Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
The Awkwardness of RPing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wee Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:56 pm
Not sure if this belongs here but it technically is OOC smile

Anywho. I wanted to discuss the emotional involvement with RPing. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I was thinking about this since I was out of the RPing scene for a bit thanks to school and social obligations, and I was debating on where to go for my RPing. I've joined a few sites, but mostly I stick to Gaia as its usually the most PG-13. Anywhere else... you get a lot of people wanting to get into sexual and fetish-based stuff it seems.

But one thing I always noticed... are people getting too emotionally involved. I can understanding having pride in the story and characters you've created, but I feel getting emotionally attached to the characters, the RP, or even your RP partner(s) is a bit excessive.

I remember in one community I was a part of... it was a decent sized one. They even made a chatroom for the group. There was one person who as particularly popular with RPs. He had quality plots and nicely designed characters. So of course he was popular. But I swear everytime we were in the chatroom, this one girl would come in and start pestering him like some jealous girlfriend. "Hey [forgothisname]... I replied yesterday..." (a couple minutes later) "I see you're online. Think you could reply...?" (later) "So I see you got a story going on with [insertnamehere].... don't got time to reply to mine? sad " He'd try to sweetly explain he had quite a few RPs going at a time and he'd get to it as soon as he could. But every night, there she was.

I've had similar situations, but nothing as bad. I especially hate it when someone think that since their character has a bond with my character, that they have a bond with me sweatdrop

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Kind of feeds into my theory that some RPers simply do it to fill a void in their life...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 pm
Yeah.... x3 Actually because I kept a roleplay going for a year with someone, I ended up adding them on facebook. xD *Note that I was younger and stupider. However, it turned out pretty cool cause he was a legit person of the age he said to be who changes his photos very often so I assume it's not a fake account. He's foreign too so I ended up going from a roleplay to a few culture lessons. Hehe.

Secretly though, I fear that people I haven't responded to for awhile might not be happy when I reply to other roleplays more recently. Dunno why, just a really minor, insignificant thought.  

ZeldacatVampire

Wheezing Bloodsucker

17,625 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100

I Be Athena

Dapper Gekko

5,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 pm
^This. Because when a character responds unhappily, it's the character. Like some of my characters can be rude, but I really hope I'm not. But not responding... Well it's a way to show aggravation without going into a rage.

It's also really awkward when you join a roleplay... but it never starts. Especially if you put a lot of time and effort into the profile and whatnot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 pm
Well, with the example you gave makes the girl seem like she has nothing better to do then pester people about roleplaying. I've dealt with people like that and I find them rather annoying. I mean, I have a life y'know?

But anyways, I always find an emotional attachment to my characters and roleplays. But maybe that's because I'm an author. Though automatically assuming that I can create attatchments to real people through characters is a little far fetched. I would never imagine having such feelings for other people. Of course, making friends with them isn't that bad.

People who think that they CAN create a relationship because their characters are romantically involved in someway are a bit ridiculous. Once again, I believe it has something with having nothing better to do. That or people don't have real friends and try making some through roleplaying.

To avoid them is my best solution. I'm not willing to create some werid relationship with a guy I roleplay with. That's just creepy. I mean, does anyone KNOW about Internet safety? What if that guy is a *****>  

Timecraze

Shirtless Fatcat

Wee Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm
I can understand having an attachment to your characters and the story, especially if you've put a lot of effort into developing that store. I've really only had one RP partner who I was proud to be RP partners with. We've come up with some amazing stories that if I someday get the effort to write... will see about translating over into a book or something.

But I just hate the awkwardness when the person gets attached to you. I've been RPing with my current RP partner for 2 years and all I really know about him is his name, he's a history major, and he lives in Texas.  
U/C

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games