High-functioning Snowflake

10,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Firestarter 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 pm
You help us...
Every time you make a complaint..

This is the place where you can freely let out your angst and frustration about us. Just kidding. Well, we are very young yet, and to be able to cater perfectly to your needs, we need your constant feedback. So everytime you are complaining against us, you are helping us.

No, seriously....we'd love to receive criticism about our Guild here, be it postive or negative, as long as it is constructive.

And if there's anything we can do better, no matter what, no matter how unimportant it might seem in your eyes... just tell us here as well.

Feel free. We don't bite. Or slap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 am
This one is for the Battle subforum, I don't know if any one agrees with me or not.

Maybe there should be level, like a lit or advance lit version. Not to complain about being eliminated,b ut kind of feels like I got the short end of the stick. A person who only writes two and a half paragraghs has no chance against some one who writes a small novella.

Just putting it out there.  

Necra Eclips

Alien Warrior

16,675 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300

Vruez
Vice Captain

High-functioning Snowflake

10,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Firestarter 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:08 am
Necra Eclips
This one is for the Battle subforum, I don't know if any one agrees with me or not.

Maybe there should be level, like a lit or advance lit version. Not to complain about being eliminated, but kind of feels like I got the short end of the stick. A person who only writes two and a half paragraghs has no chance against some one who writes a small novella.

Thanks a lot for putting your thoughts here. Much appreciated.

Yes, there was a literacy requirement in the rules section of the Battle sub-forum, the basic page linked in the various guild announcements.

The minimum literacy level was 3 paragraphs with 5 sentences in each ( which is lit. conventionally ), as mentioned here , first post, third point.

We rather think that literacy levels like lit, semi lit, adv. lit, has different interpretations for different people, and so we chose to mention the text requirement instead.

But thanks a lot for pointing it out, this was our very first try, and we'll make sure to keep your suggestion in mind in clarifying certain things next time. And we sincerely hope that you would join the second time as well.

Once again, thanks a lot for using this thread. biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am
Necra Eclips

Maybe there should be level, like a lit or advance lit version. Not to complain about being eliminated,b ut kind of feels like I got the short end of the stick. A person who only writes two and a half paragraghs has no chance against some one who writes a small novella.

Heya,

First off, thanks for the feedback. As mentioned, we really appreciate these comments, and strive to make this guild a better place for everyone.
Second, I'm really glad you joined the Tournament. I was worried about the response to that, so hopefully there will be more participants on a wider skill level and with different styles of writing next month.
Now, I'm sure that the rules of the Tournament mentioned a literacy requirement (or rather, length requirement). This is merely to ensure that each post will be sufficient in length to include all the details necessary for the next roleplayer to respond to. For the preliminary round, the crew and I judged the posts not by the quantity, but the quality. Of the three participants that were eliminated in that round, two posted with a length equal to or less than your post, one posted significantly more.
In other words, a person who only writes two and a half paragraghs has every chance against some one who writes a small novella, as long as the quality of the writing can match or surpass that of the other participant.
I'll keep your suggestion in mind, and will definitely consider the possibility if the interest is there. Just to point out to you (and I know I'm whining now, so sorry about that), it's terribly time-consuming and difficult to organise something like this. I had to bug a lot of people to join. emotion_awesome

Sorry, guys~
xPoppi

Angstbucket Edgelord
Captain

Shadowy Phantom

The Seme

Kawaii Hero

8,750 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am
I have a problem with the overall "literacy" requirement.

Depending on the style of the writer, in example, Hemingway's writing [no dialogue tags, little to no adjectives, etc.] may sum to two paragraphs while someone with verbal diarrhea may have five paragraphs. Banter is excessive, and, quite frankly, boring sometimes.

I'm not talking about the Battle section--I'm referencing the "literate" subforum. I also don't understand how the literate subforum is supposed to work--does that mean that the other subforums will not necessarily be literate? If I wanted to have a literate group roleplay that was based on fighting, where would it go?

Literate role players tend to be.. a scarcity. Not just the conventional definition of "I can write with decent syntax/grammar." but ones that delve into the character's depth. I don't think it's necessarily to really have a Literate subforum. In honesty, it's sort of confusing.

I'm suggesting instead a tag in the actual roleplay itself or in its title of how literate the writer wants their roleplayers to be who are interested in joining instead of having a subforum for each category.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 am
The Seme
I have a problem with the overall "literacy" requirement.

Depending on the style of the writer, in example, Hemingway's writing [no dialogue tags, little to no adjectives, etc.] may sum to two paragraphs while someone with verbal diarrhea may have five paragraphs. Banter is excessive, and, quite frankly, boring sometimes.

I'm not talking about the Battle section--I'm referencing the "literate" subforum. I also don't understand how the literate subforum is supposed to work--does that mean that the other subforums will not necessarily be literate? If I wanted to have a literate group roleplay that was based on fighting, where would it go?

Literate role players tend to be.. a scarcity. Not just the conventional definition of "I can write with decent syntax/grammar." but ones that delve into the character's depth. I don't think it's necessarily to really have a Literate subforum. In honesty, it's sort of confusing.

I'm suggesting instead a tag in the actual roleplay itself or in its title of how literate the writer wants their roleplayers to be who are interested in joining instead of having a subforum for each category.

Oh Em Gee. You actually joined. ;D
Sorry, it's just that I saw your roleplay "Catcher in the Skye" and loved it, hence the immediate invitation.
Much as I agree with you about the literacy requirement, I'm afraid I myself can't do much about it. For a lot of people, it's the length that counts, which technically includes page-long piles of crappy content.
For roleplays, however, it's generally better to type a little more (even if it is utter drivel) just for the sake of providing others with something concrete that they can respond to. However, I'd prefer less text of a better quality to a longer post that isn't as good.
The literate subforum was made for the roleplayers that were searching for "literacy" in the roleplay as the primary requirement. As you've probably noticed, the subforum contains a few 1x1's, which could have been in the 1x1 subforum. The reason why they're there is because I wanted the roleplay to be literate more than for it to be a 1x1.
As for the requirements for that subforum, it's basically the conventional definition, but hopefully also characters and plots that are more well thought out. For the literate group roleplay based on fighting, it all depends on whether "literacy" is the primary requirement for you. I've noticed that the average literacy for group roleplays is semi-lit, with occasional lit posts here and there.
As long the subforums are convenient for most of the members, I'll stick to them. I'll still take your idea into consideration, though it will mean revamping the whole Guild labelling system.
Please don't hesitate to PM me or post here if you have any other queries / complaints.
PS. your post made me smile ;3

Angstbucket Edgelord
Captain

Shadowy Phantom

{{::The World Is Ours::}}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out