenge to escape the guard, so I'd be a sitting duck for a turn. I *had* to take the Fear option... Hopefully things will keep being quiet!

User Image

9:46pm - Good news: I did get a tile with a ventilation shaft opening. When I use it, I can go to the incinerator control chamber (attached to that tile) and open the chute that brings me up a floor. Using a map lets you look at the top 3 tiles, put 2 back on top and 1 on bottom. It's the next one, so I'm backtracking to a room CLOSE to the incinerator so I can make a quick break for it once I open the chute.

Some guards are trying to stop me. Little do they realize I am BRAINY PRINCESS.

User Image

User Image

10:15pm - I haven't made that many reports, nor did I take that many pictures. I jumped into the vents, made it to the incinerator room. A hybrid spawned where I started and started making its way over. I turned the dial to 11... er, to zero (who would want to go into an incinerator while it's set to 11) on my first shot, and climbed back out. I ended up trying to bull-rush my way through and made it to the square before.

User Image

User Image

User Image

A guard on the same square as me took a few pot shots and luckily did only a scratch. A second hybrid showed up and the rest went "OH SH-" and ran to intercept.

User Image

User Image

User Image

I casually walked into the incinerator chute and monkey'd my way up there, no sweat. All in all, a fairly painless mission o_o

User Image

~Fin~  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:03 pm
Analysis:

That mission went... surprisingly painlessly! I thought the -1 Toughness would hurt a LOT but I got a bunch of no-enemy-spawn events and alien-spawn-but-no-tiles-to-spawn-them-on events. Even those not one but TWO guard challenges I got where I had to pass an Intelligence check to make a guard go away from the map helped a lot.

There was supposed to be a lot of hot guard-on-alien action going on but they all had eyes for me me me. I think it would have been very different if there was actual crossfire I had to crawl under, but what are you going to do? Definitely not going back.

4 levels down, 3 to go!  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff