Dog Issues, Please Help! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

with patroclus

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 am
I have an 11th month old maltese-pomeranian. She likes to chew on things... especially her bed. She has chewed holes in it, eaten the stuffing inside of it, and she is currently chewing on a series of threads she pulled out of the bed. And she has plenty of chew toys! I've gotten her new, and supposedly "durable" beds, but she keeps chewing them out! She sometimes even throws up some stuffing/thread. Whenever I take the bed away from her, she barks and whines... and it's really annoying. What should I do? Are there any actual chew proof beds that you can reccommend? Because I don't want to have to spray Bitter Apple or something all over her bed.

She's also refusing to eat her food. I KNOW she's not sick or anything, because she'll eat anything except her food. She has become a picky eater. I switched her to a different brand of food, but she won't eat that either. But I'm making sure not to give her too many choices. What should I do about this?

And last of all, she destroys her toys quickly. Whenever she's playing with a new toy, even a durable brand-name toy with thick rubber, she always ends up chewing a whole in it, eating off parts, and breaking them. Same thing with stuffed toys. The only thing she hasn't destroyed yet, is the rope toys. And that's because she doesn't really like them. Any good toy reccommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 am
Now that is a tough one. My Pom destroys everything except for the bed we bought him, won't touch it. Even those "durable" toys with the chew-proof material get thrown out after a week.

I'd say anything with stuffing is out for sure, that could upset his tummy. Small dogs are sometimes prone to tummy problems anyway.

Chewing could be for a couple of reasons but more than likely she's just bored. I just looked at Petco's "Nearly Indestructible dog toys" section and my dog has eaten every one of those except for the Kong. But you said she's destroying that so I'm thinking that toys aren't going to work.

You could try a good bone and hope it stops the chewing on other things. I'd stay away from toys unless they're meant to be eaten or safe to eat. Try to distract her with other things like a ball outside or walks (if it's cool! I can't take my Pom out for walks during the day here) every day.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

with patroclus

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm
Kithy Kitty
Now that is a tough one. My Pom destroys everything except for the bed we bought him, won't touch it. Even those "durable" toys with the chew-proof material get thrown out after a week.

I'd say anything with stuffing is out for sure, that could upset his tummy. Small dogs are sometimes prone to tummy problems anyway.

Chewing could be for a couple of reasons but more than likely she's just bored. I just looked at Petco's "Nearly Indestructible dog toys" section and my dog has eaten every one of those except for the Kong. But you said she's destroying that so I'm thinking that toys aren't going to work.

You could try a good bone and hope it stops the chewing on other things. I'd stay away from toys unless they're meant to be eaten or safe to eat. Try to distract her with other things like a ball outside or walks (if it's cool! I can't take my Pom out for walks during the day here) every day.

Okay, thanks! But what kind of bones do you reccomend? I've gotten her digestible bones, but she finishes them within a few minutes, and then she moves on back to attacking her bed. And it's pretty hot over where I am too. The weather report says that we're not supposed to be going outside...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 pm
Have you tried something that makes her work for her treat, like a kong toy with some peanut butter on the inside she can work to lick out or something? Might take her a bit more time to get it out.  

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

Azusanga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm
Do you get these types of bones, or these? I'd suggest the second ones- they'll last longer and be more rewarding of a chew.

As far as the beds go, try a bed like this. They're raised off the ground slightly so they're easy to get on and off of, plus they're more difficult to chew/destroy.

What kind of food is she on now? What have you tried?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 pm
pup720
Kithy Kitty

Okay, thanks! But what kind of bones do you reccomend? I've gotten her digestible bones, but she finishes them within a few minutes, and then she moves on back to attacking her bed. And it's pretty hot over where I am too. The weather report says that we're not supposed to be going outside...
I'd go with the kind that Azusanga suggested but a bit more sized for your dog since she's a smaller breed.

It's dreadfully hard to have a dog with lots of fur in a warm climate >.< It's even too hot at night and I still can't take mine for a walk and I feel so bad. Just waiting for winter and then I might take him hiking!  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

with patroclus

Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 am
Azusanga
Do you get these types of bones, or these? I'd suggest the second ones- they'll last longer and be more rewarding of a chew.

As far as the beds go, try a bed like this. They're raised off the ground slightly so they're easy to get on and off of, plus they're more difficult to chew/destroy.

She's eating dry kibble and the brand that I'm using at the moment is called Pet Botanics. I've tried mixing wet food with the kibble, but she picks out the wet food and eats it, while spitting out the kibble.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:58 am
JetAlmeara
Have you tried something that makes her work for her treat, like a kong toy with some peanut butter on the inside she can work to lick out or something? Might take her a bit more time to get it out.

Yes, I've tried it. But she's really lazy. If she can't get it out within a minute or so, she just leaves the toy on the ground and walks off...  

with patroclus

Phantom

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm
pup720
Azusanga

She's eating dry kibble and the brand that I'm using at the moment is called Pet Botanics. I've tried mixing wet food with the kibble, but she picks out the wet food and eats it, while spitting out the kibble.

Okay, well, what have you tried to put her on? And how did you do it? Gradually mixing?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:13 pm
pup720
Azusanga

Honestly? She's totally manipulating you. When you allow a dog to be a picky eater, they remain a picky eater. You need to stand your ground and continue to offer her what you want her to eat. If she doesn't eat it within 20 minutes, pick it up and use it next feeding. She may hold out for a few days, but eventually she will eat it when she gets hungry enough. I had to be that way with my dog before I put him on raw, and it ended up saving a LOT of hassle, not to mention his teeth since he would only eat wet food. It took over three days, but eventually he started eating his dry kibble and was great after that.  

Ailinea

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm
kong and jw make good rubber toys. stowrm is really rough with her toys and has only managed to get a few teeth marks in her kong that she has had for a year. jw toys feel cheap but she is super rough with them and i have seen no wear or tear in them at all

also try some tough love with the doggy food. dont give in and dont give her anything else. if she doesnt eat then she goes hungry until the next meal  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm
Ailinea
pup720
Azusanga

Honestly? She's totally manipulating you. When you allow a dog to be a picky eater, they remain a picky eater. You need to stand your ground and continue to offer her what you want her to eat. If she doesn't eat it within 20 minutes, pick it up and use it next feeding. She may hold out for a few days, but eventually she will eat it when she gets hungry enough. I had to be that way with my dog before I put him on raw, and it ended up saving a LOT of hassle, not to mention his teeth since he would only eat wet food. It took over three days, but eventually he started eating his dry kibble and was great after that.

Okay, thanks. biggrin  

with patroclus

Phantom

l Hammie l

Shy Cat

9,950 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm
my doggies chew on what ibeleive are antler bones. there really durable and last a LONG time. maybe couple months, may depend on the dog though. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm
ltsShiro
my doggies chew on what ibeleive are antler bones. there really durable and last a LONG time. maybe couple months, may depend on the dog though. whee

Hmmm... okay. Where do you get them? Just at regular pet stores? And how much do they usually cost?  

with patroclus

Phantom

l Hammie l

Shy Cat

9,950 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 pm
pup720
ltsShiro

Hmmm... okay. Where do you get them? Just at regular pet stores? And how much do they usually cost?

regular stores should have it i beleive, there maybe around 9-15$ depending on size of coarse  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff