Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Monstrous Gladiators [My CR > Your CR!] Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:50 pm
Warning: Jumbled mass of ideas here! Mostly because I can't find my notebook and I wanted to put this somewhere before I forgot anything.

I've seen a few gladiator games done, in a few different ways, mostly involving the players controlling a team of gladiators, being a gladiator, etc...

Made me wonder. What about using monsters as gladiators? (Perhaps gladiator isn't the right word, but the idea is there - monsters fighting monsters).

Everyone would make a character like normal, and this character would be the owner of his or her own house and small monster pit. Instead of buying a bunch of first-level human warriors and fighters, you buy monsters and pit them against each other. You buy a batch of recently captured goblins, maybe a displacer beast, and sic them on your opponent's beasties. (Reason: Maybe slavery is outlawed, but the law is poorly written and allows for slavery of monsters instead of humans, elves, dwarves, etc... ).

The player would control the monsters in combat so long as he adheres to their mental ability scores. Animals would kill what they need to (possibly the closest creature depending on how hungry they are) while mindless creatures follow commands given before the battle by their masters.

The point of the character having a sheet? For everything out of the battle. Perhaps a Profession (Promoter?) check to drum up interest in his team for a fight. Perhaps he uses Stealth to sneak into another person's place and poison their creatures before a big bout.

You could even, as you gain levels, go out and capture your own beasts to acquire things a little more exotic. In the meantime, a cohort you select can control things in your stead (essentially allowing you to still do the battles, the behind-the-games things, while hunting (as a group, or solo, or with a bunch of people you hired... maybe even some monsters you put through the arena?).

The idea of using humanoid gladiators is interesting but I think it might get old... expanding it out into the entire monster manual though? Capture a young dragon and use it to fight your competitors, rising through the ranks until maybe an iron golem takes it down. Perhaps you get a group of kick-a** kobolds that rise through the ranks and take on things not meant for them.

Roleplay Opportunities:

• A "Viewing Box" thread that overlooks a given pit/fight, allowing people to observe the fight (in-character), comment, boast, and the like.
  • Any behind-the-battles intruige, perhaps a secret meeting with a competitor to join/rally against another who is dominating the arenas?
  • Adventuring when trying to locate new creatures or beasts, perhaps you run into people along the way who you can try to recruit?

Rollplay Opportunities:

• Use profession/craft/perform skills to make money.
  • Sneaking in (either yourself or people you've hired) to another person's barracks.
  • Adventuring always has rolling.
  • And of course - the arena itself, where your monsters duke it out against others.

Gaining XP:

• Win or lose; both you and your beasts gain XP for arena fights.
  • Roleplaying.
  • Adventuring, in-city or out.

Acquiring Wealth:

• From fights your beasts won.
  • Perhaps you make a bet against (or for) your opponent's creatures, winning indirectly?
  • Adventuring always has it's own rewards.
  • Selling creatures, perhaps one has grown too old to be useful.
  • Pure profit from arranging fights between your own beasts on your land?

I mean, it sounds like there is a lot of possibility for everything yet centered around a single idea: monsters fighting monsters.

Everyone would start out at level 1 with a small plot of land (probably a 1-story house, a pit with some cages) and as they gain wealth and fame they pay to grow their land, facilities, and array of creatures. Everyone would probably start out with some kind of beastie; a group of goblins, orcs, kobolds, low level stuff.

Monsters, I think, would be allowed to level. They'd only gain XP from fights (unless you bring them with you) and gain more racial hit die or class levels (depending on the creature; no Octopus Rogue(s)!).

Fights wouldn't have to be strictly to-the-death, of course there would be more reward in those. You can outfit yourself (and beasts) however you desire.

Thoughts, opinions, things that should be considered?

Disclaimer: I probably wouldn't run this, and if I did, it'd probably not be without help. Former of me not doing it would be more likely though. Feel free to swipe. ;p  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:53 pm
... can these monsters that battle each other fit in your pocket, thus making them "pocket monsters"?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm
Through enough applications of reducing and shrink spells. Or perhaps a magical white and red ball that allows easy transportation and capturing of possible fighters.

So yep!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm
why not just make it a summoners duel? Cause other wise, to me it seems like pit fights.

And what happens if the person has somekind of link with their monster, ie a telepath or the like... do they get to over ride the monster's mental ability?  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:01 pm
Rain Yupa
... can these monsters that battle each other fit in your pocket, thus making them "pocket monsters"?

I've got a monster in MY pocket... If ya know what I am saying.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 pm
Rain Yupa

MAAAUDKIPP!  

Arc Vembris
Crew

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 pm
This is is a VERY intriguing idea! I'd be very interested in getting in on this. I'd even be willing to run it. ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 pm
If it is 3.5 ill co run, and play as well.  

Vampfighter1
Crew

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm
I personally want to run the finance system, cause its like running my own DNd Economy Empire.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 am
I can only imagine playing these two in this game.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
DOHohohohohoho  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am
Mongooseh
I can only imagine playing these two in this game.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
DOHohohohohoho

How delightfully morbid XD

"Didja see that Waldorf?"
"That owlbear just tore that goblin's head off!"
"Well it could've been worse."
"Yeah, he could still be here having to watch this dribble!"

"DOHohohohohohohohoh!"  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 am
"I dont envy that Mind Flayer"
"Why?"
"He isn't going to have a lot to flay down there!"
"DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO"  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:35 pm
If the two of you want to give it a go, just make sure you PM me a link to the game so I can check out how it goes. xD  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:42 pm
Captain Ragnar Devonin
If the two of you want to give it a go, just make sure you PM me a link to the game so I can check out how it goes. xD

I actually wouldn't mind a bit of your input in trying to get this thing up and running. Seems like there's gonna be a lot of prep work and I think another perspective would be useful.

Right now the biggest question on my mind at the moment is 'how do you value each monster in GP when it comes to buying and selling?'

I'm also trying to figure out how everyone's starting monsters would be determined. I was thinking of something like generating a list of monsters the pits have up for grabs and how many of each kind are available. Then everyone would have a total of 2 CR to spend.  

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:53 pm
I only gave much thought to that with regards to Pathfinder, since Pathfinder gives everything an XP value (like CR1 = 400 XP). A direct translation to GP would be a bit low (400 GP may sound right for an Orc, but as you get higher the amounts don't even out). I'd probably have used that as a baseline, then gave creatures discounts/price increases depending on their rarity. So a rare monster might cost as much as a creature 2-3 CR higher (or just double/triple), and as the competition ramps up into the teens, weaker beasts (CR 5 or less) would start to get discounts (like price equal to CR minus so much, or straight up 1/3rd, 1/2, 3/4s, etc.. ).

For 3.5e, I never gave it much thought (like Pathfinder way more now) but I assume using the CR as a baseline would work. Or just go find the CR = XP chart in Pathfinder and use a mix of the two.

As for starting creatures, I'd probably create 'creature packs' that have the same CR.

Like, picking CR2. Then creating 5 - 10 creature packs.

Pack #1: Goblin [times x enough to equal a CR1-2 encounter]
Pack #2: Kobold [times x, same]
Pack #3: etc..

Perhaps though that may be in the wrong direction. Maybe it should be decided first just how much land they start with. If they start with a 1-story house and what is essentially a hole in a the ground, even keeping 5 - 6 goblins would be risky since I'm sure it wouldn't take much for them to jump the lone character (let alone more wild beasts). But if they start with small estate, training ground, and barracks (with about 2 or 3 employed guards), then 5 - 6 goblins could be fine.

But yeah. That's about the best I got for that off the top of my head. I doubt it will be very helpful.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff