Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Polyamory Guild

Back to Guilds

Polyamorous education, discussion, support. 

Tags: polyamory, polyamorous, poly, nonmonogamy 

Reply Gaian Polyamory Guild
Updateish on Gay Marriage issue in Canada, good xtra article

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pom Graines
Captain

Familiar Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 pm
Canadian Gov't Dissolves Same-Sex Marriages that had been legally performed for non-residents. More information, a few more quotes but..still wtf

I just... have no words for this. What the flying hell.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm
cat_stressed
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Mame.  

Esiris
Crew

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Pom Graines
Captain

Familiar Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Esiris
cat_stressed
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Mame.
I would say it's a pleasure, but under the circumstances I wish there was nothing to bring to your attention sad

I need to figure out what I can do to fight this.... this is ridiculous and terribly unCanadian.

Honestly, I would still fight and it would still be bad if they decided that from now on they aren't going to accept marriage license requests from those who are not Canadian residents, but it wouldn't be THIS much of a slap in the face and a ******** YOU.

I mean... for ******** sakes if they're not going to honour them the least they can do is stop passing them the ******** out, or better yet, not to have started in the first place.

Cross-boarder marriages and divorces are tricky matters- they're the government, they know this already. If they didn't want to participate in divorce proceedings of non-residents then they shouldn't have participated in their weddings either. :/ But to just say "oh yeah... that... no, we did say you're married. You paid us the fee, you got the licenses and everything... but you're not *really* married, you know, and we won't divorce you either. Bai!"  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:42 pm
Actually. ******** you Canadians too.

Not out problem? It ******** is our problem. Why the ******** are so many people wanting to wash their hands of this?

Some reactionary articles pushed things too far, made too many leaps, however the base is still the same - our marriage system, especially where it applies to non-residents, is ******** flawed. This *is* our problem.

This guy knows what he's talking about. This is what I've been thinking all the while. This is still an issue and I just... am really tired of all this s**t and ******** bigots spewing their racists, sexist, nationalistic s**t everywhere.

Oh foreigners are demanding we change our charter! No. Canadians are demanding we change a flawed section of our legal system to be more ******** everything right now.  

Pom Graines
Captain

Familiar Citizen

Digital Fiend

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 pm
That's so despicable and childish. To dissolve them all, after people went through the trouble to go there and pay the fees to get married in the first place.

Not to mention, I bet some people won't even know they're not married anymore.

Of course, it's sad that people can't get married in their own countries to begin with...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:56 pm
Kitty Konspirator
That's so despicable and childish. To dissolve them all, after people went through the trouble to go there and pay the fees to get married in the first place.

Not to mention, I bet some people won't even know they're not married anymore.

Of course, it's sad that people can't get married in their own countries to begin with...
I'm going to change the first post because I realize that I edited the title and not much else, oops >.<

The marriages weren't dissolved, articles that were starting to emerge about this initially got some points wrong. And with international personal law that's actually understandable @.@

For a summary of what's going on url=http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/The_samesex_marriage_matter-11363.aspx]This Xtra articleexplains it nicely. And summarizes my opinion of the mtter.  

Pom Graines
Captain

Familiar Citizen

Digital Fiend

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm
Didn't actually have time to read the article the first time, I think I was going on either the original post or something someone else said in their posts.  
Gaian Polyamory Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games