Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
I've been hired to my first job in retail!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Hello everyone! I come bearing great news. After a two-year hunt for a summer job, I finally found one at a local clothing store. As far as retail goes, it was definitely my top choice; I feel I can honestly and lovingly represent this brand, which makes me super happy.

I've never worked in retail before, but I'm very sociable, definitely a go-getter, and my experience as my own personal stylist and makeup artist has definitely prepared me for this position.

That being said, do you have any advice for me? Tips, pointers, things to avoid doing on the first day (or ever), things I should do and ask, etc?

Thanks! emotion_bigheart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm
Ebony the Peacian

Congratulations, Fran! I know you'll do well at this job.  

Ned-san

Friendly Phantom

7,550 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100

umbraja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm
Congrats! Good to see someone getting work in this economy.

Best advice I can give anyone for a first job in retail is: pace yourself so you don't get overwhelmed and wear comfortable shoes. The shoes especially. You'll probably be on your feet the whole time so don't go for something cute, wear the most comfortable shoes you own.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm
Ned-San
umbraja

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ned-San Aww, thanks, Ned! I certainly hope so.

umbraja Thank you! I was so surprised as well. They were seeing a lot of people go, and the manager expressed to me that they were looking for new faces and such.

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately, some of my most stylish shoes are my most comfortable (Gucci and Cole Haan loafers), so those will do just fine. But good to know. Those platform leather wedges will have to wait for nighttime. wink

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Althena The Goddess

Shameless Noob

9,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:25 am
Ebony the Peacian

That being said, do you have any advice for me? Tips, pointers, things to avoid doing on the first day (or ever), things I should do and ask, etc?

Thanks! emotion_bigheart

I'm probably stating the obvious, but just have a crazy thick skin. I worked at Barnes & Noble for almost 5 years, and if my customer was having a bad day, whether intentional or not, they seemed pretty determined to make me have a bad day, too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:55 am
Althena The Goddess
I'm probably stating the obvious, but just have a crazy thick skin. I worked at Barnes & Noble for almost 5 years, and if my customer was having a bad day, whether intentional or not, they seemed pretty determined to make me have a bad day, too.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Haha, I've definitely heard that one before -- especially from friends who have worked in food service.

Where I'm working, fortunately, is not as popular as Barnes and Noble. So that y'all know, I'm working at a local Ann Taylor that doesn't see as much traffic as, say, H&M or Forever 21. So perhaps my chances of running into mean customers are slimmer than what they would be if I worked at a Wendy's or a movie theater.

But they will definitely come, and I'm sure that, during training, they'll give me some helpful tips for dealing with that sort of issue.

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 pm
Great tips and thanks for sharing these from your experience.

I hope you had great fun and this job stays heart  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff