Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Children in Wedlock

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PSM Guild Mule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 pm
User Image

"The people who get married but want no children are sinning. They are rejecting God's design of marriage and what is often called the First Great Commission - Be fruitful and multiply; have dominion over the earth, etc. Those who are infertile have committed no sin by marrying, but are suffering from the corruption of the whole creation. I imagine infertile parents desperately want children and are feeling their helplessness in a fallen world. We should not define marriage according to the brokenness of creation or the exceptions, but according to God's ordering of his creation since the beginning of time. "

I have never heard of the notion that choosing to not have children in marriage is a sin. I think this is ridiculous. Has anyone heard this? What do you think? What are your scriptural views on this notion?

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am
Sorry I can't really give an answer, because I really just..don't know. I think there can be scripture to support both sides. For the first side, the verse "Be fruitful and multiply", it is a command and for the second side, Where is it in the NT, Christ didn't remention it like the commandments, we are under a new covenent and law.

I personally don't want my own kids. Anything having to do with biology gets me all squirmy and in a panic. So you can imagine how health class and that chapter of science class went for me. >.< I think that the birth of a child and how from just two people in love, a whole new human being can just grow in there is a beautiful thing. However, it scares me. I get all squirmy and it's just..ehh.

I want to adopt though and feel I am called to do that and definitely know I am called to work with foster children either as a counselor, CPS worker or both. I figure, if I get married, and my husband says "Hey hunny...I kind of would really like my own kid." Then sure. I will do it for him. But only one kid. >.< I just, am not comfortable with the thought of something in me like that. It's weird and very uncomfortable to me. : (

Also, there are so many children that are already here and without family. I kind of think it's a little responsible for some of these parents to not use any kind of birth control and creating more children. If they want another child, if they have room in their home and heart, then I would want them to adopt. Christ told us to take care of the widows and orphans as well as tell the whole world of His truth and salvation. Two birds with one stone. Adoption is one of our greatest tools of evangelism and I just pray that more Chrisatians would take advantage of it. I understand that not all people can do that. It's just not in their heart/ tehy just are incapabe of bonding with the child unless it is their own.. Not everyone can adopt. But money should never be an issue. First, I really haven't been able to look into it more, but apparently if you just go straight through the system, it won't cost anything. The problem is that, in adoptions everyone is looking for a cute little infant or toddler. There isn't too many of those in the system, but if you keep all your options open and just say "I want to give a child a family" then there's a difference. Also, going through the foster system first is a good way to know the kids beforehand and see if you bond with them. Then later on, you can go back the goverment and finalize.

So I went on a super long post here that is more simply about adoption then making babies. >.< Sorry. But I think maybe that it should all be taken in prayer. Also, just some couples hate kids. They prefer pets as kids maybe, I don't think they should have kids then. If they're saved, I don't think they'll be beating their kid, but the love really might not be there. Some people who hate kids, have a kid and love them while others do end up hating them (and then foster system : l) Again, I think especially in this latter situation, it should be in prayer. <3

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 am
Subliminal Aftermath
User Image

"The people who get married but want no children are sinning. They are rejecting God's design of marriage and what is often called the First Great Commission - Be fruitful and multiply; have dominion over the earth, etc. Those who are infertile have committed no sin by marrying, but are suffering from the corruption of the whole creation. I imagine infertile parents desperately want children and are feeling their helplessness in a fallen world. We should not define marriage according to the brokenness of creation or the exceptions, but according to God's ordering of his creation since the beginning of time. "

I have never heard of the notion that choosing to not have children in marriage is a sin. I think this is ridiculous. Has anyone heard this? What do you think? What are your scriptural views on this notion?

User Image
It's stupid and childish. This world is already overpopulated. If you really want to have children, at this point, the more moral option is to adopt.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 am
False Dichotomy
Subliminal Aftermath
User Image

User Image
It's stupid and childish. This world is already overpopulated. If you really want to have children, at this point, the more moral option is to adopt.

Yes, but sometimes people want to have their own children.

Adoption is a good option for people like br1anna, who don't want kids- but how about the people who do?

I know that when I get married, I'll probably want to have kids.

It's not stupid- or childish. It's natural for most couples to want to have children.

But, I don't agree that it is a sin to have no children. People can do that if they want- I don't see how it matters to God whether we have kids or not. Unless it's by cheating on someone, then it's bad.  

CheckeredPineapple

Timid Warrior

9,850 Points
  • Ally Up 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Market Browser 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 am
Smileygirlpersonthingy
False Dichotomy
Subliminal Aftermath
User Image

User Image

Yes, but sometimes people want to have their own children.

Adoption is a good option for people like br1anna, who don't want kids- but how about the people who do?

I know that when I get married, I'll probably want to have kids.

It's not stupid- or childish. It's natural for most couples to want to have children.

But, I don't agree that it is a sin to have no children. People can do that if they want- I don't see how it matters to God whether we have kids or not. Unless it's by cheating on someone, then it's bad.
I didn't say it's stupid or childish to want to have your own children, I said it is to think that all marriage requires such things.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 am
Sorry for reading it wrong. redface  

CheckeredPineapple

Timid Warrior

9,850 Points
  • Ally Up 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Market Browser 100

Daughter of Xion

Dedicated Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:20 pm
I've never read anywhere that says not having children is a sin. If they were married and found out they couldn't have children, would that be frowned upon? Maybe sometimes it's for the best that some adults don't have children, maybe they don't feel they are suited for the job. God's design was that sex was to be reserved for marriage, and I believe that is the only rule regarding that subject.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 pm
Br1ttana
Sorry I can't really give an answer, because I really just..don't know. I think there can be scripture to support both sides.

Agreed. The Bible could be compared to the Constitution in a way. One popular view of Constitutional Law is that a Supreme Court justice can pick and chose precedents and evidence to support their opinion.

This is probably exacerbated by Bible, which was written allegorically and poetically in many ways... and has had far more people studying it, and is far, far longer.  

Arcosi Knight

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:23 pm
Daughter of Xion
I've never read anywhere that says not having children is a sin. If they were married and found out they couldn't have children, would that be frowned upon? Maybe sometimes it's for the best that some adults don't have children, maybe they don't feel they are suited for the job. God's design was that sex was to be reserved for marriage, and I believe that is the only rule regarding that subject.

Yeah I agree, I don't know where the OP got that quote from, but it definitely wasn't derived from anything Jesus said.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm
I never heard such a notion before.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash