Submit

The Dr Waffle

Original Ladykiller

29,475 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:39 pm
I hasn't been active like ever since the random guild invite...XD...but i feel like i can use you FELLOWslavesGUILD MEMBERS....ahem...i mean im trying to raise enough money to buy a new computer than the one i use....preferable about 10 years newer than mine...XD....and a tablet so i need about..a lot of cash but im not sure how to set up a RLC Commison store...XD.....i need help on tips or what nots on how i should price my art or how i can get THE PEOPLE'SmoneyHELP so i can do this....i has samples on DA but the recent sketches pushed my finished art works to like pages 2-3 soo...XD....e~O....HELP ME  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 am
I BE THE WAFFLE

Here is what I'd recommend:

Start inexpensive and raise your prices once you get an idea of what you're art is worth. It's much easier to raise prices than drop them (except for a sale). Consider how long it takes you to draw a picture and OBJECTIVELY look at your level of skill, polish, and detail. If I were you, I would start by charging around $5 for your sketches. You'll probably get more than that eventually but if you start cheap, your early commissioners will feel like they got a good deal. Starting cheap also takes some pressure off of you while you figure out how all this works.

Be professional. That means, well, typing professionally. Use complete sentences and proper punctuation and limit posting styles/font changes. Be timely and communicative. Be friendly.

Be proactive. Go to the Req forums of Gaia and poke around, looking specifically for people who are asking for RL commissions. I will sometimes post in threads that don't say they are taking RL commissions, but only if I adore the character they want drawn. Try not to make it too much of a habit. If you can draw furries, check out furaffinity. I know that for a lot of freelancers, furaffinity pays the bills. (If you had a huge following on Gaia or dA it wouldn't be as necessary to be proactive, but you -- like me -- seem like you're going to have to work for it.)

Set up your Paypal, of course!

Be willing to work with your commissioners! This doesn't mean you have to accept everything that comes along (I've turned commissions down before, because I don't think I could do a good job or if I thought I would HATE doing the commission.) But if someone comes to you with a commission and they don't have quite enough money but an awesome character... give it a try. Consider what it would cost to add a complex background. Etc.

Look at how other people do it. I've got a link in my sig to my commission info, check that out. And then check out some other ones. Go to the Req forum and look at the other people posting in RL commission threads and you'll get an idea of what others are doing.

Continue to take Gaia commissions, at least at first. It's good advertising. biggrin

There's probably more but that's a good start. :3 Good luck!  

Shestval
Vice Captain

Bilge rat

demon blurry eyes

Star Reindeer

16,675 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm
Everything Shestval said is good advice.

Just wanted to add, be careful with RLC on Gaia since it's against the rules to an extent, you can mention/link it but the actual transaction and things should really be done elsewhere like DA or something.
Quote:
Art can only be sold on Gaia for Gaia Gold and items.

Selling art for real cash on Gaia is not permitted. You may link in your thread to a webpage that has your cash commission options but you may not advertise it or directly take commissions for cash on gaia.

Artist Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games