Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
My baby cousin taught my old dog horrible new "Tricks" Help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-MaliciousMinty-

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:24 pm

My dog is 6 years old, sweet, kind, and good to kids... or at least was..
I went to Europe this summer so I had my uncle and his six year old son watch her. It was two weeks.
When I came back I took her home and my younger brother who is four loves messing with her. He hugs and cuddles and grabs and she use to understand that he's just trying to love her.
My baby cousin isn't the sweetest cupcake in the batch, He's a meanie sometimes, I've been bitten, kicked, scratched and punched by the little guy, and I knew he wasn't going to be 100% nice to my dog, but my Uncle was my only choice, BUT i didn't know he'd torment my dog to the point where she hates all children in TWO WEEKS.

Its been a week and a half since and everyday whenever my brother just kisses her head, she yelps bloody murder through the halls. And we keep telling her to stop and so we'll have him pick her up and she'll begin to growl and we'll say "no" and she'll stop..
Might I remind you, she is perfectly fine with me, acts the same, lets me cuddle her and what not, is okay with my parents. But now younger kids are her worst enemy.

Today was the last straw, Fourth of July. My brother went into the room my dog stays in and tried playing with her and she bit him in the face and left a bloody red gash on his eye lid. He's all swollen in that area and purple. ITS HORRID. Worst part is, we heard her crying bloody murder and we told him to leave her alone while we were in the kitchen, she kept making the noise so we sent him to his room and my step dad went to confront my brother and found him all beaten up in the section, I feel like a horrible person because I was mad at him for messing with her but she hurt him.

He's so scarred he wants her gone, but I love her, I've had her since she was two months old, she's my baby. But I need her to stop, This behavior of hers is unacceptable. I don't know what my cousin did, and I'm pretty sure my uncle doesn't either. But I KNOW it was my cousin, he's the only youngster she was around those two weeks, and youngsters are now her targets. People say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but apparently you can teach them new habits.. How would you guys suggest I get her to stop?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 pm
Positive reinforcement - you have to get her to start thinking your little brother is a good guy...have him help you feed her, give her treats...does she have a favorite toy he can play with her in a safe manner..like a ball he can throw for her or something. Also obviously I wouldn't let the dog and your brother be alone together at all until this is fixed to prevent any more injuries to either one.  

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm
Perhaps the dog needs to be checked over for injuries. If she's hurt, she's not going to let what hurt her in the first place (small children) have anything to do with her. Then I would do exactly what was stated above.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games