New food for the dogs!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 pm
Gosh, it's been forever! I miss you guys lol

Anyways, the dogs ran out of food, and it was up to me to buy them more while I was at the store for human food. So I picked them up a bag of that Rachel Ray stuff, and they are nuts for it! Like, forgetting-they-can't-eat-until-I-say-so love it. They really like it, and it's a lot better for them than Purina Dog Chow. I think I bought the beef kind to start them out with. There's also chicken, and a healthy weight one (which I don't think they'll need, they aren't fatties lol). I bought them a bag of Wellness once (because I had the coupons for it) and the weren't ever this excited for it lol

So, I think we'll stay with this food. I just bought a small 16 pound bag for $17 at the grocery store. I can buy a lot bigger one at WalMart for a few more dollars next time.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 pm
Awesome! Glad you could find a decent alternative to Purina. The Racheal Ray food gets 3 stars out of 5 on dogfoodadvisor.com, so it's definitely better than Purina, especially since it doesn't have all that icky corn, wheat, and soy.

They may like Racheal Ray more than Wellness because of the little bit of extra sugar in Racheal Ray (the beet pulp) or the smell of the flavoring spray all kibble has. Dogs LOVE Kibbles N' Bits, too, but mostly for the same reason people like french fries: it's tasty junk food. Who knows. But at least they're enthusiastically going for the Racheal Ray, and it's a good food. smile

A little advice though: if you're going to switch from a food with grains in it to a food without grains in it and vice versa, you definitely want to slowly, slowly transition the dogs to the next food to avoid digestive upset. You may have already done this when you bought the Wellness, but just in case. biggrin  

Ailinea

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 am
Ailinea
Awesome! Glad you could find a decent alternative to Purina. The Racheal Ray food gets 3 stars out of 5 on dogfoodadvisor.com, so it's definitely better than Purina, especially since it doesn't have all that icky corn, wheat, and soy.

They may like Racheal Ray more than Wellness because of the little bit of extra sugar in Racheal Ray (the beet pulp) or the smell of the flavoring spray all kibble has. Dogs LOVE Kibbles N' Bits, too, but mostly for the same reason people like french fries: it's tasty junk food. Who knows. But at least they're enthusiastically going for the Racheal Ray, and it's a good food. smile

A little advice though: if you're going to switch from a food with grains in it to a food without grains in it and vice versa, you definitely want to slowly, slowly transition the dogs to the next food to avoid digestive upset. You may have already done this when you bought the Wellness, but just in case. biggrin

I'd really love for them to be on Wellness, but I can live with this lol I don't think they need to make Wellness and other good foods so expensive stare The expense is exactly why they were on Dog Chow in the first place. I guess in mom defense, its the better of the cheap brands. Could have been Gravy Train or something LOL

My dogs never liked Kibbles N Bits. Not that we ever fed it to them. We left them in the care of my grandma once, a long time ago, and they ran out of food and thats what she bought. Kibbles N Bits is the reason we called my moms Lab "Fatty" rofl I suppose that beet juice would be a good explanation as to why they go so nuts for it, though! Never really thought of that...

Well.... I kinda didn't lol ninja I don't think they care, though. They eat strange things (in the yard) all the time, so they must have pretty tough tummies. I know you're supposed to, though, and I would have, had we planned on running out of food. Some times we forget they need food until we go to feed them and theres only a little left <.< We're busy people >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 pm
Akari_32
I'd really love for them to be on Wellness, but I can live with this lol I don't think they need to make Wellness and other good foods so expensive stare The expense is exactly why they were on Dog Chow in the first place. I guess in mom defense, its the better of the cheap brands. Could have been Gravy Train or something LOL

My dogs never liked Kibbles N Bits. Not that we ever fed it to them. We left them in the care of my grandma once, a long time ago, and they ran out of food and thats what she bought. Kibbles N Bits is the reason we called my moms Lab "Fatty" rofl I suppose that beet juice would be a good explanation as to why they go so nuts for it, though! Never really thought of that...

Well.... I kinda didn't lol ninja I don't think they care, though. They eat strange things (in the yard) all the time, so they must have pretty tough tummies. I know you're supposed to, though, and I would have, had we planned on running out of food. Some times we forget they need food until we go to feed them and theres only a little left <.< We're busy people >.<

Ha! Totally understand, I'm a last-minute person too lol.

When I was feeding kibble I looked at Wellness too, and I agree it's too expensive. I noticed that the better quality dog foods are more expensive, but you have to feed less than cheaper brands because of quality so it balances out, but even Wellness' price was still too much after that!

When I fed kibble, I eventually migrated to feeding Natural Balance, then Fromm, and then Taste of the Wild when I couldn't get Fromm anymore. I highly recommend Fromm if you can find it; it's not super cheap of course, but it's family owned and the 40lb bags are about $50 or so. Plus, they have a thing where if you buy 10 bags of food, you get the next bag free. biggrin My dog really liked the pork and applesauce flavor, and he's really picky. What's cool about Fromm is that you can bounce around on their different flavors without worrying about transitioning them like other dog foods. But with your dogs' iron stomachs, I guess that's not an issue anyway. wink

But the Racheal Ray stuff looks pretty cool. You're right, it's definitely awesome for the price. Nice find!  

Ailinea

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm
The biggest thing about the whole ingredients/price vs consumption is that my dogs already eat less then what the package says by up to half, so even of I feed them comparatively less of a higher quality food, such as wellness, they'd become too thin. I noticed this on just one 15 pound bag of Wellness, even feeding just under 1/2 cup less, so that whole argument does squat in our case LOL

I've never heard of Fromm before. Where did you buy it at? We have Pet Supermarket, PetSmart, Petco and one local pet store that sells dog food. Do you think I could switch them between the beef one and the chicken one with out any problems. I don't want to potentially make them sick if I don't have to lol

I know! I've been eyeing it, but never had a chance to get it till now.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:05 pm
16 pounds for 17 bucks is a great price IMO. Acana at my store goes for like 40 bucks for that size...so ya lol. I mean the Rachel Ray food is more carby than Acana but still a BIG step from Purina.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
16 pounds for 17 bucks is a great price IMO. Acana at my store goes for like 40 bucks for that size...so ya lol. I mean the Rachel Ray food is more carby than Acana but still a BIG step from Purina.

Thats what I'm sayin' lol Its $28 for 30 pounds, I think, at WalMart. The only other good food that I can recall that is comparable in price is PetSmart brand, Authority, I think. (I'll have to look at how many pounds for the $30-ish bag...) Which is better, do you think? I want the best "bang for my buck," and if I can get something better for about the same price, I want to do so. Carb content isn't really a big factor as my dogs are pretty active (well, maybe not in this heat, but usually they are lol)  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games