Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Tower of the Bright Ones (4e Homebrew) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:02 am
Okay, so I didn't think I'd post this so soon after joining. (Also figured I'd get to play a game before trying to run one.) But I'm just too antsy, I guess. I have run this before, but I want to see how different players tackle the story. So here's the run down.

[ Character Sheets ]

1] Diamanda Iothar, Deva Swordmage by AlphabetFish
2] Belmorn Soundinghorn, Eladrin Cleric by Arc Vembris
3] Mika Beastborn, Elf Barbarian by Callsigncaboose
4] Ka Natash, Kalashtar Psion by Roilvn Whiro

[ Premise/Foreword ]
xxxThis game is based directly off the DnD lore set out by the 4th Edition books. It is intended to run a party of characters from low level all the way up to Epic tier. However, the cast of characters is pretty specific. So basically, I'm looking for 4 people who are willing to put up with my guidelines at the beginning and are also willing to not go dormant without at least a warning first.

[ Setting Information/Background ]
xxxWhen the primordials created the world, they did so out of the remaining bits of creation from the First Day. They separated the bits; some were too dark and foreboding while others were too bright and energetic. The remaining mundane bits coalesced into the world, but the bits which had been separated coalesced as well. The dark bits became the Shadowfell and the bright bits became the Feywild: two worlds, distorted echoes of the first one.
xxxWhen the gods saw what the primordials had made, they were fascinated. They set out to tame the roiling elements and create life upon the world. With these changes, the echoes of the world changed as well, and all three were populated by their own appropriate examples of life.
xxxAnd so came to be the picture of the universe as it exists today. This mortal plane with its two echoes lays delicately balanced between the realms of creation. Above is the Astral Sea, home of the gods, and below is the Elemental Chaos, the realm of the primordials. It is this arrangement in itself which is the source of some magical power. (See page 161 in the DMG for a rough approximation.)

[ Game Introduction/Plot ]
xxxThe Tower of the Bright Ones is a shining white bastion of knowledge and progress located near a sea-side cliff and surrounded by forestland, far removed from other civilized areas. Originally, it was built as a combined shrine for Pelor, Corellon, Erathis, and Ioun. However, as the years progressed, it became a beacon for magical scholars from around the world to gather and learn in concert. Nearly every discipline of magical knowledge can be found at the Tower. Because of this, and its geographical location, even followers of other gods gather here to exchange knowledge and further their magical understandings.
xxxIt is at this tower where four friends live their days in peace and research, even if some of their pasts did not always permit such luxuries. During their varied studies, it became apparent that there was some kind of minor disturbance with the methods of magical manifestation. It seemed only intermittent, but was puzzling enough to warrant extensive investigation on the nature of the disturbance. So it was that they found that some unknown factor was affecting the magical distribution contributed by the arrangement of the planes.
xxxAlarmed at the implications of such a discovery, the four scholars approached the resident fortune teller for insights into what might be the cause. Her scrying revealed only minor crumbs of information, but one morsel seemed concrete enough to relay: the Order of the Unchained Soul. A sect lies in some ruins which can be found approximately halfway between the Tower and the nearest city, Bronzin. Seek out this organization, for the answers you seek begin there.

[ Character Creation ]
xxxAs is necessary for the story, the characters are from varied magical backgrounds. One character should be Arcane, another Divine, Primal, and one Psionic. Also note, the characters are all friends/acquaintances to the point where they would work in tandem to discover that the planes are misaligned. This is a Tower of scholars. As such, most of the Primal power source characters are difficult to fit into the setting. Whoever wants to tackle the roleplaying aspect of fitting a nature-lover into a tower full of civilization-loving magic users gets a cookie (read as: possible bonus). Certain classes from the other power sources are tricky to explain into the story as well. (I'm looking at you Paladin and Avenger.) Please feel free to talk to each other when planning which character you want to build.

Available Sources: PHB1-3, Eberron, Forgotton Realms, Essentials, Power Books, Adventurer's Vaults, and Mordenkainen. Dragon Magazine if you have it.
Banned Resources: No Shadow. No Demonic-based powers.

ECL: Characters begin at level 4.
Wealth: Level 2 Magic Item, Level 3 Magic Item, 2 Potions of Healing, 850g.
Races: Any from PHB1-3.
Ability Scores*: Choose one of these 3 arrays: 18 15 14 12 11 8
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx17 16 14 13 10 10
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx16 15 15 14 12 8
xxxxxxxxxxx*Edit: Almost forgot. Intelligence needs to be a minimum of 13 after racial modifiers.
Hit Points: Max first level. Roll the rest. Oh wait, it's 4e, duh.
Alignments: No Evil.
Pantheon: As laid out in PHB1 (and DMG).
Backgrounds: Please have some kind of background, which obviously eventually leads up to your stay at the Tower. I would love to put in a character-centric sidequest for each player which would be informed by each character's backstory, thereby creating character development not necessarily based on the over-arcing campaign.

