Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mockingjay ~ a Hunger Games Guild

Back to Guilds

A little guild dedicated to 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. 

Tags: The Hunger Games, Roleplays, Books, Suzanne Collins, Fans 

Reply The Capitol.
We know their names, but where do the names come from? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 pm
As we all know Katniss's name is from the katniss plant. Primrose from evening primrose. Peeta is a baker, pita (pronounced peeta) is a type of bread. And Seneca is an Indian tribe for those who did not know that. But where are the other names from? Any Suggestions.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:34 pm
Clove's name means to cleave. It makes since because her main weapons are knives.  

thatgirlwholaughsalot

Tipsy Fairy

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Prayer Circle 200

Aislin Schreiber

Invisible Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 pm
Peeta also means rock in Scandinavian. According to a names website, Gale means pleasant and merry which doesn't really define Gale but whatever. The same website says that Cato means good judgment so maybe Suzanne Collins just liked the names or they have another meaning.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:24 am
Girl on Fire 12
Peeta also means rock in Scandinavian. According to a names website, Gale means pleasant and merry which doesn't really define Gale but whatever. The same website says that Cato means good judgment so maybe Suzanne Collins just liked the names or they have another meaning.

I looked up Gale in the dictionary cuz I wanted to see and it said a strong current of air or an emotional outburst...which makes a little more sense.  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Aislin Schreiber

Invisible Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 am
Peace_Sky1999
Girl on Fire 12

I looked up Gale in the dictionary cuz I wanted to see and it said a strong current of air or an emotional outburst...which makes a little more sense.

Haha yeah just a bit.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 am
Girl on Fire 12
Peace_Sky1999
Girl on Fire 12

Haha yeah just a bit.

"What are you gonna do with that when you kill it?" "D*mn you, Gale! It's not funny!" laughed so freakin hard at tht  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Aislin Schreiber

Invisible Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:23 am
Peace_Sky1999
Girl on Fire 12
Peace_Sky1999
Girl on Fire 12

Haha yeah just a bit.

"What are you gonna do with that when you kill it?" "D*mn you, Gale! It's not funny!" laughed so freakin hard at tht

I liked "That is mahogany!". Me and my friends laughed so hard at that.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 am
look at you, you killed a place mat.  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

foxy-kitty-meow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm
Well, getting back on topic. Madge comes from Margret which means pearl... Snow because he's so cold... Coin because of how stingy and limited 13 is... I found nothing else...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:40 pm
I'm guessing Cinna comes from cinnamon. And Clove is also a spice. Ya, I opened my cabinet this morning and saw both of those. lol  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 pm
Well the Capitol names are usually Latin. The Capitol seems to be inspired by the Roman Empire based on the lifestyle of excess and the whole gladiator arena thing, so that makes sense.
I don't know if it was intentional, but Portia and Cinna are characters in Julius Caesar. Cinna is a minor conspirator. Portia is Brutus' crazy wife.
There's also a poet named Cinna, but his entire purpose is to get attacked by peasants because they think he's "Cinna the conspirator".
Other minor Julius Caesar characters include Flavius, Cato, and Octavia.

Also, most of the districts have names that have to do with their export (Wiress, Glimmer, etc.), but District 2 also had Latin names, like the capitol's people (Cato, Enobaria, Brutus).
I have no clue what the names actually mean though. XD

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:51 pm
Cato in Latin means good judgement(ya he doesn't ahve very good judgement). Clove is German and it means a nail, spice. Rue is Greek and it means herb of grace. Madge is Greek and it means pearl. Portia is Latin and it's a Roman clan name. Gale is Celtic/Gaelic and means a stranger(in the dictionary it means something else I already mentioned). Posy is English and means small flower. Rory is Celtic/Gaelic and means famous ruler, red. Octavia is Latin and means the eighth. Pollux is one of the brightest stars in the sky. Castor is Pollux's twin star which makes sense. Cressida is in Medieval and Renaissance tellings of the Trojan War. Messalla last name of a Roman Rpublic consul in 226 BC. I couldn't find them all, but if I forgot any go to name meanings and post them in this forum please!  

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100

abiru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 am
Here are a few (some have been mentioned already, but I was surprised by Snow's first name because I've read a lot of Shakespeare and I didn't catch it!): Name Explanation  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:38 pm
I was just wondering that as I finished Mockingjay this morning... and somehow my thoughts wondered to their names.

I know that rue is a type of flower. I don't think anyone's mentioned that. heart  

Monkeys that Squeak

Ruthless Consumer

9,000 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:06 pm
abiru
Here are a few (some have been mentioned already, but I was surprised by Snow's first name because I've read a lot of Shakespeare and I didn't catch it!): Name Explanation

Thank you for that website. I figured out that Thresh means to toss about violently...look it up in the dictionary for further detail. And I found out a couple weeks ago that my dad was almost named Seneca, I told him he should shave his beard like Seneca Crane's and he said "Heck no!"  
The Capitol.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff