Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Designing a Massive World. Would Like help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Shade of Casin

Gracious Conversationalist

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm
Right now I have this small collection of islands. And I am still flushing it out. Again these are just a small group of islands.

Archipelago Of Manen

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also this will be a campaign setting. One that I hope to Run, So if anyone is interested in running around here let me know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:47 pm
My philosophy was always to follow the direction of the players and the needs of the story rather than to solidify a worldmap first, but I know there are different campaign styles.

What's the government here, if there is any? Is the population tribal, piratical, colonial? Is there an active volcano? Are underwater humanoids allies or enemies to the islanders?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 pm
Arc Vembris
My philosophy was always to follow the direction of the players and the needs of the story rather than to solidify a worldmap first, but I know there are different campaign styles.

What's the government here, if there is any? Is the population tribal, piratical, colonial? Is there an active volcano? Are underwater humanoids allies or enemies to the islanders?

Honestly its a setting from a book I am working on. Its is a low magic area. Four seperate kingdoms.

You have the Kingdom of Manen. It is a Kingdom, With a King, and the nobles working smaller and smaller pieces of land. It is the Star on the Largest Island, and the two islands that are connected by the Red dashed line.

Then there is The Commonwealth of Black Harbor. It is a Oligarchy Counsel Made up of the 7 Wealthiest people, one from each island. It is the Star in the middle of the chain, and the seven islands are connected by the Purple dashed Lines.

Then You have The Collection of Equis. Equis is the god of the sea. A Neutral God, he give and takes. We came from the sea and we will return to the sea. It is two islands ran completely by the church. It is the West most star and the one island connected by a blue dashed line

Finally is the Arid Kings. Three kings on the Nothern most star, and the two tan dashed lines. The main island is a desert and the main provider for salt in the region. They are ran by three kings. One is the Strongest warrior in the land, One is the Natural Born King, and The Wealthiest man in the land.

There is alot more then that written for the world, this is just the Island chain that the mortals Know

Beyond that there are four groups of Celestials. There is one Valcano located on the Isle of Ashe (under control of Kingdom of Manen), and the Magi of the Fire control that. The Woods are protected by the Magi of the Forest. The Mountains are held by the Magi of the Mountains (pretty straight forward right?)

The four is the Magi of the Sea, and they have the strongest presence here, and they are benieth the water.

The Main Religion of the Region is Equis, With the Three minor ones of Raiowood need the Forest, Prekia near the mountains and highly along the cliffs at the easter edge of the Isle of Manen. And Passiaon on the Isle of Ashe.

Edit: You will notice the southern part of the largest island is more filled out, it is because that is where the adventures are starting. I have just laid down some of the ground work and the entire area around us.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 am
Rather than using dotted lines to connect the affiliated islands, I might suggest color-coding them, possibly with a like-colored outline or fill. The dots are a b***h and a half to try and make heads or tails out of with a casual pass.

Also, the grammar nazi in me would like to inform you that, in the desert, only one s can grow. Unless the island really is a delicious, after meal treat. Perhaps the god of the ocean is saving it for later and has a serious sweet tooth...?  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:49 pm
Disciple of Sakura
Rather than using dotted lines to connect the affiliated islands, I might suggest color-coding them, possibly with a like-colored outline or fill. The dots are a b***h and a half to try and make heads or tails out of with a casual pass.

Also, the grammar nazi in me would like to inform you that, in the desert, only one s can grow. Unless the island really is a delicious, after meal treat. Perhaps the god of the ocean is saving it for later and has a serious sweet tooth...?
The dots are trade routes and common shipping lanes. They are color coded for internal (color by country) and International (Black)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm
Still Working on this. So far have a few cites made out and working on the Pantheon of the Gods.  

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:43 pm
New Cities!

Both are located on the Isle of Mannen

Winesburg

The surrounding Area to Winesburg is a picture of beauty. The rolling hills filled with the many vinyards that feed the wineries that give the city its name. The ability to grow the finest grapes in the islands allowed them to produce some of the best wine in the World. Winesburg is a Blossoming city that could be a capital in its very own right. The odd thing is the tight hold that the nearby Collection of Equis holds on the town. While the town's leader Archduke Grimsley has allowed them to enforce their own laws in the Temple District, The Rest of the city tends to be pretty open and friendly. The Crime is low, surprising for such a large city, but that is in part due to the high amount of men the local Guard employ. Most of them Personal volunteers swearing their service to the Archduke himself. The few ripples that his has cause are over looked as one of the safest and cleanest streets in all of the Kingdom. The Highest Ranking official of the Equis Collective is located here, Running all of the Temples inside the greater Kingdom of Manen area. The Harbor is isolated from the rest of the city, and the Beloved Archduke is sometimes blessed over the king. But you can get away with such things when you have the kings favor.

Spellcasting is unknown to most of the city, however certain trader caravans come that posses guides that are spellcasters, however disguised that my try to be.

N Metroplious city
Corruption +6; Crime -3; Economy +7; Law +9; Lore +6; Society +4
Qualities Insular; Pious; Prosperous; Strategic Location; Superstitious; Tourist Attraction
Danger +10
Demographics
Government Overlord
Population 28753
Notable NPCs
High Priest Maximus Lordaris (LG male human cleric 10)
Arch Duke Grimsley (LN male human aristocrat 15)
Marketplace
Base Value 25,600; Purchase Limit 150,000; Spellcasting 8th
Minor Items 4d4; Medium Items 3d4; Major Items 2d4

Riverwood Crossing

This Town placed right on the river crossing makes a wonderful amount of money charging taxes going to and from Winesburg near by. The Asset and gold seized is either sold off or put to use as a part of one of this towns many festivals. However recently things have not been so good, and the town seemed to shy away from outsiders. However the Captain of the Guard is a Honorable female and the Lord Earl is Firmly Loyal to the Crown, as well as the Savior ArchDuke Grimsley.

LN Large Town
Corruption +2; Crime -6; Economy +1; Law +5; Lore +2; Society -1
Qualities Strategic Location, Romormongering Citizens, Superstitious
Danger 5
Demographics
Government Overlord
Population 3750
Notable NPCs
Captain of the Guard Jiranda Hollis (LN female human fighter 5)
Earl Martin Archword (LN male human aristocrat 15)
Marketplace
Base Value 16,000; Purchase Limit 100,000; Spellcasting 8th
Minor Items 4d4; Medium Items 3d4; Major Items 2d4  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 pm
Okay, it seems you have basic info for the archipeligo laid out pretty specifically. What was the part you needed help with, then?  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:39 pm
WhimsicalXellos
Okay, it seems you have basic info for the archipeligo laid out pretty specifically. What was the part you needed help with, then?
City creation, Island workings, NPC generation, Noble houses for three of the kingdoms, trade guilds ETC ETC  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 pm
Ah, so just general fleshing out. Obviously you have Manen worked out the best. Which regions are you having the most trouble with? Or which ones are the least defined? (The answers to those kinds of questions are usually the same, though.)  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers