Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Random Care Questions About Rex

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:55 am
And incase you've forgotten who Rex is, he's my adorable, psychotic little Mali Uromastyx.

I've got him set up in a 40 breeder, with 10.0 UV and a heating lamp that I can feel the heat off of from several inches away (he loves it! Spends most of his day under it. I forget the wattage). He gets a random bit of Rexie safe food every day (salad mixes, squash, zucchini, the occasional bit of fruit, which he hates, and so on), and seeds and vitamins every other day. And every one to two weeks, depending on how well he likes the set up, I take every thing out, do a "deep clean" of the sand, and re-arrange the tank, in addition it daily or bi-daily spot cleanings. Since I got him, about a year and a half ago, he's doubled in size from about 4 1/2 or 5 inches, and has become the worlds most spoiled pain on the butt =3

Anyways, I was wondering, he's got 2 caves, one about 10 inches across and the other 6 or 7, a basking platform (the kind typically used for turtles), two 1 1/2 foot long prices of driftwood, a piece of texas holley rock, and a food dish all in the tank a one time. I leave a section open for him in the middle, but do you think this is too much? He loves climbing on and over stuff, but he *is* a growing boy (I think he's a boy.... <.<) that needs his space. I'm about to give him one of those ExoTerra waterfalls, minus the water, as a new toy to climb on, too, but for that, I do need to make room for lol So do you think I should take some of the stuff out, and just change it up every week, or is my current system ok?

Also about his sand. It's play sand mixed with calcium sand (for color. It's a nice light orange). I guess it's supposed to be changed every however many months, but it doesn't smell bad, it just smells like sand, and I'm very meticulous about getting everything out when I clean. So thought on that as well. smile

And how on earth do you guys tame your reptiles down? He's so untrusting of any human movement with in 6ft of his tank. I can peek in at him from another room, and if he sees me, he bolts off into his cave or the corner behind all his stuff. If he's really hungry, he'll hand feed, but he won't be very happy about it, and he'll have to have not eaten in a few days (picky pain in the butt lol). I'm currently sitting on my bed in front of his tank, and he won't even come out of his cage because I'm watching him! :/ I did manage to hold him for several minutes with him in a reletively calm fashion earlier today when I removed him from the tank to clean it, but I have to keep a pretty tight hold on him, other wise he has a Rexie heart attack and tries to wriggle free. But he did do pretty well today, and I walked around with him a bit, so it's progress.

And now about his diet: I know he needs protein, but he generally leaves crickets alone (I did catch a tiny one in my room, which is generally frowned on, I know, but I was curious, and it's gone today with out a trace, so he did eat it), so what other ways can he be getting that bit of protein he needs? Lentils? Small meal worms? Something else? And how do I get him to eat his fruits? I don't like letting him go with out eating, but that's usually the only way to get him to eat something new, but offering only that until he eats it. Makes me feel bad lol He'll go in his bowl, kick it all out, go out of his bowl, kick sand into it, then go into his cave, kick sand up against the opening so we can't see in, and then stay in there l day. Worse than a toddler, I tell you! So anything on that would be great.

I'll also accept any other random advice you feel like giving out wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm
How long have you had him? I'm sure eventually he'll get used to you and not be so skiddish but some take longer than others.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm
Ummmmmm, year and a half, or something like that? Most of the problem is that we aren't home during he day when he's out. He comes out around 11 or 12 and then goes back to bed around 4 or 5, and he's very set in this schedule dispite his lights being on from 11 am to 11 pm, on a timer. When I am home, I do make it point to just sit by his tank for a while and 'hang out' with him.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 pm
Akari_32
Ummmmmm, year and a half, or something like that? Most of the problem is that we aren't home during he day when he's out. He comes out around 11 or 12 and then goes back to bed around 4 or 5, and he's very set in this schedule dispite his lights being on from 11 am to 11 pm, on a timer. When I am home, I do make it point to just sit by his tank for a while and 'hang out' with him.
Ahh so he isn't seeing you much during his active period. I've not had experience with any pets of this type but with the animal I have had it sometimes helps to find a special, uber yummy treat and only offer it by hand. They come to associate this treat with you and you alone.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:00 am
Exactly. I usually work 3-10 so of he does make it out before I leave, I'm running around getting ready for work, and then by the time I get home his lights are out. It's so annoying! I've got less hours this week though, somincan spend some time with him, and my cousins are here and they love him.

About the only thing I can get him to hand feed are his seeds. Some times fresh green beans, some times lettuce. He's such a picky eater to the point that even if it's something he typically likes, if he doesn't want it that day, he'll just kick it around and throw sand on it. This is a common problem with these guys.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm
His setup sounds awesome, though the only thing I'd do to make it better would be to get rid of the sand. Sand is a big problem with reptiles, especially lizards, who like to "taste" their surroundings.

One of the most common deaths in lizards is impaction, where they'll ingest the substrate and it will solidify in their guts and make it so they can't digest anything. I know that zoo med has a reptile carpet that is sand colored that works great. That, or newspaper, paper towels, and tile work great in euro tanks.

As for handling him, patience is a virtue with lizards. Try putting your hand in his tank for about 15 minutes a day, and just sit there. It may take a few days, or even weeks, but he'll start to see that you're not a threat. Good luck with him. smile

JoAnne

Radioactive Condoms

Magnetic Member

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Radioactive Condoms
His setup sounds awesome, though the only thing I'd do to make it better would be to get rid of the sand. Sand is a big problem with reptiles, especially lizards, who like to "taste" their surroundings.

One of the most common deaths in lizards is impaction, where they'll ingest the substrate and it will solidify in their guts and make it so they can't digest anything. I know that zoo med has a reptile carpet that is sand colored that works great. That, or newspaper, paper towels, and tile work great in euro tanks.

As for handling him, patience is a virtue with lizards. Try putting your hand in his tank for about 15 minutes a day, and just sit there. It may take a few days, or even weeks, but he'll start to see that you're not a threat. Good luck with him. smile

JoAnne

I took a lot of it out and just put in the two caves, the basking rock, the waterfall (minus the water) and one peice of driftwood. Less cluttered, but still just as fun lol

I can't bare to take the sand out, he loves it so much. He likes to dig around and fling it everywhere. and makes a little Rexie-shaped bed in his cave.... Taking the sand out would be like taking all is climbing toys away lol He poops all the time, so I know he's not eating it. Some times I wonder how its just him making all that mess in there.... ninja

Ooh, good idea, I'll try that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm
Ugh, sand. Not a great idea, especially for a juvie. Calcium sand is the WORST. It's just ASKING them to eat it.  

imderanged

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 pm
imderanged
Ugh, sand. Not a great idea, especially for a juvie. Calcium sand is the WORST. It's just ASKING them to eat it.

It's 5 pounds of calcium sand mixed with 25 pounds of play sand. The calcium sand is a result of my parents buying his stuff when they got him for me... Not something I would have chosen lol He eats a lot of zucchini because it's one of his favorites, so the sand has never been touched. He won't even eat his food if there's sand in the bowl.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games