Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Inspiration
Seeking Signs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:08 am
"An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Matthew 12:39-40)

If there was ever "an evil and adulterous generation," it is surely this present one and, once again, there is a widespread seeking after signs (same word in the Greek as "miracles"). The almost explosive rise of the so-called New Age movement has produced an amazing interest in all forms of occultism and supernatural phenomena: astrology, channeling, ESP, near-death experiences, UFOs, meditation, and mysticism of many strange varieties.

Even in Christian circles, there is an unhealthy interest in new revelations and other supernatural signs. The Lord Jesus, however, rebuked those who wanted special signs before receiving Him. "Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe" [John 4:48]. He has already given us the greatest of all signs--His bodily resurrection from the dead, the best-evidenced fact of all history--and this should suffice, as He told the scribes and Pharisees in our text.

In fact, there is a real danger in seeking such signs and wonders, for many of these things--while perhaps supernatural--are not from God. "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect" (Matthew 24:24).

Unlike the first generation of Christians, we now have the complete written Word of God, both Old and New Testaments, and it is sufficient for every need of every believer until Christ returns, "whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts" (2 Peter 1:19). HMM

icr.org  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:18 pm
So does that include speaking in tongues? My sister and I went to church that believed in speaking in tongues. Before that I knew of speaking in tongues as a translation, (in the bible, a group of people arrived that didn't speak the language, one of the members spoke in tongues which happened to be their language which he did not originally speak--I think that's how it goes), but this church I used to go to, they believed in everyone speaking in tongues, they told us to practice it everyday. Well I was having troubles and talked to a lady about it one day after church, she was "teaching me" how to speaking in tongues, she told me to make up random syllables...this seemed fake to me. Not sure if i believe it...  

taki-ziku-chiri

Super Soldier

14,800 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

ll-0RACL3_kun-ll

Hunter

5,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm
taki-ziku-chiri
So does that include speaking in tongues? My sister and I went to church that believed in speaking in tongues. Before that I knew of speaking in tongues as a translation, (in the bible, a group of people arrived that didn't speak the language, one of the members spoke in tongues which happened to be their language which he did not originally speak--I think that's how it goes), but this church I used to go to, they believed in everyone speaking in tongues, they told us to practice it everyday. Well I was having troubles and talked to a lady about it one day after church, she was "teaching me" how to speaking in tongues, she told me to make up random syllables...this seemed fake to me. Not sure if i believe it...

I'm not sure about the fact that 'speaking tongues' can be taught because I know it's a God-given talent found in some people just like people who know how to interpret dreams. I guess it depends on how you put it.
1 Corinthians 14:2 (CEB)
"This is because those who speak in a tongue don’t speak to people but to God; no one understands it—they speak mysteries by the Spirit."  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll
taki-ziku-chiri

I'm not sure about the fact that 'speaking tongues' can be taught because I know it's a God-given talent found in some people just like people who know how to interpret dreams. I guess it depends on how you put it.
"This is because those who speak in a tongue don’t speak to people but to God; no one understands it—they speak mysteries by the Spirit."

That's what I thought, it's not something you can just make up. I had a youth leader and he said that when he spoke in tongues, it wasn't something he controlled, he fell on his knees and started praying, it just overcame him, that seems real to me. Not sure about just making up syllables though.  

taki-ziku-chiri

Super Soldier

14,800 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 pm
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll
taki-ziku-chiri

That I have to agree. It recently happened to me. I know that I didn't learn the language, but when I first spoke it, it was small. But when it got longer and longer till it went autopilot, I had no idea what I was speaking. Though I wanted to stop, I couldn't. Anyway, what I figgured out (from a workshop about the supernatural at camp, which covered Tounges,) that its a special language between you and God, no matter if it's a human language or an Angelic language.

So I will pass on to you what my minister told me (she also have the gift of tounges). People do have the gift, but people chooses not to have it. If you do choose it, I have to causion you about doing it with public, since you have to have paired with someone who have the gift of terperting tounges. Some churches, like mine, don't really encourage this gift. I got told as well that until you are confident in speaking in tounges, just say it in your devotinal time.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 pm
taki-ziku-chiri
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll
taki-ziku-chiri

That's what I thought, it's not something you can just make up. I had a youth leader and he said that when he spoke in tongues, it wasn't something he controlled, he fell on his knees and started praying, it just overcame him, that seems real to me. Not sure about just making up syllables though.

Syllables? I don't think that you have to learn syllables to speak in tounges. Unless you want to learn the language, I personally think that you don't have to learn it, it just happens when the Fire overcomes you.  

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500

arika-toteshi-ka

12,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:00 pm
I know this dude, he goes to a Christian church, but he was talking excitedly about finding diamonds..."if you truly believe in God and have real faith, you will find a diamond", and he was saying how a lot of people in his church were finding some, and some ppl prayed so hard that when they opened their fists there was a diamond...i dunno, this seemed so fake to me. Are these the types of signs you say are wrong?  
Inspiration

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games