[ House/Optional Rules ]
1] The Psionic character may have Dungeoneering as a class skill, if they didn't already, and they must have it trained. (All Far-Realm creature knowledge rolls require this skill.) Similarly, Arcane must train Arcana, and Primal must train Nature.
2] If you have access to them, feel free to utilize themes and/or backgrounds to add flavor to your characters.
3] I am fully willing to allow power re-writes which alter cosmetic or minor mechanic features.
4] As the story progresses, more options will open up, along with possibly more spots in the party. So if the starting guidelines scare you off, feel free to wait until things become less stringent.

Here's hoping I'm not laughed off for my presumptions. And PLEASE feel free to ask questions if there's something you're not certain of.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am
Put me down as interested for the Arcane. I'll look more into it when I get home.  

Gideon Commando

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm
I have to say X, tis a very intriguing concept, but truthfully I do well in a less structured environment. The more restrictions there are, the harder it is for me to survive.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm
Callsigncaboose
I have to say X, tis a very intriguing concept, but truthfully I do well in a less structured environment. The more restrictions there are, the harder it is for me to survive.

Yeah, I've heard that about this campaign before. It's why I was concerned about finding people. But, I do personally like restrictions, it helps to focus me in a specific direction. So I figured there were a lot of potential players here, and the ones who don't mind flexing around the initial rules are free to apply, while the ones who get scared by all that can keep their distance.

I will say, however, that I left the requirements just a little vague. I didn't exactly lay out the banned resources very specifically. That gives the bolder player the opportunity to ask about stuff I didn't address, and I am more than willing to let someone do whatever they want, as long as they have a good story for it. I think that should be the only real and largest restriction. If you want to play something just a bit out of bounds of the guidelines, the least you can do is roleplay a reason for it.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 pm
Is that a challenge X? If it is, I shall tackle the Primal Character.... Though be warned... They may be B-Polar  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:09 pm
Callsigncaboose
Is that a challenge X? If it is, I shall tackle the Primal Character.... Though be warned... They may be B-Polar

Bear, Polar? that sounds like an awesome character

I'm interested too, I'm dying to use themes ever.

Any Heroes of Elemental Chaos or Feywild allowed?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:15 pm
Callsigncaboose

I'm sure you're worthy of it. smile Oh, and if it helps, the Tower is surrounded by forest on one side and a seaside cliff on the other.

Arc Vembris

That I can only answer with a maybe. I won't have access to my books until after I'm off work in a couple hours. Class-wise, there shouldn't be an issue, but I don't remember if there's races in there that may need extra story added. At the moment, though, every spot has possibly been claimed but the Divine character. Depending on what roles get filled, I may allow overlap for an extra character, so I will definitely get back to you.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 am
WhimsicalXellos
Callsigncaboose

I'm sure you're worthy of it. smile Oh, and if it helps, the Tower is surrounded by forest on one side and a seaside cliff on the other.

Arc Vembris

That I can only answer with a maybe. I won't have access to my books until after I'm off work in a couple hours. Class-wise, there shouldn't be an issue, but I don't remember if there's races in there that may need extra story added. At the moment, though, every spot has possibly been claimed but the Divine character. Depending on what roles get filled, I may allow overlap for an extra character, so I will definitely get back to you.

I could whip up a divine hero, but I guess I'd wanna see class choices from the others before deciding. Will you allow hybrids?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:37 am
Arc Vembris
I could whip up a divine hero, but I guess I'd wanna see class choices from the others before deciding. Will you allow hybrids?

Yes. Cross-class stuff, hybrid classes, however you want to build yourself. (That's pretty much the only way to get access to the Martial classes.) And I haven't seen class choice from anybody yet, either. Roilvn seems to have his Psionic all ready to go, but he hasn't shared yet.

As for the Heroes books, most of that stuff is fine. (Can't quite get my hands on Elemental Chaos yet.) But the Feywild book is okay, as far as I've seen. Just no pixies, please. And now that I've flipped through EC, yeah, I don't see anything that bugs me, other than the Genasi.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am
OK! I'm calling the Striker Role, and I'm gonna play as a Barbarian. How you ask?
The Chiefitan's son has come to learn  

DeathAdams

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 am
On Races, any from the Monster Manuals or no?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 pm
Callsigncaboose
On Races, any from the Monster Manuals or no?

That completely depends on what it is, honestly. In MM1, most of those actually appear in later books, aside from the monstrous ones and a couple odd-outs.

So just as break down, the one I'm fully okay with is Githyanki, since Githzerai got their chance to shine in PHB3. But since they're typcially so aggressive, you'll have to come up with a story for why you're not so much any more. For Doppelganger, just use Changeling in the Eberron book, same deal for any of the other races that have full racial write ups elsewhere. I want to limit the access to any of the monstrous humanoids, specifically because they are almost always evil alignment, just based on their nature. The only one that doesn't necessarily fit into that stereotype is the Hobgoblin. In MM2, the only one that's not default evil is Kenku, so maybe that one's okay, too.

Other than that, I prefer no Warforged. And just plain "please don't" for the rest: Drow, Shadar-Kai, Bugbear, Gnoll, Goblin, Kobold, Orc, Bullywug (MM2), Duergar (MM2).  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm
Say no more. I just needed to know what your prefereces were because it affected my Build.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 pm
Mika Beastborn- Elf Barbarian

Yes, there's no Background, but I'm worried about mechanics first.  

DeathAdams

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 am
I am half done with an eladrin cleric of Erathis  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items